So I found an Edge 9m.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Been a minute since I've posted here.

I found an Edge9m today at a rummage sale for 25 dollars, full cord and it's very new condition and has a arrowstick built in. The man didn't know if it will work, so I took a chance. I hooked it up and got nothing from it at all.

Has fat red and black wires for power and the control feature trigger wires. I simply put red on positive and black on negative and touched each trigger. Usually works on my other bars, but not here

Have not checked fuses, just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong from someone that knows Edge 9m. It's like my edge 9000 diagnostic bar that doesn't work either.

I don't have luck with edges I guess, but would like to get this one flashing, cause I want to say....it's in almost new condition and that big arrowstick is awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-22-19-05-50-573.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-22-19-05-50-573.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2023-07-22-19-06-07-874.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-22-19-06-07-874.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2023-07-22-19-07-09-748.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-22-19-07-09-748.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 17

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Great bar.
You’re on the right track with the wiring.
Here is the install manual for it (at least the bar wiring, and NOT the traffic advisor).
You should have 3 cables possibly. One with the large gauge red and black suppling the power distribution board. Another cable with the 12v positive trigger wires. And then possibly another cable to control the traffic advisor.
Supply the main power cables with 12v , and then supply the appropriate trigger wires with 12v.
If that dosent work you may have to open it up and trace out the control wires and make sure it wasn’t tampered with and rewired. You can check fuses while you’re in there.

Attachments

• Edge 9M 13657.pdf
    484.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Eric2.0

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
It has a three wire system, one is traffic advisory.

He did say it was pulled off a wrecked vehicle, so maybe something happened to it. The outside is flawless, hardly a scratch and the lenses are real clear. I'll have to go inside it, check fuses I guess, cause it does nothing at all.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-22-20-13-52-448.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-22-20-13-52-448.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 5

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I got it to do something. There is a silver wire with the positive red cable and when I wrapped it on the positive terminal with the red cable, the front take downs and corner strobes came on. Then it stopped after about a 5 minutes. I think it drained my battery. Weird tho. I thought the functions should come on when trigger wires are activated. Touching trigger wires does nothing, only the front take downs and corner strobes come on when the power cables are hooked up to battery.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
It has a three wire system, one is traffic advisory.

He did say it was pulled off a wrecked vehicle, so maybe something happened to it. The outside is flawless, hardly a scratch and the lenses are real clear. I'll have to go inside it, check fuses I guess, cause it does nothing at all.

So that grey cable is most likely the traffic advisor.

The small silver wire is the RF drain ground wire. Shouldn’t matter if that is hooked up or not typically.
If something happened when you hooked that up, then I bet there is a short in the power cable, or possibly on the distribution board. You could run some continuity tests on it when you open the bar up.
They are somewhat picky on operating voltage. Not sure on how you tested it, but it may have drained the battery below its operating voltage and then shut off.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I figured out the thin wires are the triggers and the grey wire harness must be the T/A. I have corner strobes, take downs and alleys, plus the T/A that I haven't got to work yet. I assume it needs its own power hooked up other than the fat red and black wires for the battery.

Here's a video of what I got to work so far

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Its setup like the one im building.

If you’re familiar with the liberty/freedom bar, the 2 wires that control the arrowstick function in those bars MAY do the arrowstick function in the 9M

Worth a shot :)

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Here is a pic of the harness ends. The grey one on the right is the arrowstick controller and last night I accidently discovered the thinner wires on the left are the function trigger wires. I thought the thicker wires were the main trigger wires.

It's confusing, not sure how the wires on the actual arrowstick harness function. The wire guide says the arrowstick function is on the thinner wire harness along with the strobe functions, T/As ect.

Perhaps I need an actual controller for the arrowstick to work. I have two different bars with arrowsticks, never got one of them to work, so...

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-23-13-07-21-805.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-23-13-07-21-805.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 3

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
@EHFD_Tower_751
The power distribution boards are different between the edge 9M and the liberty/freedom. The 9M board distributes power to the power supplies and has pins for each power supply (up to 3 power supplies) for strobe pattern change. The board then distributes power to (up to 2) separate flashers. Each flasher had pattern control capability for said flasher. The TD and Alley I believe are the only heads directly connected to the board. But it’s been a while and I may be wrong with that.

