Rotators in the grill, on the hood, on the fender or "down low"

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
stansdds said:
From the mid-1960's through the 1980's, Henrico County FD (Virginia) put Vitalites at the front corners on or just above the bumper and up high at the rear of their apparatus.

Trivia: the last rig with bumper rotators was the 1999 Pierce Quantum at E-10. The station captain at the time was also the chair of the apparatus committee and was quite a traditionalist when it came to some things. Although the Division had stopped ordering the rotators on the bumpers by this time, he outfitted his new rig with Code 3 550's on the rear bumper once it was in their quarters.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
delcofirecop said:
when i was a kid we have a vollie squad in philly where i grew up it was a community ambulance they had some cool rigs. one had a code 3 xl fullsize in the front on the box a mini on the rear of the box and two tear drops on the front fenders it was a ford f350box. it also had 2red flashers with a white middle on on the sides of the fenders in a triple mount they were a bit smaller than par36 bulbs. one rig had the same front light bar with just flashers on the box but it had 4 dual beam bubble gums on the box roof one in each corner they we.re clear lenses with one clear and one red bulb each. and one rig had a red whelen strobe on each corner of the box on the roof and they all had the tradtional powercall a staple in the philly area for years.

The intersections you mention are usually STT lights, like the one pictured below. Single brake lights were also used. Weldon had the "primary" light market with its sealed beam round, then rounded edge square lights, which were the standard box light. The intersection light was often an aftermarket light meant to go somewhere else. Whelen began offering a 7x3 strobe and dual bulb halogen 7x3 soon after the idea of intersection lights became popular. From the 1980s until mid 90s your ambulance box came with Weldon or Whelen 9x7-ish flashers, two choices basically. The intersection lights were a toss up though for years, which led to cool things being tried. Now you can get a solid 7x3 led from CODE3, FedSig, Whelen, Tomar.... and they all look like a slightly fluted clear lens with LED and optics... in the 70s, 80s and 90s you could play spot the lower level lighting innovation/fail as a game on long trips in the car.

signalstat.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Travelin Man said:
Trivia: the last rig with bumper rotators was the 1999 Pierce Quantum at E-10. The station captain at the time was also the chair of the apparatus committee and was quite a traditionalist when it came to some things. Although the Division had stopped ordering the rotators on the bumpers by this time, he outfitted his new rig with Code 3 550's on the rear bumper once it was in their quarters.

Thanks for the info! I wondered when Henrico ceased installing the rotating lights. Now it seems everything is strobe and LED. Effective, yes. Less current draw, yes. Less maintenance, yes. But strobes and LEDs lack the character and charm of rotating lights.

Reactions: Lightbarnut

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Anyone who likes rotators in the headlights needs to snag a couple of these Code 3 lights up! Too bad they are Code 3 or I'd buy 'em!

E-bay auction #261231920366

Reactions: kitn1mcc

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
ERIC6913 said:
Anyone who likes rotators in the headlights needs to snag a couple of these Code 3 lights up! Too bad they are Code 3 or I'd buy 'em!

E-bay auction #261231920366

This seller has some other interesting items as well, like a Sireno Model 199 Sky Lighter beacon: 261231919300

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
50theman said:
Hanover did it too. They also used tear drops.

The Midland Fire Dept. had a 1951 Jeep that was a chemical truck and was stationed for many years at the airport. It had a siren-light combination mounted in the center of the hood and a pair of Adam-12-type lights mounted above the windshield. I got to ride in that Jeep a few times when I was a kid. I think they sold it sometime in the '70s or '80s.

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
2010_10_03_las-vegas_eng18_trk18_bat2.jpg

We still use one on Clark County Truck 18 a Whelen half bar R/B right above the grill in addition to the 1/2 roof bars and 4 strobes on the front of the bucket.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
EngCo4 said:
Sure would love to find one of those old International ambulances!
Rodesome of my first VFD calls on one like it!

I was just going to ask if that one is still in service. My ambulance service had two Internationals,both of them lowtops. One was a 1962 model that we bought from the former Baker Ambulance Service in Odessa in 1972. Baker had moved their operation from Montana to Texas in 1965, bringing the '62 Internat'l and a stretched Pontiac station wagon ambulance with them. The International was a rugged old beast since it had seen duty in that cold Montana climate. It was replaced in 1974 by a 1965 Olds VistaCruiser wagon that had been built as an ambulance. The second International was a '63 model that had belonged to Metropolitan Ambulance in Amarillo. This old truck was famous as it was used by the Roundup! herbicide people in their national TV ads back in the early '70s. We got it in 1976.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
EngCo4 said:

Skip Goulet said:
I was just going to ask if that one is still in service. My ambulance service had two Internationals,both of them lowtops. One was a 1962 model that we bought from the former Baker Ambulance Service in Odessa in 1972. Baker had moved their operation from Montana to Texas in 1965, bringing the '62 Internat'l and a stretched Pontiac station wagon ambulance with them. The International was a rugged old beast since it had seen duty in that cold Montana climate. It was replaced in 1974 by a 1965 Olds VistaCruiser wagon that had been built as an ambulance. The second International was a '63 model that had belonged to Metropolitan Ambulance in Amarillo. This old truck was famous as it was used by the Roundup! herbicide people in their national TV ads back in the early '70s. We got it in 1976.

