SP Mark VII Questions

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
I've finally summed up the time and courage to enter this board and pose you knowledgeable fellows a few questions in regards to my SP Mark VII siren. :D I've done a bit of reading up on the subject [a big thanks to the fellow who posted the old user manual] and have ascertained the function of specific wires on the wiring harness. With that said, I'm still somewhat puzzled about the items below. Thanks ahead of time for anyone that shares their expertise! ^_^

1) How could I go about powering this siren indoors with A/C power? I want to be able to test its functionality as I have been unable to do so. Is there any way of powering it indoors - maybe a cigarette lighter adapter soldered in and subsequently attached to a power inverter?

2) Is soldering the ideal way to connect the wires from the wiring harness to the speaker and other items? [With necessary extensions, of course]

3) According to the manual, there should be a small retaining screw at the back of the assembly. I am missing that screw; does anyone know what screw will fit there?

DSC_0837_zps484e2cf5.jpg

4) There appears to be something missing on the left side of the siren; does anyone know what the hole is for?

DSC_0846_zps38b50c89.jpg

5) Does anyone know of a specific mounting bracket that fits this siren?

6) Is there anything else a newbie should know? [Aside from the obligatory "Don't be an idiot" :p ]

----

Other potentially relevant photos;

DSC_0833_zpsd9e6bec4.jpg

DSC_0838_zps6a8a6f15.jpg

DSC_0835_zps463ea3c3.jpg

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Well, to answer a couple of questions. In order to power it up indoors, I would recomend an AC to DC converter. I would think 10 amps should be more than sufficient since chances are that once you fire it up inside, your ears will likely bleed after about 4 seconds or so. lol With regards to the harness, butt connectors or, if you are only going to hook it up for testing purposes, electrical tape will suffice. Not sure about the screw. If I remember correctly, that hole is an adjustment port for either PA or radio rebroadcast audio. As for the bracket, yes, they came with a bracket, but you can fabricate one out of some flat stock aluminum and paint it black to match the siren.

Now, with all of that out of the way, I call first dibs on it if you ever decide to sell it. You can either PM me here on the board or you can call me either on my cell at (845)699-9361 or at my shop at (347)PC-COMMS (722-6667) Thanks! :)

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
PC - I have a NOS non NYPD version. Do you happen to know what internal wires or jumpers have to be cut create the instant on/off yelp function of the siren button? It currently operates much like a Unitrol where the button provides about 4-6 seconds of yelp.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Just sell that bad boy to Chuck.............. He won't sleep tonight if he knows it's available :haha:

I'm the "fellow" who posted the manual. I agree with Chuck on the other stuff.

-Pete

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I'm tempted to swing by Queens tonight just so I can "help" you figure it out . . .

But really, good luck getting that thing up and running, they're getting rarer and rarer these days.

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
Thanks for the reply as well as answers for nearly all of my questions, PC; I appreciate it. :D

---

I assume I'll need to find a cigarette lighter plug similar to this one in order to use an AC/DC converter since I'm only working with the power and ground wires from the siren's wiring harness. Would that be a correct assumption? I'm sure finally hearing that classic sound will be worth the hearing-damage. :D

Thanks for the suggestions on connection; since I have been meaning to take up soldering I think I may go that route, though would butt-connections would simply require a bit of twisting the two together, some electrical tape, and crimping the connector?

The information on the hole is certainly interesting; I take it there wasn't some sort of plug to keep dirt/debris out?

And custom-built brackets are always cool to have I suppose! I may get on that once the siren itself is operational. If I ever do consider selling it, you'll be the first to know! :D

---

Thanks for the manual, Pete! I was relatively lazy at the time of the first post and didn't quite feel like checking who posted it. Of course, I regret that decision now; nice of you to stop by this thread.

---

I'll be placing lotsofbars around my windows if lotsofbars will be snooping about my borough! :hahano:

---

As an addendum, I may have a possible lead on more vintage NYPD equipment in the NYC area. I've been exchanging a few PMs back and forth with a guy on Youtube and he may potentially have some things. Here's a quote from our most recent conversation;

got about 50aerodynic lightbars many are original NYPD issued from the 80's& 90's even got some older ones as well as fireballs .i do got a few mark sirens but got to dig them out of my storage container .got a bunch of NYPD switchboxes that are marked "newyork city police dept "too .i am in the nyc area

I find this somewhat hard to believe, though I remain hopeful. I've asked for photos and prices, and have also recommended that he take some of his items to the elightbars for-sale section. Here's hoping this is the real deal, because that would be incredible!