The traffic advisor is wired as a negative control set up. Meaning, all heads are connected to positive 12v with one wire. Then each heads negative side gets connected to their own wire which is brought out through the harness. So in theory, in your set up you are only using 7 wires. (1) 12v positive and (6) negative wires.
I would have to do some digging to find the pdf for Whelen traffic advisor wiring colors and head numbers.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
@Eric2.0
I was just able to watch and listen to your video.
9M was modular design. Easy to change, modify, upgrade and hence the reason for the lens sections and dividers that match up with the head space behind it. You could easily swap positions and types of heads and still have the correct lens spacing for each style of head. Whelen typically didn’t manufacture these bars with the black center section that you’re used to seeing.

So you have basically a 9M basic bar with halogen traffic advisor. The 4 front center lens sections are blank. If you open the bar up you will find 4 black blank snap in “covers”. They are standard 400 series head size. You could upgrade and put more halogen or led heads in there (if you have the flasher boards attached to the power distribution board) or add more 400 series strobes if you add another power supply.
The 2 black cables are for the power distribution board. Like I said above, runs your strobes and TD/alley and any flashing lights minus a traffic advisor. The grey cable is for your traffic advisor. Here is the typical Whelen traffic advisor wiring diagram. If the colors match up to this diagram I would apply 12v to the white wire and then, following the chart attached, connect the negative lead and check each head for the traffic advisor.

Attachments

• IMG_5263.jpeg
    IMG_5263.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 2

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
@Eric2.0
Grey cable is for your traffic advisor. Here is the typical Whelen traffic advisor wiring diagram. If the colors match up to this diagram I would apply 12v to the white wire and then, following the chart attached, connect the negative lead and check each head for the tra
I just hooked up the grey harness like you said and the T/A came to life. Yepp positive on the white wire and I wrapped all the other ones together and all the T/A came on when I touched them to negative. They only burn steady right now.

They are bright! Even from a distance they shine. Very bright in direct sun. Check them out.

P.S. there are indeed covers behind the front red lenses. I shined a light I to them and saw the covers, so, no fro. Inner flashers which kinda sucks.....I like a full bar, lol. I might add them later when I get more experience, for now I'll just enjoy the light like it is.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-23-14-20-41-458.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-23-14-20-41-458.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2023-07-23-14-21-10-197.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-23-14-21-10-197.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 9

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Excellent. You are going to need a traffic advisor controller to actually control them like you are used to seeing or wanting. But at least they all work! So that’s a start.
I also like a full bar. 9M being modular are easy to work on and parts can easily be found for fairly cheap if you want to add to it.

This is not a great photo but I will highlight a 9M flasher board. You are most likely going to need this if you are adding halogen or led 400 series flashers. It is highlighted in white.

Attachments

• IMG_3030_Original.jpeg
    IMG_3030_Original.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 6

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Excellent. You are going to need a traffic advisor controller to actually control them like you are used to seeing or wanting. But at least they all work! So that’s a start.
I also like a full bar. 9M being modular are easy to work on and parts can easily be found for fairly cheap if you want to add to it.

This is not a great photo but I will highlight a 9M flasher board. You are most likely going to need this if you are adding halogen or led 400 series flashers. It is highlighted in white.
Thanks for the picture.... For now I'll just leave it alone, but in search of what bar I want to put on my truck, this one looks great on top of my truck. Of course I'll change to all amber as I am not a responder. Disclaimer: I only put the red bar on my truck for a picture, it is now off the truck and with my other bars in a room. I do not play cop with a functional police bar, thanks, lol.

I do like how it looks on my truck and will probably upgrade to more flashers to the frontier and possibly omit the T/A and put brake and work lights to the back. The T/A is super Brite and how it functions, I'll probably get warned by a cop, even tho it's amber.

So here it is on top of my f150

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-22-20-25-39-880.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-22-20-25-39-880.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2023-07-22-20-46-16-794.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-22-20-46-16-794.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2023-07-22-20-27-03-164.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-22-20-27-03-164.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: firebuff17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.