Sound Off LED Hideaways

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
GranPrix said:
I'm sorry but after watching those videos and other videos on youtube LED HAWs are worthless IMO. The intensity and brightness don't come anywhere near close to strobes.
Not trying to be a jerk but.. have you never had strobes "wash out" from direct sunlight before?

rsqemt911

May 25, 2010
Naugatuck Ct
they are different technology plain and simple. each has it's plus and minus. halogen flashers were always nice for attention getting over strobes particularly in daylight. main reason edge bars had a set of flashers in the back and we still use wig wags to this day. i agree strobes work better than most hideaways, but i think the SOS come the closest of all the ones out there as far as i have seen so far. they have a light spread as close to strobe hideaways as well as the different lenses allowing for a more customized installation.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
GranPrix said:
I'm sorry but after watching those videos and other videos on youtube LED HAWs are worthless IMO. The intensity and brightness don't come anywhere near close to strobes.

worthless.. no... But i know what you mean, strobes have more of that "pop" as someone said but put them in direct sunlight and back off 50 yards and tell me what you think. As resq said its just different technology. I work mostly nights and Sound Offs are awesome at night. The point of the led is as you back away say 50 to 100 or more yards you still see the light as you dont have that as well with a strobe. Plus I can save alternators and batteries with LED's :D

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I've added all the videos to the review threads I created. Just waiting for moderator approval.

:)

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
fireman616wfd said:
:twisted:
They all be up now. You can all LAUGH and CRY at my shitty camera. I swear, my BB Storm 2 takes better videos... I think.

What you can be happy with fireman616wfd is- I'm going to see the misses this week, and well, she has a HD camera, (I know its new, and expensive, its one of those "almost SLR" $500.00 point and shoots) and if its not raining, I'll get some more videos of the new Sound Off's- as they are mounted, and put on a "quad alt strobe" pattern.

I'm very happy with them, and the videos I took do not do it justice. I'll also get some "driving videos" :ugeek:

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
ibby said:
Is it the camera.... or is it the LIGHTS?

dun dun daaaaaa

haha its not the lights.. its the camera plus the way the sun is hitting that car on the driver side, if you were standing there in person you would beable to see them but with a camera its just a different look.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Better videos uploading to youtube right now.. :twisted:

Sadly, I am basically on a "rural satellite" internet connection at this location, so the 45 SECOND clip is estimating a whopping About 47 min. remaining...

Standby.. I think I will upload the other ones I just took when I get to a real internet connection.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I just got a pair of Blue/Amber Universal Undercover's. Too wiped out from work to do a test install. I will get some pics and/or videos up by this weekend.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
xfirefighter484x said:
I just got a pair of Blue/Amber Universal Undercover's. Too wiped out from work to do a test install. I will get some pics and/or videos up by this weekend.

Split colors, or one blue, one amber?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
xfirefighter484x said:
Here's a quick video with a white background, and a booklet to separate the lights for contrast purposes. The FPS couldn't even show the very fast flashes (video appears to just be a wig-wag for a couple seconds).

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_th_CIMG1051.jpg

wduda152

Jun 5, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Here's a question. What would be the best light for the reverse lights on a 2000 Impala?? I'm definately not getting rid of my strobes but want something more...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
wduda152 said:
Here's a question. What would be the best light for the reverse lights on a 2000 Impala?? I'm definately not getting rid of my strobes but want something more...
For reverse lights? I would hazard a guess of the SOS Universals with the # 3 lens... anything else would be too much of a intrusion/opaque footprint.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
unlisted said:
For reverse lights? I would hazard a guess of the SOS Universals with the # 3 lens... anything else would be too much of a intrusion/opaque footprint.
That is the intended area planned for these LAWs, the reverse light housing of my vehicle.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
The only concern with LAW's and 2000-2005 model impalas would be the very limited "space" for the stock light to "shine through" a LAW- you would need something very transparent and with limited "opaque" parts within the reflector housing. IMO, the SOS universal would fit the bill the best.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I forgot I still had some stock headlight housings from my Grand Am. Yes, I do realize these are indoors, and not in direct sunlight, I will get some more videos of that tomorrow.

