Shipping Issues, Options, Ideas etc.....

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Edit- This is now the official "shipping issues/opions" thread

John

Help! I've got a buyer (Possibly) for a Twinsonic 12X 55" light bar. The hold up is the cost for shipping. USPS wants almost $90 for shipping based on weight and size. What is everyone else doing to ship light bars cheaply? Also, how are you packing them securely? Any help is greatly appreciated.

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
Last one I received it had tag on the box of 55.00 and came from NY to WV via fed ex .Ryan or Eric could give you a better idea as both do a lot of shipping of bars

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
USPS is cheaper as long as you use Parcel Post & not Priority mail like all the morons on eBay. You can ship an MX7000 for under $35.00 to most of the Continental US.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have shipped several MX7000 for $19 at Fedex, I did ship 2 Vectors in the same package with DHl for about $65. Sometimes an inch or 2 off the box size will drop it $10 so play with the size.

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
I think there has been about 2 or 3 other discussions about this topic,anyhow Fedex will be the cheapest for shipping lighbars .period! but it ranges on region and distance as well and uline sells lightbar boxes,but you have to buy like 10 or more. :ugeek:

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
If you are shipping a Whelen Liberty/Patriot in a Whelen box with no insurance, it is like $35 FedEx Ground/Home. Add the insurance of like $2000 and it is almost more then the shipping costs, but you have to insure it.

If you do not have a Whelen box and have to buy one, as stated it is expensive because Uline does not sell their long boxes individually. You can always see if your local dealer has any old boxes they can sell or give you for shipping, I have done that before. Better and cheaper to use a real box for the lightbar, because packing popcorn is also not cheap. These are reasons why I rarely will buy old lightbars because they are a PITA to ship do to packing costs.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Stop by a bicycle shop, or anywhere that sells bikes, really. The boxes they come in are a too big as-is for a lightbar, but a couple minutes with a knife and you've got a custom box for free.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Corrugated cardboard boxes are best cut with a brand new razor blade. You can get 100 of them for around $5. There's no excuse for destroying a box with a dull pocket knife.

MHPD2215

May 23, 2010
Minnesota
I know I asked this on the old board, but I need to ask again. What's the best, cheap way to ship lightbars? What kind of packaging, what company, etc. Specifically, I am trying to have a twinsonic shipped to me...

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
shues said:
Corrugated cardboard boxes are best cut with a brand new razor blade. You can get 100 of them for around $5. There's no excuse for destroying a box with a dull pocket knife.

I highly doubt the OP is a retard...

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I had an AeroDynic shipped to me from CA in a box. The only packing was stuffed rough paper all around the bar. (about 3" wide all around) That's it.

I guess it wasn't very expensive to pack. I also read it wasn't the best way to pack a bar but it arrived flawlessly, and undamaged. Shipped with Fedex grounds.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
After many issues as the sender and the recipient of trashed bars.... I have come up with the following: I use fedex ground, shipped directly from their hub which saves a decent amount of cash. I buy boxes and bubble wrap from Uline.com, also pretty cheap. I wrap the bar in bubble wrap, slid it in and pad the voids with more bubble wrap or crumpled paper. I charge $30-35 to ship full bars.

I REFUSE to use UPS. Their insurance is a scam, they ship damaged items back to the sender.... so the buyer is out the broken bar and the $$.

USPS is just too expensive for full sized bars.

That said I have all but given up on shipping lightbars worth less than $100, it's just not worth my time.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
its more about size then weight if it is under 80 or so lb. What size box are ya using, my guess is wayyyy to big. play on their website with different box dimensions to see what the rate would be.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
USPS in NY is lazy . I got a package from HPD84 3 days ago. The mailman didnt even bother knocking on my door to give me the package . He didnt even leave the notice just broght it to the PO. When I looked at the tracking it says they attemted to deliver at 1:19pm thats a lie since someone was home. Thank g-d for tracking. I guess Ill go to the PO tomorrow to pick it up.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Anymore, I use USPS for almost everything & UPS when I have something too big for USPS. I don't deal with FedEx anymore because their closest location to me is 30 miles away.

