Sound Off LED Hideaways

rsqemt911

Member
May 25, 2010
64
Naugatuck Ct
i just ordered a set from sirennet for my new truck so you'll at review from me hopefully soon. I recently totalled my trailblazer and it will be replaced with a explore sport trac on sat. i can do side by side comparisons with my vertex's. don't be haters, but they will be in green (Ct EMS).
 

John Hearne

Member
May 27, 2010
346
Pontotoc County, MS
I have a set in my Crown Vic and have a serious issue with them. I've got them on a separate switch because they are so bright. Whenever I'm working nights, they're turned off as soon as I come to a stop.
 

fireman616wfd

Member
May 24, 2010
2,126
Oxford, MS
John Hearne said:
I have a set in my Crown Vic and have a serious issue with them. I've got them on a separate switch because they are so bright. Whenever I'm working nights, they're turned off as soon as I come to a stop.

HAHA I LOVE IT!
 

cbpdogboy

Member
May 23, 2010
1,285
Detroit, MI
John Hearne said:
I have a set in my Crown Vic and have a serious issue with them. I've got them on a separate switch because they are so bright. Whenever I'm working nights, they're turned off as soon as I come to a stop.

Are you talking about the Undercovers or Universals?
 

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
7,333
NA
i got the wrong one shipped to me.. so I have one white and one blue in the universal model.


Once I get the correct ones, I will be doing a lengthy comparison between the following:


Code 3 Hide a Blast


Sound off Undercover


Sound off Universal


all in clear.


I had vertex, in clear, but from comparing them with what I currently have, they were the worst. :roll:


I also have axixtech TRI's but they are in red. i could compare them as well for shits and giggles..?


I will also be comparing the differences between the lens' on the universal model. Oh and side by side comparisons of each brand too...
 

TangoDown

Member
May 22, 2010
96
Montana
I'll be looking forward to that review. I am interested in replacing the strobe HAWs with LED HAWs on my next vehicle, for longevity, heat, and color purposes.


Let me know what you think!


TD
 

HPD84

Member
May 16, 2010
1,693
City of Houston,Texas
hmm,the rumor i heard was the Whelen Vertex(Clear/Solid) was brighter if not the same as the new Sound off HAW LEDs(Clear/Solid). I have'nt got any of the Sound off to compare them yet. :roll: Also the Split Sound off are better than Split Whelen Vertex :?:
 

nmemergency

Member
May 23, 2010
82
Northern Michigan
I have a set of split red/white Sound Off and split red/white Vertex's and the Sound Off's spread the light out much better. The Vertex's have 3 red on one side and 3 white on the other while Sound Off alternates each of the 6 LEDs to evenly disperse each color throughout the entire light head. I also like the different lense options.
 

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
3,580
.
Does anyone know if Axixtech will ever come out with a Chameleon TRI? Would be nice so as to not have to split the light's functionality...


If this is worthy of a new topic, either let me know and I can start one, or a mod please split this??
 

VolEms

Member
May 24, 2010
2,112
NY, USA
I need to buy for a costumer install 6 hide a way LEDs in Blue / White split. What should I get the Sound off or Vertex? I have seen a lot of vertex in solid never the split. The Sound off is $10 cheaper. I need the brighter one. Please reply elb members. Thank you
 

nmemergency

Member
May 23, 2010
82
Northern Michigan
VolEms said:
I need to buy for a costumer install 6 hide a way LEDs in Blue / White split. What should I get the Sound off or Vertex? I have seen a lot of vertex in solid never the split. The Sound off is $10 cheaper. I need the brighter one. Please reply elb members. Thank you
Sound Off
 

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
7,333
NA
VolEms said:
I need to buy for a costumer install 6 hide a way LEDs in Blue / White split. What should I get the Sound off or Vertex? I have seen a lot of vertex in solid never the split. The Sound off is $10 cheaper. I need the brighter one. Please reply elb members. Thank you


I have both, in clear. I sold the Vertex the second I compared them. I would recommend the Sound off ones- simply for the options with the reflector. It really does make a difference.


I also find the vertex are not that great, when at an angle. Gotta be pretty much bang on for the really bright light.
 

fireman616wfd

Member
May 24, 2010
2,126
Oxford, MS
VolEms said:
I need to buy for a costumer install 6 hide a way LEDs in Blue / White split. What should I get the Sound off or Vertex? I have seen a lot of vertex in solid never the split. The Sound off is $10 cheaper. I need the brighter one. Please reply elb members. Thank you

PM Sent to ya... :cool:
 

fireman616wfd

Member
May 24, 2010
2,126
Oxford, MS
unlisted said:
I have both, in clear. I sold the Vertex the second I compared them. I would recommend the Sound off ones- simply for the options with the reflector. It really does make a difference.


