SLR Rotator now available in red

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Just a quick FYI - the FedSig SLR single-pod LED rotator is now available in red as well as amber.

They haven't made it public yet but it's not a secret either.

List price for the light in either Amber or Red is $499, of course street price will be well below that.

Sorry it's not "Stuart" quality :) , but for what it's worth...

No, it's not bolted to the Valor - I just plunked it there for the video.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Any further information on if new models will be released with additional features like dual/tri/quad color, sweeping and/or other things?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Very narrow "beam".

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
EMT-BLS said:
That is the biggest throw light I've ever seen....

So I take it you've never seen a magnet-mounted Highlighter? Or a Model 14?

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
JazzDad said:
Very narrow "beam".

That's why they rotate it. Same beam as a Sentry halogen beacon or other halogen beacon.

The narrow/focused beam is what makes it so bright. You're essentially getting 10 LEDs focused into a narrow beam. On lights with stationary modules (L31, etc), you have to sacrifice intensity to give you off-axis light.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
dmathieu said:
How does the output compare to the eight 3 Watt LED hybrid ECCO Rotator?

Intensity - I don't know. The SLR has a more complex reflector and 2 more LEDs (actually 4 more, but 2 shine straight up), so I would think the SLR is brighter. The Ecco shows as meeting SAE Class1 for amber but Class2 for red. The SLR meets Class 1 for both colours.

The SLR can be programmed via a jumper for 75, 90, or 120 rpm. From the Ecco data sheet, theirs is fixed 125rpm.

The SLR draws 1.8a, the Ecco draws 2.2-2.3a.

From past history with the 4-LED version of the Ecco, it's almost indestructible. The SLR isn't as tough. The Ecco we had here a few years ago literally would bounce off the floor and still work. I wouldn't do that to the SLR.

Cheers

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
leftcoastmark said:
Intensity - I don't know. The SLR has a more complex reflector and 2 more LEDs (actually 4 more, but 2 shine straight up), so I would think the SLR is brighter. The Ecco shows as meeting SAE Class1 for amber but Class2 for red. The SLR meets Class 1 for both colours.

The SLR can be programmed via a jumper for 75, 90, or 120 rpm. From the Ecco data sheet, theirs is fixed 125rpm.

The SLR draws 1.8a, the Ecco draws 2.2-2.3a.

From past history with the 4-LED version of the Ecco, it's almost indestructible. The SLR isn't as tough. The Ecco we had here a few years ago literally would bounce off the floor and still work. I wouldn't do that to the SLR.

Cheers

Thank you Mark.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
foxtrot5 said:
Any further information on if new models will be released with additional features like dual/tri/quad color, sweeping and/or other things?

Sorry, no. I haven't specifically asked, but I don't believe they are working on any other versions of the SLR rotator.

The V-SLR (same rotator, but more in the "vision" pod style) could theoretically be set up to do multi colour, as the Vision SLR pods are available either in single or quad colour, but I don't know that there is any movement on FS's part to bring that kind of product to market in a single-pod format.

The SLR (as opposed to the V-SLR) was originally designed for the Amber market. They have now released it in red for the Fire market. It's designed for Upper Zone C on fire apparatus. It's a good light - very bright, and a true rotator pattern, and simple. However, it is not designed for a "throw" light (not available in mag mount, unless you want to add your own magnets), as much as I'd like to use it as one.

OTFD122

May 24, 2010
SE Michigan
There was a FedSig Rep in our area with a single, magnet mount 4 color SLR pod. It had the FedSig 6 button controller (like the SS200) controlling it and it could do everything from rotate, oscilate, takedown, alley, flash... It was freakin' sweet. When asked if FedSig has plans for a production model, he smiled and said "no... and if they did, you wouldn't want to know what it would cost". Bummer, because it was an awesome light with tons of functionality

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
OTFD122 said:
There was a FedSig Rep in our area with a single, magnet mount 4 color SLR pod. It had the FedSig 6 button controller (like the SS200) controlling it and it could do everything from rotate, oscilate, takedown, alley, flash... It was freakin' sweet. When asked if FedSig has plans for a production model, he smiled and said "no... and if they did, you wouldn't want to know what it would cost". Bummer, because it was an awesome light with tons of functionality

Yes, I have one of those too. FedSig's engineers custom built a few for their reps and larger distributors and I was lucky enough to get one. Mine has a plunger switch on a 1' cord that allows me to cycle through patterns. Basically it's a nice way to demo a full vision slr bar without having to have the entire bar present.

