Seattle pd does vintage

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
The NYPD needs to do this. I think that seeing a bunch of old Furies and Diplomats with the various old styles of paint, lighting and uniforms would really help out the NYPD PR.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
So THIS is what they mean when they say they're "bringing sexy back"

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Now thats a guy that enjoys his job!! :yes: :2thumbs: :popo:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'm going to through a wet blanket on this fire. Using vintage cars as active duty vehicles is a bad idea. It creates confusion in the minds of the civilians. When they see a restored vehicle, they won't know if it's really a police officer or if it's a civilian driving his restored car. It can further open the door for the wackadoos who want to be pretend police officers. Nope, I think vintage and retired police vehicles belong in the parade line, not on the front line. I understand public relations and image, but I think this pushes a little too far.

Now that I've ruffled some feathers, I will put on my Nomex fire suit and await the flames.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
stansdds said:
I'm going to through a wet blanket on this fire. Using vintage cars as active duty vehicles is a bad idea. It creates confusion in the minds of the civilians. When they see a restored vehicle, they won't know if it's really a police officer or if it's a civilian driving his restored car. It can further open the door for the wackadoos who want to be pretend police officers. Nope, I think vintage and retired police vehicles belong in the parade line, not on the front line. I understand public relations and image, but I think this pushes a little too far.

Now that I've ruffled some feathers, I will put on my Nomex fire suit and await the flames.

While I do like the vintage look of the car, I have to agree with you on this one.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
stansdds said:

Ditto, I have to go with your signature on this one

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
stansdds said:

I hear what you're saying, but it sounds like they are using it as a Community Policing tool just like bicycle or mounted patrols:

The initial intent behind the Plymouth was to use it as a community relations and educational tool, drive it in parades and that sort of thing. But Ritter began to notice that people were attracted to the car. In one of the first instances, he said apparent gang members approached him, dropped their swagger, and wanted to chat about the car.

Talking to the public has become "effortless."

You're right. It's unusual and non-uniform... but it's exactly those traits that allows the community relations aspect of the job to flourish.

I imagine that he tends to patrol the more "downtown" and "touristy" areas... vs the hardened neighborhoods.

I say good for him.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
stansdds said:
... Using vintage cars as active duty vehicles is a bad idea. It creates confusion in the minds of the civilians. ...

You are absolutely correct. I was so confused the other day when my local department was out patrolling in this restored unit.

cruising.jpg

I guess they didn't even use lightbars back then. :confused:

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
stansdds said:

The use of the car started out as a community relations tool for parades and events and the like. However, he discovered that by using the car he was more approachable and made it easier for people to talk to him. Even gangsters will talk to him over other cops. The car is in the Westlake area of Seattle which is a retail section of Downtown Seattle with the main area being Westlake center - a shopping mall.

The Seattle PD is in some serious controversy with a negative DOJ ruling and numerous use of force lawsuits. If this is what it takes to help restore the image and give credibility back to the SPD then I say go for it.

The officer is part of a squad and will respond with other officers, rarely will you see this car by itself.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
stansdds said:
. . . . Now that I've ruffled some feathers, I will put on my Nomex fire suit and await the flames.

Eh, I can see and agree with your point. However, I think that in this case, the positive effects will outweigh the negative effects. Sure there will always be a little bit of confusion and wingnuts who think it's acceptable to impersonate officers. But if it helps put the public more at ease with the police department, then I'd say it's worth it. Also, that car is f#!king badass.

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
JazzDad said:
You are absolutely correct. I was so confused the other day when my local department was out patrolling in this restored unit.

View attachment 50595

I guess they didn't even use lightbars back then. :confused:

Oh boy you just dated yourself & that looks like their Paddy Wagon! :yes: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
As long as the Dept sufficiently publicizes it's intention to actively use the vehicle for law enforcement I see no reason not to use it.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Cool little video done by the AP :thumbsup:

One thing I noticed: The Federal lightbar is NOT an actual Twin Beacon Ray. If you watch closely at the end of the video when the lightbar is operating, the beacons are not synced and alternating as would a true TBR. This is a Visibar crossbar with two Model 14 beacons on it. Maybe that's what Seattle ran back then, maybe not. Anybody know more if they used Twin Beacon Rays or 14s on a Visibar?

Oh, and I "like" that lady at 1:26:rolleyes:. Well, the car's worth more and much better to look at than your stupid handbag, so go screw off.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Most states have laws regulating colors of lights, and markings. California is very strict, and I would bet Washington is just as tough. I do not see a problem with this.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
CrownVic97 said:
Cool little video done by the AP :thumbsup:

You are correct, it is not a model 11 Twin Beacon Ray, but is a pair of model 14's mounted on a Visibar. The question now is did Seattle use Twin Beacon Ray's, or did they assemble their own bars using model 14's or other beacons? Perhaps someone with historical knowledge of the Seattle PD could chime in.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Good eye, Dan! I missed that the first time I watched the video.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Awesome! Would trade the SmartSirens and Vectors for a PA20 and some beacons any day. :hail:

Jesse Volanti

Sep 27, 2011
USA California
stansdds said:
You are correct, it is not a model 11 Twin Beacon Ray, but is a pair of model 14's mounted on a Visibar. The question now is did Seattle use Twin Beacon Ray's, or did they assemble their own bars using model 14's or other beacons? Perhaps someone with historical knowledge of the Seattle PD could chime in.

Yes the Seattle PD had used the model 14 until the mid 1980's, but before that I'd say maybe the models 11 but I do know that the Seattle FD used the model 11 but then whole Seattle PD and FD then switched to federal lightbars. now they use Whelen Freedom lightbars. But then again I could be wrong its been awile. :)

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I can understand you folks concern about having an old car like this on the streets, however I am sure that it's not being used in pursuits and is not involved in too many traffic stops. This car is more meant to be seen. I'd probably assume that this officer helps out at accidents and backing up other officers. I look forward to the day when we see an 86-89 Caprice 9C1 back out there serving the same purpose, or an 89-92 Camaro. Thankfully I had the opportunity to see the old style Camaros and a few of the left over mid to late 80s Mustangs in service by Colorado State Patrol during my teen years. They were great cars back then. What I'd really love to see is a few of the 75-78 Plymouth Fury 440s restored. You'll see em at the "Dukes Fest" for The Dukes of Hazard" stuff.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
Jesse Volanti said:
Yes the Seattle PD had used the model 14 until the mid 1980's, but before that I'd say maybe the models 11 but I do know that the Seattle FD used the model 11 but then whole Seattle PD and FD then switched to federal lightbars. now they use Whelen Freedom lightbars. But then again I could be wrong its been awile. :)

Seattle pd does not use whelen. They are federal signal users. Most cars still have halogen vistas though they are switching to the legend i believe. I will try to get some pics this weekend when i go back to work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.