Security Vehicles... What your company uses..

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
When I worked security, it was for a newer company, so they bought two standard used police cars and marked them clearly with the company logo (reflective). those lasted about 2 years, then we switched to a Hyundai Tucson for mobile patrol, with a civilian impala for our roaming supervisor that drove around to stationary accounts.

Matted33

Feb 6, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
VolEms said:
You do sound racist. Anyone can join the NYPD Civilian Patrol. Its not just for Hasidic Jews. And the NYPD and the City made it to keep NYC safe after they keep cutting cops for budget cuts. For the same reason they painted Aux. and Traffic White and Blue to look like there are more cops on the street.

That's your opinion and your welcome to it no matter how incorrect you are. The only civilian patrol I have ever seen while living in Brooklyn have been the Shomrim Patrols.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I dont understand what NYPD Auxiluary are? Are they voluneer cops or "Reserve" officers like we have down here that are fully operational officers just that they dont get paid? or what the deal?

Matted33

Feb 6, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Station 3 said:
I dont understand what NYPD Auxiluary are? Are they voluneer cops or "Reserve" officers like we have down here that are fully operational officers just that they dont get paid? or what the deal?

I forget what their legal status is, but they are volunteers, they do not carry guns, they can only make an arrest when directed by an actual police officer. They are really like security guards where they observe and report.

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
LawrenceM1993 said:

Dont know why you would not carry a gun but okay i guess if i knew that the Auxilary police was on patrol and i was raping robbing murdering someone i would continue what i was doing knowing that the Auxilary police dont carry weapons besides a batton hand to hand skills and a radio. Down here we have the "Reserve officers" that are Texas Peace officers and have the exact same powers as a full time cop but they dont get paid that is the only difference. "and they are armed"

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Saw this the other day at a local Dodge dealer. I never heard of Loss Prevention having a vehicle, let alone half marked (or marked) at all.

Its a Jeep Patroit belonging to Big Lots Loss Prevention

Big Lots LP RR view.jpg

Big Lots LP LR view.jpg

May 22, 2010
New York City
VolEms said:
You do sound racist. Anyone can join the NYPD Civilian Patrol. Its not just for Hasidic Jews. And the NYPD and the City made it to keep NYC safe after they keep cutting cops for budget cuts. For the same reason they painted Aux. and Traffic White and Blue to look like there are more cops on the street.

i agree, the picture with the pc and the prius, the man is not wearing a kippa .....so i believe he is a goy ( non jew)

the pic of rmp 7821 belongs to the 120 , the pct i live in lol

Ozzy8585

Jan 29, 2011
Ontario County, NY
I used to work mall security and we had a 2000 S10, 2002 S10, and a 2006 Impala civi version. The S10s had amber Starbars with 2 360 strobes, alternating Takedowns, and allys. The Impala had an amber Star Interceptor with takedowns, allys, and an arrow stick. They have since replaced both the S10s with colorados. They both have amber Star interceptor bars set up the same as the S10s but with an added PA/Airhorn. Our security manager decided he wanted to go with graphics that mimicked the local sheriff's cars, but he got cheap and only did half the job and then stuck the ugly rainbow block logo of our parent company on the doors. Our in-house deputy had cleared the graphics with the sheriff before they were marked up.

[Broken External Image]:http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0172562384961_757089960_6775305_6621663_n.jpg

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Ozzy8585 said:
I used to work mall security and we had a 2000 S10, 2002 S10, and a 2006 Impala civi version. The S10s had amber Starbars with 2 360 strobes, alternating Takedowns, and allys. The Impala had an amber Star Interceptor with takedowns, allys, and an arrow stick. They have since replaced both the S10s with colorados. They both have amber Star interceptor bars set up the same as the S10s but with an added PA/Airhorn. Our security manager decided he wanted to go with graphics that mimicked the local sheriff's cars, but he got cheap and only did half the job and then stuck the ugly rainbow block logo of our parent company on the doors. Our in-house deputy had cleared the graphics with the sheriff before they were marked up.

[Broken External Image]:http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0172562384961_757089960_6775305_6621663_n.jpg

Seneca county?

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
FireEMSPolice said:
2007 Jeep Patriot
US Security Associates, Inc.

It has an amber Sho-Me minibar on it.

View attachment 7798

That really not too bad looking. Late model, clearly says it's security vehicle and not trying to look like a LE unit..

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Matted33 said:
Let me try and explain this without sounding like a racist. The civilian patrol is this group called Shomrim, they area a neighborhood watch found in the Hasidic Jewish communities in Brooklyn. They kinda like a neighborhood watch, but they all have NYPD ID cards and they have a very bad reputation.
NYPD Shomrim Society

Shomrim (volunteers) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you ask most NYPD cops, they will tell you that they are an example of the city pandering to their community.