You CAN get a 3-pod Vision SLR that has 2 single-colour and 1 multi-colour "smart" pod - list is $1750. The single V-SLR lists for $725. I would imagine if they made a quad-colour multi-function SLR or V-SLR, you'd be looking at a $1000 light.

Last edited by a moderator:

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
nerdly_dood said:
So I take it you've never seen a magnet-mounted Highlighter? Or a Model 14?

Neither of which qualifies as a throw light. A throw light is a teardrop, Vitalight, Fireball, pancake light, DashLazer, Cadet, Responder...etc.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
leftcoastmark said:
Just a quick FYI - the FedSig SLR single-pod LED rotator is now available in red as well as amber.

They haven't made it public yet but it's not a secret either.

List price for the light in either Amber or Red is $499, of course street price will be well below that.

Sorry it's not "Stuart" quality :) , but for what it's worth...

No, it's not bolted to the Valor - I just plunked it there for the video.

It's been listed in their Red/Blue catalog as available in red for some time.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
badge22 said:
Neither of which qualifies as a throw light. A throw light is a teardrop, Vitalight, Fireball, pancake light, DashLazer, Cadet, Responder...etc.

Thank G-d, I felt really ignorant for a second.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
badge22 said:
Then I guess since the theory of throwing those up on the roof makes them throw lights, a magnetic Model 14 is big enough that you gotta use two hands and put your back into it and say "ungh", that kinda thing... call it a heave light? :rolleyes:

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
They should build domes that have very minor warmers on them, so that these can be used on snowplows and the like. Would be super effective!

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
lotsofbars said:
They should build domes that have very minor warmers on them, so that these can be used on snowplows and the like. Would be super effective!
They already make those, and the heaters just happen to double as the light sources. Been making 'em since 1948 in one form or another too.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
nerdly_dood said:
Then I guess since the theory of throwing those up on the roof makes them throw lights, a magnetic Model 14 is big enough that you gotta use two hands and put your back into it and say "ungh", that kinda thing... call it a heave light? :rolleyes:

Wow, you learn quick! :thumbsup: I'm impressed. :popcorn:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I have a broken sarcasm detector. I don't know what's happening anymore. :weird:

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
nerdly_dood said:
They already make those, and the heaters just happen to double as the light sources. Been making 'em since 1948 in one form or another too.

Yeah that's OLD, this is newer so is much better!

I want one in amber/white and stick it on the back of Sprinter, amber for general hazard warning, white when backing out, I'm a courier.

Actually maybe the 3 pod Vision SLR would be better on the back, with a full SLR up front.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
Looks effective! Only thing I can complain about is it looks kinda cheezy. From the pictures i just think the lense seems really thin. I'm being picky but I just don't like the looks of it. Not sure what it is but when I look at a whelen led beacon they just look solid. This one doesnt.

IMHO...

Kent

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
lotsofbars said:

with the amp draw of a heater, even minor, you might aswell use halogen, its cheaper!

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
HFD eng1ine said:
Looks effective! Only thing I can complain about is it looks kinda cheezy. From the pictures i just think the lense seems really thin. I'm being picky but I just don't like the looks of it. Not sure what it is but when I look at a whelen led beacon they just look solid. This one doesnt.

IMHO...

Kent
I have to agree. I went looking for LED beacons after I posted and noticed the Whelen LED beacons "look" like they would cope with getting hit by trees better then the SLR, thinking about possible placement on the back of the roof on a hightop Sprinter.

Richard P said:
with the amp draw of a heater, even minor, you might aswell use halogen, its cheaper!

You missed this post:

nerdly_dood said:

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
If you could rig a dashlaser or hot shot mirror to work with this thing, it would be one hell of a dashlight.

Jesse Volanti

Sep 27, 2011
USA California
This light would look good as a clear lens colored Led's But what company besides Federal or Ecco make a rotating up facing led beacon not very many all that I've seen out there are flashing or strobe effect but they are much brighter than Halogen or strobe but everyone has there own taste and style but for the price halogen is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Led. If it comes in blue red or what ever the color at least it is Made in America. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.