Siren tones recorded for online use.

brbee

Oct 2, 2021
Ohio
Hi, I need some help to recreate an OSHP CVPI in a game. This has been a longstanding project of mine and I can't seem to get some of the last few pieces into place. That being the siren, I know that they use a SS2000SM in the Vics with a HiLo. If anyone can help please either message me or reply to this. Thanks!

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have a premium vision with the hi/lo on the siren. Definately curious as to how the audio can be properly recorded though. I wouldnt imagine you could just turn down the gain on the recording mic because of the overpowering volume of the speaker output.

brbee

Oct 2, 2021
Ohio
I have a premium vision with the hi/lo on the siren. Definately curious as to how the audio can be properly recorded though. I wouldnt imagine you could just turn down the gain on the recording mic because of the overpowering volume of the speaker output.
Yea, beause everyone that has a smart siren on youtube enjoys blowing their ears out LMAO. I think if you like put something in front of the speaker it like muffels it enough to not be as loud from what I've seen. But I'd imagine that wouldn't be very good for the speaker.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Follow the FedSig method of lowering siren output volume with a resistor and use the speaker leads to signal the mic input of your recording device instead of a speaker?

Reactions: fp13-2

brbee

Oct 2, 2021
Ohio
Hey, it's been a couple days. Have you figured out how to record them? If not I can definitely reach out to someone so you can record them.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have a rig that was used in demos for Whelen, it essentially makes sirens play over car speakers. I am looking at adding a "line out" to it today.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have not looked into it yet. John might have the best setup if he locates it.
I have the device, right now the output is a stereo style speaker. I can record from that with a microphone, it's just going to have some inherent loss of quality due to recording a speaker vs. and actual output. I used the device and my phone to record the tones in this thread https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/different-mechanical-whelen-tones.93888/
Take a listen and see if the quality is ok. There is some background noise from me jostling the phone around. When I get the 295Q I just bought I will add that recording too. I'm trying to document as many mechanical tones as I can. I will likely do a video of the 6 versions of the Whelen mechanical tone I have on different sirens at that point.

Last edited:

brbee

Oct 2, 2021
Ohio
I have not looked into it yet. John might have the best setup if he locates it.
There’s this one dude on YouTube that just like buries his speaker in a whole bunch of pillows. Lemme find the vid lmao.

I have the device, right now the output is a stereo style speaker. I can record from that with a microphone, it's just going to have some inherent loss of quality due to recording a speaker vs. and actual output. I used the device and my phone to record the tones in this thread https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/different-mechanical-whelen-tones.93888/
Take a listen and see if the quality is ok. There is some background noise from me jostling the phone around. When I get the 295Q I just bought I will add that recording too. I'm trying to document as many mechanical tones as I can. I will likely do a video of the 6 versions of the Whelen mechanical tone I have on different sirens at that point.
I’m actually like interested on how that would work

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
There’s this one dude on YouTube that just like buries his speaker in a whole bunch of pillows. Lemme find the vid lmao.

I’m actually like interested on how that would work
I have tried that setup too, it has always sound muffled to me, distorts the high pitch too much for my tastes, but it does work.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
When I was first building out my lighting setup, I did it on a piece of plywood and I used a 500ohm resistor on one of the speaker leads to lower the output to a tolerable audio level and it was great. I'm sure recordings from that should be decent without distortion.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here is the device I use. I am playing around with where to place a microphone to avoid distortion.

Attachments

• IMG_20211223_110130664.jpg
    IMG_20211223_110130664.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211223_110206588.jpg
    IMG_20211223_110206588.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 12

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I see, looks pretty complicated Lol.
It's overly complicated by the fact that it was intended to mount multiple sirens and had "mute" buttons on the sides so you could run both sirens and cut one out to compare them. If you removed the dual siren and mute options it would be much more simple. The resistors are over-built and have heat fins as well as radiate heat through the housing so you could play with this demo unit a lot at trade shows. For a single siren you really don't need all these parts or such a beefy resistor. You really just need resistors and speakers of the right capacity and rating.

This thread covers it well

However at the end of the day actually hooking up the speaker and recording the siren outdoors (if you have the open space) might sound the most realistic.

Last edited:

brbee

Oct 2, 2021
Ohio
It's overly complicated by the fact that it was intended to mount multiple sirens and had "mute" buttons on the sides so you could run both sirens and cut one out to compare them. If you removed the dual siren and mute options it would be much more simple. The resistors are over-built and have heat fins as well as radiate heat through the housing so you could play with this demo unit a lot at trade shows. For a single siren you really don't need all these parts or such a beefy resistor. You really just need resistors and speakers of the right capacity and rating.

This thread covers it well

However at the end of the day actually hooking up the speaker and recording the siren outdoors (if you have the open space) might sound the most realistic.
Thats kinda cool how you can mute them and such, and the part with the demo part.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
When I was first building out my lighting setup, I did it on a piece of plywood and I used a 500ohm resistor on one of the speaker leads to lower the output to a tolerable audio level and it was great. I'm sure recordings from that should be decent without distortion.
That's what I recommended

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.