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
Also, I am sorry for the seemingly numerous typos in my last post. I wrote half of it, left the house for awhile, and came back to finish it. Guess I should've proof-read it too.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
PM sent on additional NYPD equipment. :)

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
I'll update this thread on that vintage equipment once I have more information; I'm currently awaiting a reply from that Youtube user.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
FCV96 said:
As an addendum, I may have a possible lead on more vintage NYPD equipment in the NYC area. I've been exchanging a few PMs back and forth with a guy on Youtube and he may potentially have some things. Here's a quote from our most recent conversation;

I find this somewhat hard to believe, though I remain hopeful. I've asked for photos and prices, and have also recommended that he take some of his items to the elightbars for-sale section. Here's hoping this is the real deal, because that would be incredible!

If this is who I think it is, he lives on L.I. & he's got the stuff. He's a member here but keeps a very low profile, logs on occasionally, I'm not going to give him away. Nice guy though, I've been to his garage. :cool:

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
NPS Ranger said:
If this is who I think it is, he lives on L.I. & he's got the stuff. He's a member here but keeps a very low profile, logs on occasionally, I'm not going to give him away. Nice guy though, I've been to his garage. :cool:

Well this gives me an impractical amount of hope! Here's hoping I get a response soon then - I do hope I didn't press him on the recommendation to elightbars too much in that case, xD.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The brackets were notched to allow the siren housing bolts to slide in and down before securing it with a washer and acorn nut.

The instant yelp can only be accomplished by cutting a resistor, i can't remember how to identify it where on the board it's located.

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
A small update on that vintage NYPD equipment. I've continued correspondence with that YouTube user; he prefers local pickup much more but may consider selling some of the bars and other items on elightbars. He said he will be posting pictures/video in the near future of the items in question, and I am looking forward to that! I asked again for the prices and now I'll wait for another message.

In summary;

b41.png

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
Also, I do have a revision to a previous question.

In order to power the siren indoors, would it be possible to just attach the positive and negative-ground cables from the siren to a car battery charger's clips? [Of course, since the Mark VII consumes 12 amps at 13.6v I'd have to find a car battery charger that can support that requirement.] If so, can anyone recommend one that would be suitable?

If I were to go the DC to AC route, I'd need to get that fused DC plug replacement I posted previously, correct?

---

EDIT: I may've just answered my own question. It seems a Pyramid power supply will solve all of my troubles in regards to powering the siren. The Mark VII manual states that the Mark VII consumes 12amps at 13.6v. The Pyramid power supply can provide 12amps at 13.8v.

Amazon.com: Pyramid PS14KX 12 Amp Power Supply: Car Electronics

Last edited by a moderator:

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
I would STRONGLY recommend NOT using a battery charger. They are usually not regulated properly and can damage electronic equipment if they are being used as a power source. Use a battery by itself, if anything. Also, to use a speaker without blowing out your ear drums, pack the speaker bell with a towel. ;-)

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
PC Comms said:
I would STRONGLY recommend NOT using a battery charger. They are usually not regulated properly and can damage electronic equipment if they are being used as a power source. Use a battery by itself, if anything. Also, to use a speaker without blowing out your ear drums, pack the speaker bell with a towel. ;-)

Thanks again for all of your help; it does make sense that a battery charger would not be suitable when you put it like that. I'll most likely be going with that Pyramid Power Supply I posted above [where I'll wire the siren's ground and power directly to it]. Now all I have to do is select a speaker. Any opinions on this Galls one [that appears to be made by Federal Signal]?;

Galls 100W Speaker at Galls

It fulfills the 100w requirement, though the Mark VII calls for at least 8ohms. Is that standard?

Are there any other recommended options that may turn out cheaper?; I have no qualms with purchasing from the For Sale section on this site. I'll be sure to keep that towel trick in mind!

Ghost1141

Apr 14, 2016
Kentucky
I've finally summed up the time and courage to enter this board and pose you knowledgeable fellows a few questions in regards to my SP Mark VII siren. :D I've done a bit of reading up on the subject [a big thanks to the fellow who posted the old user manual] and have ascertained the function of specific wires on the wiring harness. With that said, I'm still somewhat puzzled about the items below. Thanks ahead of time for anyone that shares their expertise! ^_^

1) How could I go about powering this siren indoors with A/C power? I want to be able to test its functionality as I have been unable to do so. Is there any way of powering it indoors - maybe a cigarette lighter adapter soldered in and subsequently attached to a power inverter?

2) Is soldering the ideal way to connect the wires from the wiring harness to the speaker and other items? [With necessary extensions, of course]

3) According to the manual, there should be a small retaining screw at the back of the assembly. I am missing that screw; does anyone know what screw will fit there?

View attachment 102166

4) There appears to be something missing on the left side of the siren; does anyone know what the hole is for?

View attachment 102167

5) Does anyone know of a specific mounting bracket that fits this siren?

6) Is there anything else a newbie should know? [Aside from the obligatory "Don't be an idiot" :p ]

----

Other potentially relevant photos;

View attachment 102168

View attachment 102169

View attachment 102170
Hey could you email me pictures of the inside of your sp? I have one as you know that needs to be reiwred. I need to see where im soldering the wire for the knob, yelp, and horn/ yelp switched back to the board. Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.