Screen shots from EMERGENCY!

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Thought you might enjoy these. I'll add em as I go along.

Here we have a late 60s/early 70s Crown snorkel truck. LA County Fire Department. Truck 127. This truck was actually at Station 127 which is the real fire station that they shot the TV Series out of. The Robert A. Cinader memorial station. Note the additional driving lights below the front end. This one had 2 of the beacons on top on each side of the roof compared to just 1 in the center. Isn't this a sweet rig? I love the snorkel trucks. Also note the Battalion Chief's Dodge or Plymouth or AMC car and the light set up it has on top.

Season1Ep12.jpg

What Station 127 has now. Truck Company 127 consisting of Engine 127 and Quint 127. I believe they also have a reserve foam carrier rig in there too. (Foam 127)

FS127.jpg

Q-127-3.jpg

Foam127_zpse4493ed9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I visited that station a few years back. Its a lot smaller then the tv show makes it appear. Other then the kitchen and day room modifications the station is pretty much the same as it was during the show. The guys that are stationed there are very nice, and welcome visitors. In fact the day I was there one guy was telling me people come from all over the world to see that station.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
twodogs603 said:
I visited that station a few years back. Its a lot smaller then the tv show makes it appear. Other then the kitchen and day room modifications the station is pretty much the same as it was during the show. The guys that are stationed there are very nice, and welcome visitors. In fact the day I was there one guy was telling me people come from all over the world to see that station.

I know it's on my bucket list.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Note that the Crown Snorkel truck has a speaker below the windshield. If the truck is late 1960s it probably has an early Federal PA20A siren with the low-pitched wail and yelp tones. The sound technicians would have dubbed in a different siren sound instead. All they had were the PA20, B&M and Q siren sounds.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Is it just me, or is the Mack still sporting a CTS Twinsonic?

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
That is awesome, good eye Stansdds! Love the Mack with the CTS that's the best part of the truck! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I first set foot in Station 127 in the early/mid 90s. To say that Jack Webb was a stickler for details is an understatement, I commented at the time it was like stepping inside my television.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
stansdds said:
Is it just me, or is the Mack still sporting a CTS Twinsonic?

It most definetely IS a TwinSonic. We have to assume it's a CTS. Someone suggested it was an 8000. I can kind of see that from the distance and angle. But closer inspection reveals "corners" and a TS style speaker grill. It's cool to think there is still a CTS housed at THAT station. I visited 127 back in 2009. Didn't have the nerve to knock or go in. But I was in childhood awe just standing in the driveway.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
they did change to GE radio in middle of the show run

also i surprised me at that LACO Fd only has one channel

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
RyanZ71 said:
View attachment 66659

Here ya have it, a photo of the radio and siren stuff inside the Squad.

That siren is a Federal PA20, not a PA20A. I can tell because it has a bright red flat manual control button and it has the 'alert' tone instead of hi-lo. The PA20 is a much older siren than the PA20A. Production of the PA20 ended in 1966.

So if this is the original Squad 51 radio and siren outfit, then the siren sound that was dubbed in for Squad 51 is correct. The siren sound that was dubbed in was a PA20 running in 'manual' mode.

The first Engine 51 (the 1965 open cab Crown Firecoach) was also equipped with a PA20. A B&M mechanical siren sound was dubbed in for that truck.

I don't know which version of the Interceptor is installed in the restored Squad 51.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Note that the battalion chief car has the 'platter' on the roof. The typical 'platter' as shown on Emergency! has a Federal C5G mechanical siren.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
SaschaUE said:
i visited the station this year.
yes it is a CTS on the Mack :)

Incredible! That CTS has to be at least 30 years old. Awesome to see it is still in service. Even though the Twinsonic had the aerodynamics of a cinder block, Federal Signal built them to last.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Truck 9.jpg

Truck-9 Sorry about the quality, I tried and tried but this was the best I could get. Anyone wanna take a stab at the make and model? It is BEAUTIFUL regardless!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
RyanZ71 said:
View attachment 66918

Truck-9 Sorry about the quality, I tried and tried but this was the best I could get. Anyone wanna take a stab at the make and model? It is BEAUTIFUL regardless!

It's hard to tell for sure in the photo, but it looks like an old Peter Pirsch truck to me. They were famous for putting the FL8 Mars light in the middle of the hood, and even down on the front bumper. Siren appears to be a C5GB.

As to the Batt, Chief's car, it should be a Plymouth Belvedere. Joe Ortiz who leases vintage emergency vehicles to the movie studios has a cherry '62 Plymouth Batt-mobile. Very nice car, like most of what Joe has.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
RyanZ71 said:
Thought you might enjoy these. I'll add em as I go along.

