SCBA air tank of some kind??

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
These were in the lot of other stuff at auction. Being the police about all I know is that it is Firefighter gear. Can anyone shed light on if they are worth anything..... THX

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoJul12104933.jpg

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoJul12104949.jpg

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoJul12104915.jpg

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
amccullers said:
They are worth something, they still have 11 yrs of life left in them. Are you wanting to sell them? PM sent.

I would like some information also. Put me in line after Andrew

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
Cool, my two biggest questions would be; What would be a ELB fair price to sell them at and are there any restrictions to shipping them, i.e. ground only, etc??

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
NPS Ranger said:
Luxfer L45S is still a current production model. Just remember they have to be hydro'ed every 5 years and thrown away after 15 years. Since the date shown is 2004, they would have to be discarded after 2019 which is 8 more years.

Luxfer position concerning life extension of DOT CFFC carbon composite cylinders - Luxfer: Setting The Standard Worldwide

Thanks NPS, I did the wrong math. I remembered 15 yr span but forgot what year it was.

I do not know any shipping regs, I have always recieved mine by ground.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
NPS Ranger said:
Luxfer L45S is still a current production model. Just remember they have to be hydro'ed every 5 years and thrown away after 15 years. Since the date shown is 2004, they would have to be discarded after 2019 which is 8 more years.

Luxfer position concerning life extension of DOT CFFC carbon composite cylinders - Luxfer: Setting The Standard Worldwide

Thanks NPS, I did the wrong math. I remembered 15 yr span but forgot what year it was.

I do not know any shipping regs, I have always recieved mine by ground.

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
one of those would be cool as hell to put in my firefighting themed room.

Already got the hose and lightbar......or should that be lightbarS. The former chief of my former FD had a D chemical extinguisher for sale during the annual rummage sale the FD had. It either sold or he put it back in the house, cause it was gone wheen I went back around :(

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
NPS Ranger said:
I may be wrong but if it's empty, it shouldn't have any shipping restrictions.
I use to sell MSA SCBA;s when I worked for a large distributor down south.

Being the SCBA Carbon Fiber Tanks are pressurized there ARE shipping regulations with all 3 services (USPS, UPS, FedEx)

Tank must be empty prior to shipping with the valve open and the tank can only be shipped via ground ... no overnight air mail etc...

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
ark_firefighter said:
I use to sell MSA SCBA;s when I worked for a large distributor down south.

Being the SCBA Carbon Fiber Tanks are pressurized there ARE shipping regulations with all 3 services (USPS, UPS, FedEx)

Tank must be empty prior to shipping with the valve open and the tank can only be shipped via ground ... no overnight air mail etc...

Thanks!

That makes sense.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
ark_firefighter said:
It says your PM inbox is full ... did you happen to score some SCBA's with those bottles ?

Sorry about that, PM box is now cleaner, LOL

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
They are 30 minute 2216 PSI cylinders, they can also be filled to 3000 PSI for a little more air time.

Clarence

Edit: The L 30+ cylinder can be filled to 3000 PSI ,the L30 cylinder shown is rated at 2216 PSI, my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

birdx51

Apr 15, 2011
IN US
Clarence H said:
They are 30 minute 2216 PSI cylinders, they can also be filled to 3000 PSI for a little more air time.
Clarence

Bad idea....... The brass pop off valve is designed to blow at 3000 psi. imagine overfilling your stomach by 784 psi.. how would you feel........

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
NPS Ranger said:
Luxfer L45S is still a current production model. Just remember they have to be hydro'ed every 5 years and thrown away after 15 years.

Not quite.

It is certified for the rated pressure for 15 years or until failing hydro, which ever happens first.

At lower (no-certification) pressures, it has an indefinite lifespan. There are a bunch of things that you can do with a high-quality, lightweight, low-pressure tank.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
Can anyone chime in with what they should go for......

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
SoloRTP said:
Not quite. It is certified for the rated pressure for 15 years or until failing hydro, which ever happens first. At lower (no-certification) pressures, it has an indefinite lifespan. There are a bunch of things that you can do with a high-quality, lightweight, low-pressure tank.

That's like saying bald tires have an indefinite lifespan, because you can use them for boat fenders on docks. Since this is an emergency equipment forum, it's reasonable to assume people are looking to buy these for use with SCBA which was their intended purpose.

After 15 years composite tanks shouldn't be re-used, as per US DOT regs, and no qualified retester will jeopardize their license by doing a hydro on them. Nobody should be refilling them off the cascade when the chief isn't watching, either. The regs are designed for YOUR safety, to reduce the chances of them blowing up suddenly when inches from your spine, or while being refilled.

Also remember that many people have been killed by 2 1/2 gallon fire extinguishers blowing up, when pressurized to the nameplate pressure of only 100 PSI. That's why they have to be hydro'ed every 5 years too. But hey, if you're qualified to over-ride the DOT, UL, ANSI, OSHA, and the manufacturer... go for it. Do people use outdated SCBA tanks for refilling tires? Sure. Do roofers use them to shoot nail guns? Sure. Do people use them for nitrous bottles on riceburners? Sure.

Do people take old extinguishers and fill them with gasoline to wash down parts? Sure. Was Darwin right? You bet.

Also remember these things all have serial numbers, just like firearms, and can be traced through test records. You or the department that disposed of them might face some legal liability if the tanks injure somebody after they were supposed to be scrapped. Me, I check the date before I refill a tank even if the fire is right in front of me. You do as you wish. :thumbsup:

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
NPS Ranger said:
That's like saying bald tires have an indefinite lifespan, because you can use them for boat fenders on docks. Since this is an emergency equipment forum, it's reasonable to assume people are looking to buy these for use with SCBA which was their intended purpose.