The Shomrim Society is fraternal orginization of Jewish NYPD Police Officers and civilian employees.

The Shomrim patrol is a NYC Hasidic civilian patrol that for all intents and purposes is an NYPD-endorsed vigilante group.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
ahh good ol Winchester. you should see the old plant in new haven. winchester also made light fixtures (guys in the shop did) they are all over that section of new haven in old homes

were i work we use a company called port Security they have a colorado af150 and a few others

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Dusty, thanks for posting that link.

Their Chief of Police is retired OSP. I went to a Bombs seminar last year where he was a speaker. He was telling us about the procedures and drills they do there on campus.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
FireEMSPolice said:
Dusty, thanks for posting that link.

Their Chief of Police is retired OSP. I went to a Bombs seminar last year where he was a speaker. He was telling us about the procedures and drills they do there on campus.

I guess that explains the "OSP" style badge.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
I've worked at several places as security. Unfortunately, I have no pictures (I'll have to see if I can dig up a few here and there).

All told, I have driven the following on patrol:

1996 Ford Ranger

2.5L I4/auto trans/2wd

SVP Aerostar 2000 halogen 44" lightbar - amber

Motorola Maxtrac 100 UHF mobile

Block lettering saying "Chesterfield Towne Center Security" on the doors.

2002 Jeep Liberty

I4/auto trans/2wd

Star Interceptor 36" strobe lightbar - amber

Star strobe decklight - amber

Motorola Maxtrac 100 UHF mobile

Simple logo graphic dress for the doors, and SECURITY on the back window.

1999 & 2000 Ford Explorers

4.0L V6/auto trans/2wd

Federal Signal Jetstream 47" halogen lightbar - amber/clear

Motorola CDM1250 UHF mobiles

Simon Security red/blue standard striping

2004 Honda CRV

i4/auto trans/fwd

Whelen Edge 9M 47" lightbar - amber

Motorola Maxtrac 300 UHF mobile

Simon Security blue standard striping

2003 Ford Explorer

4.0L V6/auto trans/4wd

Regency Square Mall standard striping

2006 Ford Explorer

* This truck, I re-did the install

4.0L V6/auto trans/2wd

Regency Square Mall V2.5 standard striping

Originally, this truck had a bone stock 9M 4-strobe with alleys and takedowns, crappy 6-switch FS SW300 with only 4 switches connected, and a single 360 degree strobe on the back of the roof. I axed the single strobe, put in Predator amber LED modules in the rear & rear side windows, and upped the 9M to have 6 strobes, 2 front LED panels, flashing takedowns, rear halogen flashers, and separate strobe/LED and halogen front/rear modes. I also built a rear storage cabinet to hold our medical bag, AED, sat phone, fire extinguisher, water can, and 200 foot 1-3/4" hi-rise pack and hydrant bag.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
2006 Ford Explorer

* This truck, I re-did the install

4.0L V6/auto trans/2wd

Regency Square Mall V2.5 standard striping

Originally, this truck had a bone stock 9M 4-strobe with alleys and takedowns, crappy 6-switch FS SW300 with only 4 switches connected, and a single 360 degree strobe on the back of the roof. I axed the single strobe, put in Predator amber LED modules in the rear & rear side windows, and upped the 9M to have 6 strobes, 2 front LED panels, flashing takedowns, rear halogen flashers, and separate strobe/LED and halogen front/rear modes. I also built a rear storage cabinet to hold our medical bag, AED, sat phone, fire extinguisher, water can, and 200 foot 1-3/4" hi-rise pack and hydrant bag.

This stuff bothers me in any industry. Why spend all that money on stuff that is not needed (it's security, a 4 head bar is more than fine. the 360 beacon was perfect)? $400 could be used for a few new coats, or employee appreciation lunch, or who knows what else to bost moral for all employees in the security guard department. (The fire extinguisher and water can and first aid bag are fine) This goes on at my place of employment as well. We waste tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars a year on stuff becasue people dont want to take 5 min to figure out a more cost effective way. Meanwhile no one gets raises, or new equipment. Same thing with municipalities, and even the Federal gov. Saving $100.00 and putting it in the general fund starts the mind set of more saving. Eventually that $100 will add up to a bonus for staff, or more money to put towards medical insurance so the deductables can be lowered.