Here we have a late 60s/early 70s Crown snorkel truck. LA County Fire Department. Truck 127. This truck was actually at Station 127 which is the real fire station that they shot the TV Series out of. The Robert A. Cinader memorial station. Note the additional driving lights below the front end. This one had 2 of the beacons on top on each side of the roof compared to just 1 in the center. Isn't this a sweet rig? I love the snorkel trucks. Also note the Battalion Chief's Dodge or Plymouth or AMC car and the light set up it has on top.

View attachment 66464

What Station 127 has now. Truck Company 127 consisting of Engine 127 and Quint 127. I believe they also have a reserve foam carrier rig in there too. (Foam 127)

View attachment 66469

View attachment 66470

View attachment 66471

I've always liked that Snorkel...with the twin beacons. Odessa FD had a similar Snorkel truck, but it wasn't a Crown. I think it came from Snorkel, if I remember correctly, and it was an early '70s rig that they got rid of about 15 years ago. I got to see it in action....probably one of its last runs....one Sunday afternoon. A guy jumped from a 3rd floor window at Medical Center Hospital, landing on balcony just below the 2nd floor. The guy was DOS, but it took the Snorkel to get him down.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Where I live the city FD had snorkel unit on a Hendrickson chassis with the low profile cab. The truck had dual Dietz 711 beacons on the roof and a Federal CP25 speaker mounted on the bumper on the passenger's side. The original siren was a Federal PA15A series 1E, but I think it was replaced with a lower pitched electronic siren (I don't know what brand). It was even neater looking than the Crown snorkel truck in the photo above.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Skip Goulet said:
It's hard to tell for sure in the photo, but it looks like an old Peter Pirsch truck to me. They were famous for putting the FL8 Mars light in the middle of the hood, and even down on the front bumper. Siren appears to be a C5GB.

As to the Batt, Chief's car, it should be a Plymouth Belvedere. Joe Ortiz who leases vintage emergency vehicles to the movie studios has a cherry '62 Plymouth Batt-mobile. Very nice car, like most of what Joe has.

That's an old FWD, or Front Wheel Drive.

The Four Wheel Drive Auto Company, more often known as Four Wheel Drive or just FWD, was founded in 1909 in Clintonville, Wisconsin, as the Badger Four-Wheel Drive Auto Company by Otto Zachow and William Besserdich.

Zachow and Besserdich developed and built the first successful four-wheel drive (4x4) car, the "Battleship", in 1908. Its success led to the founding of the company. "Badger" was dropped from the name in 1910.

The success of the four-wheel drive in early military tests prompted the company to switch from cars to trucks. In two world wars, U.S. and Allied armies depended on such four-wheel drive vehicles.

FWD vehicles were made with a track width of 4 ' 8½" so they could quickly be used on a standard gauge railway line merely by changing the wheels.

A Canadian subsidiary was set up in conjunction with Dominion Truck of Kitchener, Ontario by 1919.

A British subsidiary was set up at Slough in 1921. In 1926, the British FWD, also known as the Quad, was produced with a larger 70 bhp engine.

A relationship with premier race car constructor Harry Miller resulted in the Four Wheel Drive Miller that competed successfully at Indianapolis in 1931 and later. This car, with lockable center differential, is arguably the first modern all wheel drive car. One example survives and has competed in premier vintage race car meets such as the Goodwood Festival of Speed. "The Last Great Miller" by Griffith Borgeson gives a complete history of this landmark car.

In 1932, AEC took a controlling interest in the British company and began to use more standard AEC components in the Slough-built vehicles. To distinguish these from imported U.S. FWD vehicles, they were marketed under the name Hardy. Production ceased about 1936, but AEC exploited its experience with all-wheel drive in its Second World War Matador (4x4) and Marshall (6x6) vehicles.

In 1958, the company's name was changed to FWD Corporation.

In 1963, FWD acquired Seagrave Fire Apparatus who then moved from their old location in Columbus, Ohio, to their current location at FWD in Clintonville, Wisconsin. Many tower ladders in the 1990s using Seagrave chassis were branded as FWD. They used Baker Aerialscopes for the boom which FWD had also acquired over the years along with Almonte Fire Trucks.

Randolph Lenz, Chair of FWD's parent company, Corsta Corp., became embroiled in a Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation suit and in 2003 all assets of FWD: FWD Corporation, Seagrave, Baker Aerialscope and Almonte Fire Trucks were sold to an investment group headed by former American LaFrance executive James Hebe. Today, the Seagrave group is a flagship company of ELB Capital Management.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
ouch.jpg

And here we have the beauty. 1973 Ward LaFrance (not to be confused with AMERICAN LaFrance/ALF) P80 Ambassador Engine as seen in the Episode: Snakebite where Engine-51 has to transport Gauge down a mountain and to Rampart Hospital after being bitten by a rattlesnake. Any of you ever transported a patent like this? <grin>

Someday I hope to be able to find a 73 or similar year P80 to restore like original E51.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
RyanZ71 said:
View attachment 67081
And here we have the beauty. 1973 Ward LaFrance (not to be confused with AMERICAN LaFrance/ALF) P80 Ambassador Engine as seen in the Episode: Snakebite where Engine-51 has to transport Gauge down a mountain and to Rampart Hospital after being bitten by a rattlesnake. Any of you ever transported a patent like this? <grin>

Someday I hope to be able to find a 73 or similar year P80 to restore like original E51.