I also find the vertex are not that great, when at an angle. Gotta be pretty much bang on for the really bright light.

waiting on that video of yours you promised...
 

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
7,333
NA
fireman616wfd said:
waiting on that video of yours you promised...
And I am waiting on a fricking cameraman now! The dude I had lined up was for about a week ago, but I sadly had the wrong colors. I think I may get some filming done tomorrow.


And yes, I need a cameraman for what I am planning on doing.. Nothing like a good 1640 feet (500 meters) distance from the camera to compare lights. :twisted: And yes, I will be filming closer to the camera as well. ;)
 

fireman616wfd

Member
May 24, 2010
2,126
Oxford, MS
unlisted said:
And I am waiting on a fricking cameraman now! The dude I had lined up was for about a week ago, but I sadly had the wrong colors. I think I may get some filming done tomorrow.


And yes, I need a cameraman for what I am planning on doing.. Nothing like a good 1640 feet (500 meters) distance from the camera to compare lights. :twisted: And yes, I will be filming closer to the camera as well. ;)

haha going all out! im going to see if i cant get some of these put in VolEms' hands.. Think he would like these more than those vertex.
 

VolEms

Member
May 24, 2010
2,112
NY, USA
Thanks for the response. They are going into a 2005 Yukon XL into the reverse , parking and fog lights. I have the Whelen LAW's and Vertex in my car. I think I will give sound off a shot I just need to convince my costumer. Your vid looks really good . The vid on sirennet also looks very bright. 616wfd I sent you a pm and I hope to get them from you. Are they brighter then the Whelen LAW's?
 

fireman616wfd

Member
May 24, 2010
2,126
Oxford, MS
VolEms said:
Thanks for the response. They are going into a 2005 Yukon XL into the reverse , parking and fog lights. I have the Whelen LAW's and Vertex in my car. I think I will give sound off a shot I just need to convince my costumer. Your vid looks really good . The vid on sirennet also looks very bright. 616wfd I sent you a pm and I hope to get them from you. Are they brighter then the Whelen LAW's?

o UNLISTED................. answer the mans question! :D


yes they are better than the vertex
 

rsqemt911

Member
May 25, 2010
64
Naugatuck Ct
just got my green ones in yesterday and i have to say WOW!!


haven't had a chance to mount them and probably won't till next week. i bench tested them and played around a bit and i will never buy a vertex again.


mine are solid color but i set mine into split mode by accident and it took me a little bit to tell that the lights weren't firing all 6 at the same time. the placement of the LED's and the optics disperse light extremely well. the SOS patterns aren't exactly my favorite but they cover the bases and they appear to be much more versatile then whelen's in placement and . i plan on getting some split heads down the road and playing around with them a bit. thinking green/amber for my front marker lights set to have the green on 1 side and amber on the opposite flash at the same time. so each side will have 100% ontime with an alt. color scheme.


as soon as i have them all set up i will do a comparision of the vertex's with the SOS's. unfortunatly i don't have same colors to compare since i have amber, white, and red vertex's and green SOS's but you will ge tthe idea.


i think the SOS's are longer than the vertex's by a bit which will help with light dispersion as well. in my old trailblazer i had vertex's in my front marker lights that just did not catch the reflector enough to shine adaquate in my opinion. i switched them ou to clear strobe tubes and they were light night and day (no pun intended).


anyway, i've rambled enough. i will keep you all posted
 

fireman616wfd

Member
May 24, 2010
2,126
Oxford, MS
rsqemt911 said:
just got my green ones in yesterday and i have to say WOW!!

haven't had a chance to mount them and probably won't till next week. i bench tested them and played around a bit and i will never buy a vertex again.


mine are solid color but i set mine into split mode by accident and it took me a little bit to tell that the lights weren't firing all 6 at the same time. the placement of the LED's and the optics disperse light extremely well. the SOS patterns aren't exactly my favorite but they cover the bases and they appear to be much more versatile then whelen's in placement and . i plan on getting some split heads down the road and playing around with them a bit. thinking green/amber for my front marker lights set to have the green on 1 side and amber on the opposite flash at the same time. so each side will have 100% ontime with an alt. color scheme.


as soon as i have them all set up i will do a comparision of the vertex's with the SOS's. unfortunatly i don't have same colors to compare since i have amber, white, and red vertex's and green SOS's but you will ge tthe idea.


i think the SOS's are longer than the vertex's by a bit which will help with light dispersion as well. in my old trailblazer i had vertex's in my front marker lights that just did not catch the reflector enough to shine adaquate in my opinion. i switched them ou to clear strobe tubes and they were light night and day (no pun intended).


anyway, i've rambled enough. i will keep you all posted

good to hear such a positive review again!
 