I'm not bitching about security guards, I am just annoyed by the over all waste of money in all industries, in this economy, with so many poeple out of work, and those who are working are slaves to the wage. A security gurad makes $10.00 and hour but the company has tens of thousands of dollars to have cool cars and lights. Police and fire cant get paid decent wages, and have crappy health insurance. Hospitals and medical care charge insane prices, so even with insurance we cant afford to get treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't work security anymore but my old company had a couple brand new Crown Victorias with Liberty lightbars. An old Crown Vic with an edge bar. A few Jeep Libertys with cheapy leds in the windshield and rear window. A couple Ford escapes with china led bars. A Ford ranger with just a mini-bar. And a couple misc vehicles I can't remember. All of the cars had VHF CDM-1250s for radios, and all the lights were amber.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Allow me to clarify. This was in 2006, so the economy was still doing OK. We all started at $12/hr with full benefits and a company-match 401K, so we couldn't complain there. We had very nice gear and uniforms, as well as tricked out patrol trucks and bikes (bicycles). The way I see it, if corporate wanted to pay for it, I'd install it for them. The satphone came about after Katrina, when all the cell networks crashed in the immediate area, so they did a big "what-if" exercise, and bought every mall in the portfolio (Taubman) a satphone. The AED was also facility-provided.

All-told, security waste is mostly due to the big corporate guys. They don't give you $1500 and say "buy a satphone", they just send you a satphone.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have worked for companies in the past where the managers have $250K houses, driving $40k BMW's (company issue) and wearing company-provided Armani suits, while the workers get the cheapest polyester uniforms they can find, with stock "security officer" badges, driving patrol trucks with 250K miles on them, and wearing coats that could double as toilet paper. Not the case with that one place.

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
ok i am going to set the record straight on this one

this is in crown heights brooklyn first of all. second this patrol has jews and non jews i would say 50 50, next this patrol has nothing and i will say it again nothing to do with shomrim.

in crown heights due to stupid dumb feuding, there are 2 patrols shomrim and shmira. This patrol is all about shmira and the cops way of keeping a eye on shmira. Shomrim refused to have any thing whats so ever to do with both shmira, and the nypd. Which is why they are currently person no grata with the nypd in crown heights.

they are 2 patrols that do primarily they same thing but because i have pure hatred they cant get along so there is 2 patrols

from my perspective shomrim gets all the silly stuff, like bosts, lockouts, suspicious persons, etc. Shmira gets the more legit calls, muggings burglary shoplifting etc.

thats all

Matted33 said:
Let me try and explain this without sounding like a racist. The civilian patrol is this group called Shomrim, they area a neighborhood watch found in the Hasidic Jewish communities in Brooklyn. They kinda like a neighborhood watch, but they all have NYPD ID cards and they have a very bad reputation.
NYPD Shomrim Society

Shomrim (volunteers) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you ask most NYPD cops, they will tell you that they are an example of the city pandering to their community.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Let me set the record straight a 2nd time, so pay attention

CHIEFOPS said:
The Shomrim Society is fraternal orginization of Jewish NYPD Police Officers and civilian employees.

The Shomrim patrol is a NYC Hasidic civilian patrol that for all intents and purposes is an NYPD-endorsed vigilante group.

btm757

Sep 27, 2011
Chesapeake/Norfolk, Va
When I worked for IPC international we had 2 Ford Escapes, one was a 2008 and one was a 2011.

The 2011 had the better equipment but still was not the best only because they were lease vehicles and we could only have what the site wanted us to have.

Sorry these are the only picture I have of on of the vehicles last year when we had a ton of snow

166281_1488661867689_1568220115_31028785_1022413_n.jpg

164713_1488661987692_1568220115_31028786_6994192_n.jpg

The new company I work for is in house and our patrol vehicle is a POS Nissan frontier that has seen way better days. It is in no way equipped with any lights. Just lists the shipyard name and security on the door. But hey this is an armed site and I get better pay and benefits. haha

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
I worked for IPC as well. Virginia Center Commons, Regency Square, Stony Point Fashion Park, and occasionally Fashion Centre at Pentagon City and MacArthur Center. IPC went with the Escapes back in 2004/2005. Before that, they bought Honda CR/V's for a tiny bit, along with Saturn Vues. Before that, 2Gen Ford Explorers.

It seems that after IPC lost the Simon nationwide contract, Simon Malls bought the Ford Escapes on their properties from IPC, likely at a steep discount. I see the same Ford Escapes at Ross Park Mall now with Valor, that I saw them driving with IPC International a couple years ago.

Totally unrelated, VCC had two Ford Explorers. 219 (reserve) and 220 (primary). Oddly enough, 220 had sparse equipment. A first aid kit, jumper cables, Code 3 Excalibur, CDM1250, and an SW200. 219, on the other hand, had an AED, first aid bag, road flares, barricades, bike rack, Federal Signal Jetstream, SW300, Maxtrac, hyrdant wrench, spanners, adapter, 250' of 1-3/4" hose and a combination nozzle, and was referred to as "The ESU truck".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.