Video #1 has one LAW in the Passenger side Low Beam housing (Left side looking AT the video) with the #3 lens on (I think), and the Driver's side has the #2 Lens on in the Marker Light housing:

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_th_CIMG1052.jpg

Video #2 both LAWs in the inside Marker Light housing, the Passenger side has the #3 Lens on, and the Driver's side (RIGHT side looking AT the video) has the #2 lens on:

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_th_CIMG1053.jpg

GranPrix

May 23, 2010
FL
I still think strobes are way brighter after watching those videos and comparing them to these:

When the camera does catch them you see them pop way brighter than any LED HAWs, but that's just me. ;)

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
dont agree. The washout of strobes during the day is terrible. If you put in the right Haw LED they are way brighter.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I feel that an effective warning system should incorporate a combination of strobes and LEDs. I do think there is a distinctive visible difference, and yes, I don't feel that LEDs have that "pop" that strobes have, but I do feel the true colors of LEDs vs. colored strobe tubes is a big plus.

Putting the right LAW in is a good start, but I think the placement is key. With these Soundoff LAWs, I hope to see a noticable difference in light output/"filling" the reflector using the appropriate lens with the LAW in a good place.

wduda152

Jun 5, 2010
Binghamton, NY
OK now next question: Where would the best placement be of those lights? I've never had the housings apart and haven't seen pictures of strobes mounted in them. What do you think? Also how much do these go for? I'd like to get a set but am torn on what colors to get, either solid blue, b/w or b/a ;)

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
wduda152 said:
OK now next question: Where would the best placement be of those lights? I've never had the housings apart and haven't seen pictures of strobes mounted in them. What do you think? Also how much do these go for? I'd like to get a set but am torn on what colors to get, either solid blue, b/w or b/a ;)

Personally, I'd recommend a solid color for daytime use.. I can see mine clear as day. (check the latest videos I uploaded in my review thread, in the review section of this website)

Regarding mounting- wherever you want- just make sure you use the correct lens for the mounting location. I mounted mine in the "standard HAW strobe" location, with the (iirc) #3 lens, and it works wonderfully. Even in daytime, police have assumed they were strobe HAW's- NOT LED's.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
unlisted said:
Personally, I'd recommend a solid color for daytime use.. I can see mine clear as day. (check the latest videos I uploaded in my review thread, in the review section of this website)

Regarding mounting- wherever you want- just make sure you use the correct lens for the mounting location. I mounted mine in the "standard HAW strobe" location, with the (iirc) #3 lens, and it works wonderfully. Even in daytime, police have assumed they were strobe HAW's- NOT LED's.
The split are pretty decent towards the dusk time, and not THAT bad in the daylight, but I can only imagine a solid color one would be sick.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I also took some additional pictures and videos outside in the daylight, I just have to upload them, and then I will post them...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
xfirefighter484x said:
I also took some additional pictures and videos outside in the daylight, I just have to upload them, and then I will post them...
about time someone else back me up.. ;)

Hopefully it was taken in direct sunlight.. ;)

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Here is a video shot from about 10 feet away, from inside, of the lights in a light housing, outside, in direct sunlight. Was too hot and muggy here that day, to stay outside for too long for me to set up for a long distance shot. This is the first of a couple videos, just wanted to get at least one up.

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_CIMG1067.jpg

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_CIMG1074.jpg

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_CIMG1071.jpg

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Here are some more videos. They are not in direct sunlight, but they are outside during the daytime. I kind of wish I had only had one light head in the headlight housing, but I mounted the 2 light heads in different styles. One was places in a factory hole (the inside marker light of the headlight housing), and the other (the low beam housing) had a hole drilled for mounting.

Here is a video comparing the split LAW to a solid Whelen Vertex (in the marker light of the Durango).

The ideal way to get dual colors (also IF you have the room in the housing), would be to get 2 solid color light heads. I just do not have the money at the moment to do so, but in the future, that might/HOPEFULLY will change and allow me to do that. For the time being, this is what I have to deal with.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to help however I can. If you have other ideas for me to test with these lights also, let me know, and I will see what I can do.

Thanks!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
xfirefighter484x said:
No one??? Bueller??

I think we both covered it overall.. ;)

The one thing I don't like about these- the stupid cruise mode- you gotta energize both the common "flash" wire and the cruise mode. Should only need to energize the cruise wire only... now I gotta figure out how to hook it up easily to my switchbox. :x

I also find the cruise mode is rather bright.. probably more like 90% power, not half power, or less.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
unlisted said:
I think we both covered it overall.. ;)

The one thing I don't like about these- the stupid cruise mode- you gotta energize both the common "flash" wire and the cruise mode. Should only need to energize the cruise wire only... now I gotta figure out how to hook it up easily to my switchbox. :x

I also find the cruise mode is rather bright.. probably more like 90% power, not half power, or less.
At least for my application, the split B/A, when both on at the same time, almost appears to be "white", or a very very light shade of blue/white. Cruise Mode wouldn't do me much good in that case, since I am not authorized to run that color, and it would be rear facing anyway...

Just found that interesting...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.