I've done it. Transported on a hosebed (high water), on the floor of a squad truck and in the back of a Marine Corps amtrac, and in the back of my old Jeep Cherokee (snowstorms).

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
Wailer said:
That siren is a Federal PA20, not a PA20A. I can tell because it has a bright red flat manual control button and it has the 'alert' tone instead of hi-lo. The PA20 is a much older siren than the PA20A. Production of the PA20 ended in 1966.

So if this is the original Squad 51 radio and siren outfit, then the siren sound that was dubbed in for Squad 51 is correct. The siren sound that was dubbed in was a PA20 running in 'manual' mode.

The first Engine 51 (the 1965 open cab Crown Firecoach) was also equipped with a PA20. A B&M mechanical siren sound was dubbed in for that truck.

I don't know which version of the Interceptor is installed in the restored Squad 51.

The Crown Engine in the first year was actually Engine 60 on occasion Engine 127 was used as they were identical. The siren dubbed was a PA20A not a B&M. B&M's were dubbed for a lot of the Engines used in scenes such as the opening in the pilot.

$1000.00 Question: Can anybody tell me what was wrong with ALL the ambulances used on the show? Bonus question: what was wrong with the first "box" ambulance used?

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Yes, that's FWD. It's right there at the top of the grill.

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
Skip Goulet said:

It is a FWD brand truck (The Four Wheel Drive truck company)

http://chicagoareafire.com/blog/tag/fwd-fire-apparatus/

Clarence

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
MARSMAN said:
The Crown Engine in the first year was actually Engine 60 on occasion Engine 127 was used as they were identical. The siren dubbed was a PA20A not a B&M. B&M's were dubbed for a lot of the Engines used in scenes such as the opening in the pilot.

$1000.00 Question: Can anybody tell me what was wrong with ALL the ambulances used on the show? Bonus question: what was wrong with the first "box" ambulance used?

I'll take a stab at it: None of the ambulances had steady burn red lights facing the front. The first box ambulances on the show had blue flashers mounted on the box...blue wasn't used in CA at the time, and I don't know if ambulances ever have used blue in CA.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
RyanZ71 said:
View attachment 67081

Lubbock FD ran a number of the Ward-LaFrance trucks for some time. They were a bit more well lit than Engine 51. Lubbock ran 173 and 174 beacons on top flanked by four Federal LL4 lollipops (2 red, 2 blue) and a pair of CP25 speakers powered by Interceptors. Many years ago I saw a case where a fireman got hurt at a working fire in Lubbock and he was loaded onto a reserve engine rather than waiting for an ambulance.

One Saturday back in the early '70s when I had first gotten my standby ambulance service up and running, I had stopped by AID Ambulance in Lubbock, which was the contract service. I had dispatched for AID back in their earlier days and had just stopped by to visit, but got pressed into dispatching for an hour or so while the owner and his brother went for a quick lunch. One call that I took was for an MVA involving a motorcycle at an intersection only a block from LFD's Station 6. But LFD didn't respond with ambulances in those days. But just a couple of minutes after I had dispatched the closest ambulance, LPD called back to cancel the ambulance, saying that the victim had decided to go by private vehicle. Once I left AID's office I headed for Highland Hospital, where one of my EMTs worked as an orderly. I had gotten him a replacement name tag and decided to take it to him while I was out. So after giving him his new tag and a quick visit, since he was working, I started back to my car exiting through the ER entrance. I heard a siren coming that way, and assuming it was AID coming in I waited for a minute. But much to my surprise it was the Batt. Chief's car (a ' red'65 Plymouth wagon) from Station 6; and when they rolled into Highland Code 3, I figured that they had a injured fireman. But when they stopped, the Batt. Chief and then-Captain Brand exited, along with the captain's on, Larry, who was a good friend of mine. He exited the wagon holding both hands in an awkward position, so I asked him what had happened. His reply was that he had wrecked his motorcycle a block from his dad's station. So I told him about having been at AID and having taken that call which was cancelled. He told me that he had AID cancelled because he wanted my ambulance to come get him. But the cops told him that since AID was the contract service he had to ride with them, or not at all. And that's when he had them call his dad. And when the cop realized that was a fire captain, he was embarrassed. And he got a good chewing from both the batt. chief and Larry's dad. Politics, politics!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.