GranPrix

Member
May 23, 2010
530
FL
Personally, I haven't seen a single LED HAW that can out perform a Strobe HAW, especially in direct sunlight. Also, I can't find any videos of the two compared side by side.
 

mcpd2025

Member
May 20, 2010
1,557
Maryland, USA
GranPrix, I have to tell you that the Whelen LAW's are pretty comparable. They are being issued in new 2010 cruisers in my department. I'll try to get a side by side comparision video of my strobes versus the LAW's when I go to work next. I wish that someone would make some video's that are worthwhile to show the different options. By worthwhile, I mean in a typical light housing, not at night, from at least 20 or 30 feet away, and next to a strobe in an identical housing.
 

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
7,333
NA
mcpd2025 said:
GranPrix, I have to tell you that the Whelen LAW's are pretty comparable. They are being issued in new 2010 cruisers in my department. I'll try to get a side by side comparision video of my strobes versus the LAW's when I go to work next. I wish that someone would make some video's that are worthwhile to show the different options. By worthwhile, I mean in a typical light housing, not at night, from at least 20 or 30 feet away, and next to a strobe in an identical housing.

Oh snap.. I just finished DAYTIME filming of all the LAW's I made a review of.. :shock:


In direct sunlight, filmed between the hours of 4:30pm-6pm today.


Distances of 80 feet, 40 feet, and 25 feet on a 45 degree angle. :cool: (sorry, I was not able to do the 500 foot distance, nor would there of been any point during daytime IMO)


Videos will be uploaded later this evening. Just finishing installing some lights in my car now. :geek:
 

fireman616wfd

Member
May 24, 2010
2,126
Oxford, MS
unlisted said:
Oh snap.. I just finished DAYTIME filming of all the LAW's I made a review of.. :shock:


In direct sunlight, filmed between the hours of 4:30pm-6pm today.


Distances of 80 feet, 40 feet, and 25 feet on a 45 degree angle. :cool: (sorry, I was not able to do the 500 foot distance, nor would there of been any point during daytime IMO)


Videos will be uploaded later this evening. Just finishing installing some lights in my car now. :geek:

yay unlisted! :lol: let me know when you get the video up
 

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
7,333
NA
fireman616wfd said:
yay unlisted! :lol: let me know when you get the video up
:evil: :evil: :x :x I cannot for the life of me get windows movie maker working at all.. WTF!?!!??


I've got a post in the "off topic" lounge.. if anyone can help, please reply there.
 

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
7,333
NA
Here is a teaser until I can get all the editing/combining done..


Passenger side is Blue, Drivers side is Clear. Mounted in the "standard" strobe location, both using the #3 lens (for side light output)


All lights on "slave mode" being controlled by a Sound Off Signal Flashback Taillight flasher. Model #ETFBØØ-P Sorry, the only flasher I had to use, since its hooked up to my taillights. I used the "deck lights" wire. Figured this way all the lights would flash at the exact same rate for comparison purposes. Any changes in the flash pattern is caused by the stupid camera and its POS recording.


Both videos filmed at ~ 40 feet.


ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_Video_th_9bb07727.jpg


ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_Video_th_695d9bd9.jpg


Also, sorry for the crappy quality, again, I am using a POS camera.
 

mcpd2025

Member
May 20, 2010
1,557
Maryland, USA
Any chance you could throw a hideaway strobe in one of the housings to give us something to complare to? Its hard to gauge how bright something is on a video, its easier to compare it to a known brightness.
 

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
7,333
NA
... Well, the "strobe" comparison would be flawed for a few reasons:


1. Different technology. I don't think it will run off my taillight flasher output (har har!)


2. Different Flash patterns


3. Not the same "on" time as the LED.


And the most important reason...


I don't even own a strobe HAW OR a strobe PS anymore.. :p :lol:


IF you want to send one over my way, sure :D


I can say from memory (since I used to have HAW's in the exact same place) these are pretty darn close! BUT, does not have that "pop" that strobes have. Light "brightness" is darn bright.
 

GranPrix

Member
May 23, 2010
530
FL
I'm sorry but after watching those videos and other videos on youtube LED HAWs are worthless IMO. The intensity and brightness don't come anywhere near close to strobes.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
54,242
Messages
450,860
Members
19,225
Latest member
Instinq

About Us

  • Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.