After 15 years composite tanks shouldn't be re-used, as per US DOT regs, and no qualified retester will jeopardize their license by doing a hydro on them. Nobody should be refilling them off the cascade when the chief isn't watching, either. The regs are designed for YOUR safety, to reduce the chances of them blowing up suddenly when inches from your spine, or while being refilled.

Also remember that many people have been killed by 2 1/2 gallon fire extinguishers blowing up, when pressurized to the nameplate pressure of only 100 PSI. That's why they have to be hydro'ed every 5 years too. But hey, if you're qualified to over-ride the DOT, UL, ANSI, OSHA, and the manufacturer... go for it. Do people use outdated SCBA tanks for refilling tires? Sure. Do roofers use them to shoot nail guns? Sure. Do people use them for nitrous bottles on riceburners? Sure.

Do people take old extinguishers and fill them with gasoline to wash down parts? Sure. Was Darwin right? You bet.

Also remember these things all have serial numbers, just like firearms, and can be traced through test records. You or the department that disposed of them might face some legal liability if the tanks injure somebody after they were supposed to be scrapped. Me, I check the date before I refill a tank even if the fire is right in front of me. You do as you wish. :thumbsup:

Just thinking outside the box, what would the issues be for using them as portable air for tools? Are there any? Or would I be better off staying with the CO2 portable tanks I currently use?

Paramedic

Oct 15, 2010
CAN
NPS Ranger said:

What do you think about the Quick-Fill system ? I'd personally never ever -think- of having a bottle refilled on my back.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
LOL:confused: (being just the police, you guys are losing me in all the air pressure talk).

I just keep wondering if they are worth trying to sell?

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
dcsru said:
LOL:confused: (being just the police, you guys are losing me in all the air pressure talk).
I just keep wondering if they are worth trying to sell?
No, not worth anything all. Maybe you should just send them to me:D But, seriously, with the relatively short life left in them, I would try to sell them cheap here or sell them locally. There may be someone here who has a low budget department that could really use them. If you don't sell them and are worried about someone getting a hold of them and getting hurt, I have seen departments drill holes in the tank, the neck, wherever they can get thru to ensure that they will no longer hold air (after all air has been let out). At the very least, it would be a nice donation to a struggling department that has MSA SCBA. And by the way, you can buy/make adapters to refill paint ball guns that have high pressure tanks off of those scba tanks also.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Paramedic said:
What do you think about the Quick-Fill system ? I'd personally never ever -think- of having a bottle refilled on my back.

:eek: Seriously?? That doesn't sound like a good idea at all....... Besides, it takes a while to fill a tank... I was always taught to fill slowly to keep the bottle temp down. Neither here nor there in ref to the OP, just had to comment.

To the OP, I imagine you could google SCBA tanks and get a reasonable price range, if you wanted to sell them, or as was suggested, find a local fire department that needs them and donate.

Paramedic

Oct 15, 2010
CAN
MSA sold a system that was said to re-inflate a whole bottle in less than a minute. I'd rather strap C4 to my chest and play with the detonator.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
I'm not sure of the details, but the Delaware State Fire School has MSA stuff for the on-site SCBAs. I think 30min tanks, with a quick-fill station with a couple hoses. Takes around a minute to refill a bottle.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
MX7K_Collector_2010 said:
one of those would be cool as hell to put in my firefighting themed room.

Already got the hose and lightbar......or should that be lightbarS. The former chief of my former FD had a D chemical extinguisher for sale during the annual rummage sale the FD had. It either sold or he put it back in the house, cause it was gone wheen I went back around :(

LOL guess i never told you, i have a survive air steel tank and pack and facepiece. :D

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
HFD eng1ine said:
LOL guess i never told you, i have a survive air steel tank and pack and facepiece. :D

My secondary volly dept is still running those on the engine. lol :bonk:

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
NPS Ranger said:

There are dozens of low-pressure (no hydro needed) uses for which out-of-date SCBA tanks are the best choice and which are "emergency equipment" related. They make great tire inflators, fire extinguishers, compressor accumulators, etc., they don't corrode and they are lightweight.

I bought a load of beyond-life SCBA tanks a couple of years ago for $1 each from state surplus, and a week later the local FD bought all but the couple of them that I wanted to keep, paying me $20 each, then came back and bought all of the valves for $40 each. I gotta kinda figure that they had something in mind for them that nothing else was as good a choice for.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
low pressure composite bottles,there is still some life left in them for breathing air pending a new hydro test. otherwise they can be used for air tools ,cleaned for other uses such as nitro tanks for vehicles,etc . a quick search on google you can get $80-$150 per bottle. they go about $350-$450 new.. big thing is make sure when they are sold to make the seller sign a disclamer or something of another means to make them understand need for current hydro and or testing and or need to have tanks serviced/cleaned if they intend to use for other then breathing air and or tools so you cya.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
TCO said:
low pressure composite bottles,there is still some life left in them for breathing air pending a new hydro test. otherwise they can be used for air tools ,cleaned for other uses such as nitro tanks for vehicles,etc . a quick search on google you can get $80-$150 per bottle. they go about $350-$450 new.. big thing is make sure when they are sold to make the seller sign a disclamer or something of another means to make them understand need for current hydro and or testing and or need to have tanks serviced/cleaned if they intend to use for other then breathing air and or tools so you cya.

Thanks, the disclaimer thing is good advice!!

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
How about this one?

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoJul19131223.jpg

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoJul19131229.jpg

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoJul19131304.jpg

and I am guessing that these are holders for tanks?

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoJul19130807.jpg

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoJul19130836.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.