Sirennet - Whelen Ultra Freedom Rota-Beam

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I wonder how many halogen rotators you could buy for what this thing costs and get the same effect, and the same effectiveness. Ridiculous that people are jumping on this and spending fortunes to make their LEDs look like rotators.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Looks good but I would love to see one in person.

Who would have ever thought 20 years ago we would be where we are with warning lights now. Makes you wonder what they can come up with next.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
The whole bar lit up around the 2:00 mark looks great, but I personally wouldn't want a bar that is 100% rotabeam (ie I think a normal freedom with 1-2 center inboards as rota beams would be the way to go).

Unfortunately, however, by the looks of how many LEDs there are in each unit, that ain't gonna come cheap. I'm guessing initial release price is probably gonna trump the duo-legacy sticker price a little & go for somewhere in the $5,500 range a fully-loaded one at sirennet, SNM, etc

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
Feel free to contact me if you are interested in pricing for a specific layout, I am happy to give pricing.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
twodogs603 said:
Looks good but I would love to see one in person.
Who would have ever thought 20 years ago we would be where we are with warning lights now. Makes you wonder what they can come up with next.

I have thought about that as well. I remember it was either strobe or halogen. And we had tons of flashback and didn't complain about it lol

dakarm34

May 21, 2010
Clemmons, NC
Anyone know if they'll make the modules as a stand alone unit, encased? I'd like a set as grille lights.

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
Whelen does have a 600 series roto-beam available

Last edited by a moderator:

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Since my department is STUPID and won't let me have a halogen rotator bar..... I wonder if they would let me have one of these...

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
We can get them right now, we just don't have them on our website yet.

Pm or call me for pricing!

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I think I would want the rotos on the ends with normal heads in the center, they seem like they would be better for intersections with all the angles the heads cover.

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
Agree'd.... Makes me think of FS's SLR Beacon. You can get good class 1 Dual-Color LED Beacons with rotational patterns....bunch of other strobing patterns, WITH NO MOVING PARTS, at 1/3rd of the price. I think the SLR beacon is really neat, but i'd never buy one.

Solvarex said:
I wonder how many halogen rotators you could buy for what this thing costs and get the same effect, and the same effectiveness. Ridiculous that people are jumping on this and spending fortunes to make their LEDs look like rotators.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I should clarify my position by stating I have no issue with all these "rotating" LED products insomuch as them being developed. It's the premium manufacturers put on them, and the blind dedication to tradition that causes departments to buy them solely because of tradition.

I would wager that if you saw the RotaBeam LED next to the 700 series in that bar IN PERSON, the 700 would catch your attention at a distance far better than the RotaBeam. The old automotive engine adage "there's no replacement for displacement" is very much applicable in this industry. That concept was forgotten several years ago when everyone wanted to bring out the smallest LED you could find. Take a close look at the RotaBeam and tell me how many LEDs are actually facing you, directly, at any given angle. Yep, THREE.

Much as I find the concept of rotating LEDs interesting I'm not pickin' up what Whelen's puttin' down. And CERTAINLY not at the price point they have in mind.

Aug 1, 2011
Ballston Spa NY USA
personally when it comes to anything rotator, i prefer the traditional. but my number 1 favorite is the old sealed beam rotators. sure they draw a shit load of power and dont come anywhere close to being as bright as LED's but they're a classic. when the day comes that mechanical rotator lights are 100% phased out and no longer made i will be a very sad person.

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
How about some new technology in Modern 12v Automotive charging systems? How about some sort of "Deep-Cycle Power-Cell" Tech that can run 50ams for 6hrs or better without a feeding power source........that's reasonable in size? Or affordable High-Amp Alternators? :) Just sayin'..........batterys and alternators havn't changed much in 50 years. Someone aught to get on it.....

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Most vehicles don't need it. Even with emergency vehicles now your highest current draw is likely to be your siren at 8 amps (16 at 200W). LEDs have made the high output alternator and dual battery unnecessary unless you're driving a large rig that has other systems to power as well.

Consider this: if, with LED lighting, you are meeting or exceeding your alternator's capacity, you should seriously rethink how many lights you have.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I totally agree that it seems like a lot of money to simulate rotating lights. HOWEVER... I really LOVE the look. And I'd much prefer this style of LED light pattern over that of the UFO-looking, seizure-inducing, color-mixing, retina-frying light patterns (no fewer than 500 now available) of all the other LED bars. But I'm still big on the FedSig SLR and ECCO style of rotating LED lights.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
On the topic of dual-battery systems or high output alternators... What about those of us that still run halogen/strobe lighting and/or have a mechanical siren?

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
Solvarex said:
I should clarify my position by stating I have no issue with all these "rotating" LED products insomuch as them being developed. It's the premium manufacturers put on them, and the blind dedication to tradition that causes departments to buy them solely because of tradition.

I would wager that if you saw the RotaBeam LED next to the 700 series in that bar IN PERSON, the 700 would catch your attention at a distance far better than the RotaBeam. The old automotive engine adage "there's no replacement for displacement" is very much applicable in this industry. That concept was forgotten several years ago when everyone wanted to bring out the smallest LED you could find. Take a close look at the RotaBeam and tell me how many LEDs are actually facing you, directly, at any given angle. Yep, THREE.

Much as I find the concept of rotating LEDs interesting I'm not pickin' up what Whelen's puttin' down. And CERTAINLY not at the price point they have in mind.

Actually if you see the lighthead in person, you get 9 LEDs blinding you if you are looking head on at one of the columns. The lens has a wide enough angle that from more than about 10 feet away you clearly see the output from the LEDs on either side as well.

Also, the Mirrors on the interior Rota-Beam lightheads do work very well to move more light in your direction as well.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
lotsofbars said:
Ugh. Whelen. Please stop and produce something better than the SLR so I can have a hard time deciding between the two.

My take exactly. Same edge bar that's been around since the 80's with some half beacons slapped in there. I know its more complicated than that, and while I certainly like the way it looks on camera and upclose I'd be curious to see how it performs in real life/daylight/from a distance? I wonder if it will suffer from the same problems as other split heads?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.