On this Twinsonic...if you have a UPS store (or someplace that sells boxes) get a couple 40x10x10or 40x12x12 boxes. Should be perfect with some cutting/taping/splicing. Even a loaded 'Twin "shouldn't be anymore than 50 LBS. If there are mounts, I would remove them as well & bubble wrap (or box) them/the hardware & put them underneath the bar inside the box.

When I package a lightbar, I used to use just foam on the ends, but now I use that AND 1/2" bubble wrap.

Peanuts would also work instead of the foam but move around too much to "stay" anyplace.

The #1 thing you want to protect when shipping most lightbars are the endcaps, closely followed by the plastic lens(es) themselves. I have found that thick styrofoam works well along with that flexible styrofoam stuff thats' about an inch thick but bend-able (I forget what its' called).

& I know for a fact that UPS will do just about ANYTHING to pin any breakage on somebody other than themselves. They say you have to have 2" of packaging around the object you are sending otherwise they'll call it "in-sufficient" & you're screwed if it gets broken.

I won't even go into the horror stories I have about USPS & UPS & their breakage of things I've sent & had sent to me.

Oh & while we're on the subject, here's a quick breakdown of Tracking services when you send something:

UPS - GOOD; & is free

FedEx - GOOD; & is free

USPS - SUCKS because you can send something & 2-3 days after you send it, the tracking update usually sums it up as "it has been mailed" (well no shit...); & costs an extra .65 or something, basically worthless. However, without it, I've had packages "disappear" for almost a month then magically re-appear.

Hope this helps....

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
lately i have had good luck, as far as damage is concerned with greyhound( yes, the bus service ). after all it sits on a bus when they have empty seats, lol.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
ERIC6913 said:
lately i have had good luck, as far as damage is concerned with greyhound( yes, the bus service ). after all it sits on a bus when they have empty seats, lol.
weird, everytime I shipped with them, it was placed in the exterior storage compartments... :p

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
OK, so the bar shipped today using FedEx for..........drum roll........... $30 bucks! Apparently going to the trouble of going in, giving the weight and dimensions, etc. is a waste of time because the bored clerk just makes up a price!

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Yes, you heard right. The clerk quoted me $150 bucks when I went in the first time. I pretty much figured if she took a giant dump she would turn transparent, so I packed it up, took it in, and it was $30 out the door.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Lets tally up shipping issues with fullsize bars--

UPS-

Average cost $40. 50% damage rate (2 out of 4 bars). All were packed by UPS stores. UPS wants the bars shipped back to the seller at my cost, then they deny the claim for incorrect packaging.

Fed Ex ground-

Average cost $30. 20% damage rate (1 out of 5). Bar was packaged by sender. FedEx paid to ship the bar to their center. Claim was denied for lack of packaging (bubble wrap around bar, peanuts filling box)

USPS-

Average cost $45. 50% damage rate (1 of 2). Bar was packed by sender with peanuts only. Insurance paid out.

May 24, 2010
Albany, Kentucky
Well I ship alot of lightbars, full size and short here is my history. Fed Ex is nonexistant here where I live closes shipper with them is 45 miles from me and their drop box will not accept a 52" long box, for some reason I just can't cram it in there LOL. UPS is cheaper on most bars than USPS but if they break it, 99% of the time it's your fault not theirs, exp. shipped a jetsonic to Cali customer called in about 10 and didn't have their bar tracked it and it was still 80 miles from me, called searched and hunted and they called and said it's coming back and damaged. The box and the email said it was my fault for improper shipping, got the box and it had a freaken set of tire tracks on it!! I couldn't believe that foam and cardboard couldn't hold up a UPS truck, so dissapointed. USPS has a higher rate most times not always and even though i'm afraid to say "I have never had a lightbar damaged by USPS, boy am I asking for it or what?