Funny story about that ambulance, and the whole organization. The squad was all volunteer and closed sometime in the early 2000s, when my hometown's ambulance service also closed in favor of a private company based out of the town which covers both areas. My town's service, building, and equipment was given to the private squad, but the one from the picture was closed up completely. Everything remains in the building, 2 ambulances that are still plugged in and run, and some of their equipment and jumpsuits. The building is right next to the fire department, so they keep one of their trucks in there as well. The other ambulance is a 1980s chevy with an Aerodynic lightbar. The international still goes to the Christmas parade though!

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
EngCo4 said:

I remember as a kid seeing NYPD Emergency Svc International Harvester Travelalls. I've searched the www, and I can't find any photos of one. Does anyone have any photos of one that they could post? Thanks.

kd0giz

Jun 8, 2010
New Liberty IA
The neighboring district has an international commercial crew cab pumper with federal signal ivp's sitting on the corners of the front bumper. I like how they match with the vector on top.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
theroofable said:
Funny story about that ambulance, and the whole organization. The squad was all volunteer and closed sometime in the early 2000s, when my hometown's ambulance service also closed in favor of a private company based out of the town which covers both areas. My town's service, building, and equipment was given to the private squad, but the one from the picture was closed up completely. Everything remains in the building, 2 ambulances that are still plugged in and run, and some of their equipment and jumpsuits. The building is right next to the fire department, so they keep one of their trucks in there as well. The other ambulance is a 1980s chevy with an Aerodynic lightbar. The international still goes to the Christmas parade though!

My friend Steve Lichtman is a paramedic at the Baltimore airport and is a longtime member of the Professional Car Society (PCS). He really likes the old Internationals and has two or three (if not more) in his collection. If you go to the PCS website, there's a thread about "Carrryall" ambulance. The web address is: Professional Car Society Home page.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Seattle FD used to use Unity RV-15s on the fenders of their rigs. Saw this on Emergency when Johnny and Roy visited.

Photos can be seen if you search Seattle FD Kenworth. They used conventional KW cabs. The Last Resort is a collection of these old rigs

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
This probably is a bit off, but I recall an older movie with a cop that had a cash register thrown through is unmarked cruiser windsheild in a botched robbery. He commandeered some old lady's white galaxy convert able. He took the magma until firebeam with ultraflash off the dash of his car and stuck it on the hood of the galaxy. That light was on there most of the movie. It was red to the front blue to the rear. But the mirror had What appeared to be small speakers on the ends for siren

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
This probably is a bit off, but I recall an older movie with a cop that had a cash register thrown through is unmarked cruiser windsheild in a botched robbery. He commandeered some old lady's white galaxy convert able. He took the magma until firebeam with ultraflash off the dash of his car and stuck it on the hood of the galaxy. That light was on there most of the movie. It was red to the front blue to the rear. But the mirror had What appeared to be small speakers on the ends for siren
1996 movie "Carpool." Federal FireBeam (don't know if dual speed or reg speed) with red/blue filters, UF7 flash mirror, and side "siren speakers" where the other mirrors should be. Kinda goofy, but it's only Hollywood. They make the unbelievable believable :haha: .

ai246.photobucket.com_albums_gg82_Mercer36_carpoolFirebeam_zpsfa949b0e.png

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
When Dodge and Plymouth big block engines ruled the road as County Mounties in a plain brown wrapper (1974?) I saw Beacon Ray juniors mounted within and behind the grill. Others used Dietz or Federal Vitalites. More beam spread than sealedbeam lights, for sure.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I remember a bracket that tension fit over the top of front bench seatbacks with a roof sized beacon that flipped down behind the seat in stowed mode and flipped up to position atop the seatback in emergency mode. Can you imagine a 2 or 4 bulb beacon rotating right next to your right shoulder while racing to an emergency or chasing a speeder?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I remember a bracket that tension fit over the top of front bench seatbacks with a roof sized beacon that flipped down behind the seat in stowed mode and flipped up to position atop the seatback in emergency mode. Can you imagine a 2 or 4 bulb beacon rotating right next to your right shoulder while racing to an emergency or chasing a speeder?
That was a product of Federal Signal and I suspect the light produced by a sealed beam beacon from inside the vehicle would have been highly distracting.  That might be the reason you don't see those things often.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Federal Signal had the over the seat light. It had a Federal 14 light on it. Dailey out of Chicago had a less fancy bracket with a Darley Action light on it. Illinois State Police use to run a Beacon Ray Jr. on the seat bracket. Very cool looking.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Not sure which one, but I remember seeing a picture of the Federal flip up light in a thread on here, along with a little discussion. Cool idea for sure, but definitely distracting!

Reactions: TritonBoulder47

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Yeah, this is the one. I remember seeing them in catalogs, never saw one in person.

Can you imagine running with one of these activated??

post-28-140090948658_thumb.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
11.jpg

Different safety standards then....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JazzDad

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Mercy Ambulance in Grand Rapids, MI, used to have Fireballs on the front fenders of their type IIs.

attachicon.gif
46721.attach

Photo property of Dave's EMS website.
Suburban Ambulance (Oakland & Macomb County) used to feature this identical setup with a pair of Fireballs on their hoods. I think they only had the van-based vehicles in their fleet. Speaking of Suburban Ambulance.. there sure is a real lack of pictures of that bygone company on the Internet. 

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
While I generally appreciate the early innovations and evolution of the warning equipment market, with some of this stuff you have to wonder "what where they thinking??"

Reactions: stansdds

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.