Small but irksome

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
The only beacons that used "DOMES" were the Federal 15, the 17-176 series, the MARS RB series and some Dominion lights. All the rest used 'LENSES'. A dome is a lens, but a lens is not a dome. A dome is a hemisphere. It is like fingernails on a blackboard seeing everyone use "DOMES" incorrectly. Let's try to get it right folks.

My $.02 worth today.

John Dorgan

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Sirenman said:
The only beacons that used "DOMES" were the Federal 15, the 17-176 series, the MARS RB series and some Dominion lights. All the rest used 'LENSES'. A dome is a lens, but a lens is not a dome. A dome is a hemisphere. It is like fingernails on a blackboard seeing everyone use "DOMES" incorrectly. Let's try to get it right folks.
My $.02 worth today.

John Dorgan

I gotta disagree with ya John...... words evolve and become commonly used for things they weren't initially intended. I think the word dome is now so commonly used to describe any lens that acts as an enclosure on 3 sides that it's acceptable.

One of the more open definitions in the dictionary is:

Dome- A vaulted object having a circular, polygonal, or elliptical base and a generally hemispherical or semispherical shape.

I have had to learn to stop cringing when people say "halogen piercer" when they mean pierce alert....... people aren't going to suddenly learn the correct names for things just because it upsets us. :hissyfit:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I hear you on that John, and John, and agree with both, BUT, both Federal, and Whelen call their beacon lenses DOMES, no mater what the shape, at least in their vintage catalogs.

Dan

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
For what it's worth, when I was working as a student for the Municipal Public Works, were the beacons sealed beams, rotators, strobes..... all of the switch tags for the single roof beacons said: "Dome", whatever the beacon shape...

Right or not, it was commonly known as a dome.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
And there is no 'e' at the end of the word 'lens'.

It is 'lens', not 'lense'.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
1 up to you..... it bothers me more than this because I probably do this above /\

LED strobe..................... discuss?!?!?!? :thumbsup: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :duh: :duh:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
What ever you call them, lenses or domes, I think the person you are talking to will get the picture.

That said, when talking personally to someone that I know it matters to, I try to refrain from scraping my fingernails on the blackboard.

Dan

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Sirenman said:
My $.02 worth today.

John Dorgan

John,

with all due respect, you forgot at least one. I got a Baader Brown today and it had a dome on it.

Todd:D:D

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
This seems like a pointless use of bandwidth. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an intelligent discussion, but were talking mainly about parts terminology here vs. proper English. A lens is what you put on an edge bar or in the lower deck to provide the desired color for a flasher. Then again, there are those who would call the latter a filter. either way, there are multiple accepted terms, but I'd have a hard time calling an MX dome a lens. My $0.02.

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
A rather small but irksome occurence has been happening on this web site of late. The naming of all lenses as DOMES! Lenses, other than the Federal model 15A, 16, 17, 173, 174, 175, 176, 312, and 371 as well as the Dominion and Baader Brown beacons, are NOT domes. There may be others that I have missed, but you get the gist of it. They are simply lenses. A dome is a rounded hemishpherical structure. Lightbars do NOT have domes. Even the WHelen beacons and bars had flattened semi dome shaped lenses but not true domes.

Let's face it, you don't call a lens on a Twinsonic a box, but that is what it more closely resembles. They are called lenses people. Let's get it right.

John Dorgan

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Sounds more like "The Ring" material...

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Sorry Mary. It's been industry standard calling the outer, one price each side covers, domes. Lenses go on edge/liberty style bars, and stand alone heads. Filters go over rotators, or in front of a light source under a dome.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
ccsobaker said:
Maybe it's dejavu, but wasn't there a thread on this exact same subject about a month ago?

yes, no idea where it's at though.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
lotsofbars said:
No matter what ANYONE says, though, there will NEVER EVER EVER be such things as "LED strobes."

You never know - if someone comes up with LEDs of a high-enough wattage, they could probably use a normal strobe power supply...

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
To me a dome is what covers a light on all sides, a len's only covers one side

What also irks me is when someone pointed to a lightbar and calls it "sirens"

IE: What is the name of those Sirens on top of that car.

I've heard it several times at many car shows in Michigan, Illinois and Canada

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i heard a news reporter say that on the news yesterday...

"there are sirens on down there on the interstate"

he was looking at a TDOT camera that doesnt have sound. :duh:

Jesse Volanti

Sep 27, 2011
USA California
People can do what they want it is free "dome" of speech everone has there own stig so if you don't like it don't buy it. Look some people callit a dome or plastic or lens so what is the diffrence it is all the same thing. :weird: :compu-punch:

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
For the sake of this old curmudgeon's sanity, let's all promise not to call lightbar lenses domes any more. They are lenses, not domes. A dome is a hemispherical object and to the best of my limited knowledge, was never used on any lightbar. This is a pet peeve of mine and like fingernails on a blackboard.

John Dorgan

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
I know i have been guilty of this and i will be more careful. Just remember John, you had to explain the difference between a siren and a peanut whistle to me! I will do better!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
So Federal Signal is wrong when they call them domes? I'm looking at several of their parts lists and they call them domes. I understand where you are coming from on a geometric stance, but come on... I will always call them domes. Sorry.

fyr1075k

May 23, 2010
Hudson Valley New York
Sirenman said:
For the sake of this old curmudgeon's sanity, let's all promise not to call lightbar lenses domes any more. They are lenses, not domes. A dome is a hemispherical object and to the best of my limited knowledge, was never used on any lightbar. This is a pet peeve of mine and like fingernails on a blackboard.
John Dorgan
'

John,

I hope you don't mind, but I have to borrow your "Curmudgeon's Sanity" phrase. That is just too classic to pass up.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
A lens is a convex or concave disk. It is not cylindrical or rectangular in shape.

A far as light bars are concerned, I don't use the word 'domes'. I use the word 'covers'. If it's an Aerodynic light bar or any other light bar with segmented covers, I use the words 'modular inserts' and 'end caps'.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
covert

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.