I have used some different types of shipping materials but here is what I like best, carpet padding around the bar twice, you can usually get it free if you go to an install guy and tell him you'll take all the scraps and used pieces he can give you around 3 to 4 foot long and longer, they don't have to pay to dispose of it and it works great, we have also been using our shredded paperwork to fill voids and shipped some in slightly larger than needed boxes and overloading them with shreaded paper and it has worked well also. I usually make my own boxes from the local furniture store I get the biggest boxes they have roll the bar up in it twice and cut fold and tape up the ends you get 8 layers of carboard on the ends that way and that's where most bars get broke, unless of course UPS tires to change the oil in the truck using your bar for a ramp LOL. Just my 2 cents have a great and blessed week everyone!!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
So for a 52"x14"x14" 30lb lightbar from Ohio to Germany is:

UPS - $450

FEDEX - $440

USPS - too big

I hate to say it, but I'm a in country seller only now. Not to mention the invalid paypal claims, non-honored money orders and damages that are returned at shipper's cost...

I love that this is an international community, but I can't afford to ship over seas anymore.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
If you can go down to 12X12 you should pass it right thru to Germany, I ship twinsonics to Germany alot and use usps.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Try playing with the numbers just a little bit. I just used the USPS International Shipping Calculator and found you can ship a 30 pound package that is 52"x13"x15" for $164.00 Express or $116.45 Priority. If you can buy a box in that size, or cut yours to size, you should be golden!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I did find a way to make the sizes work.... the other issue is this:

USPS will not track or confirm this type of overseas shipping... I had a problem where I couldn't prove delivery of an item and paypal gave a refund to the guy. Unless you can track it, paypal will give the other person a refund.... a big problem. Any suggestions there?

Here is a run down of my last international packages:

1st time, sent item.... never arrived. No tracking available for the size of box via usps

2nd time, sent item, paypal reversed the transaction due to no tracking number.

3rd time, returned the item had to pay return postage

4th time, Money order was fake

5th, sent item arrived damaged. had to foot $80 shipping to get the item back

6th time, went fine

7th time, took 90 days to get there, otherwise fine

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Maybe look into international shipping companies- you know the ones that normally are a smaller company that does both shipping and customs processing. We have a bunch near YYZ and they normally ship cheap, quick and tracked.

Check the yellow pages.

Here is my question- do you all consider Canada to be "international" shipping? (as in, will you ship to Canada?)

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Send it via USPS, but pony up the $164 for Express Mail International. Granted this option is $47.55 more than the Priority Mail International option, but you can have the buyer pay for shipping, and it's still $290 cheaper than UPS and $280 cheaper than Fedex. Express Mail International gets there faster, and does allow tracking!

Source: http://ircalc.usps.gov/PopUps/ExpressMailIntl_help.htm

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
unlisted said:
Maybe look into international shipping companies- you know the ones that normally are a smaller company that does both shipping and customs processing. We have a bunch near YYZ and they normally ship cheap, quick and tracked.

Check the yellow pages.

Here is my question- do you all consider Canada to be "international" shipping? (as in, will you ship to Canada?)

Not really. I'm more talking about over the pond where the rates jump way up.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
shues said:
Send it via USPS, but pony up the $164 for Express Mail International. Granted this option is $47.55 more than the Priority Mail International option, but you can have the buyer pay for shipping, and it's still $290 cheaper than UPS and $280 cheaper than Fedex. Express Mail International gets there faster, and does allow tracking!

Source: http://ircalc.usps.gov/PopUps/ExpressMailIntl_help.htm

Yeah if i can get the box down to 12x12x52 I can do express mail with tracking for $164.... not too bad.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
JohnMarcson said:
Yeah if i can get the box down to 12x12x52 I can do express mail with tracking for $164.... not too bad.

John, you can make the box 13"x15"x52" and ship it for the same rate. Granted it's 52 cubic inches less than a box that is 14"x14"x52", but it's not hard to persuade a box that's 14"x14" into becoming a box that's 13"x15"

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOHCZC

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.