Squad 51 Twin Sonic

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Tristar said:
OK, I know this is even more off topic than the radio call sign discussions, but I've always been curious about something: Why (on Emergency) do the deputies wear motorcycle helmets when driving a patrol car?

IIRC early in the series's production some type of dispute occurred between Jack Webb/Mark Vll and LASO that failed to resolve so they modified the depiction of their primary LE agency.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
chief1565 said:
Here's an interesting tidbit I've noticed while watching the show.
In the early epsoides when they get called out you see the little light on top the bar when they are in the bay when they head out of the station it's not there....but when they arrive on seen guess what it's baaaack.

Stock footage of the Squad leaving the station shot early in production before the light was mounted used throughout the run of the series. The production was a little sloppy when it came to continuity.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
mjberryjr said:
Here is a question. Does anybody know what the thing that is mounted in the middle of the Twin Sonic the top of Squad 51 from Emergency! is? Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. Also does anybody have a close up picture of a similar bar? Thanks!

HI K B !! Welcome!

:hail:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I decided to put these here instead of in the Adam-12 tidbit thread.

for purpose of the fire truck. Van Nuys airport fire truck MACK episode date 2/28/70

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Jun 4, 2012
New England
Tristar said:
OK, I know this is even more off topic than the radio call sign discussions, but I've always been curious about something: Why (on Emergency) do the deputies wear motorcycle helmets when driving a patrol car?

It wasn't just in Emergency, either. In Diamonds Are Forever, a number of officers can be seen wearing helmets during the Las Vegas police chase.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Tristar said:
Wow...what were they afraid of? Were they driving NASCAR or patrolling the streets and highways of their area?

I'm not sure if the helmet requirement was just for LA County or if it was a state-wide requirement. But remember, that is California, and stranger laws have been enacted.....not to mention enforced.

Makes me wonder....if they wore helmets in the patrol cars, did they have roll bars, too? :undecided:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
chief1565 said:
I decided to put these here instead of in the Adam-12 tidbit thread.
for purpose of the fire truck. Van Nuys airport fire truck MACK episode date 2/28/70

I remember seeing that old Mack from time to time when they had airport emergencies on the show. Now look closely.....you don't see a visible siren; but you darn sure hear one when they're running down the runway!

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Skip Goulet said:
I remember seeing that old Mack from time to time when they had airport emergencies on the show. Now look closely.....you don't see a visible siren; but you darn sure hear one when they're running down the runway!

Yeah I was trying to figuire where it was during that myself.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Skip Goulet said:
Well, it's like everything else they did on Emergency!, Adam-12 and Dragnet! All the siren sounds were dubbed in. This firetruck, too!

That part i know,what i was trying to figuire is where it was supposed to have been placed.

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
lol a lot of this stuff (other than the light) was explained in Adam-12 within the first two seasons:haha:

I recently got Netflix, and every day I watch 2-6 episodes of Adam-12, and just started Emergency!. I'm almost done with season 3 of Adam-12; I know I'll be sad when I finish the 7th season, never as neat watching them all over again.

I just wish Netflix had CHiPs... :mad:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I think the use of helmets by uniformed patrol officers became a popular thing in many urban areas in the late 1960's through the mid-1970's. There were numerous race riots from 1964 to 1971 and helmets provided officers with far more protection than a uniform cap.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
I agree, stansdds.

I think it was an LASD dept policy, not a law, and it was more for deputy protection outside the car, rather than in it. As you mentioned, it was during a time following social unrest. It seems some Arizona agencies adopted that policy for a while during that same period, too, if TV shows and movies are to be believed.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Well I finally saw an episode that showed the radio and siren.

here's the pics.

Wish I could get better pics but when you pause something on TV it looks good until you take a pic of it.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
chief1565 said:
That part i know,what i was trying to figuire is where it was supposed to have been placed.

Well, come to think of it, there were a few....but very few....firetrucks that had sirens underhood. This may well have been one of them. I happened to spot an old firetruck from Slaton, TX sitting at a dealership in Lubbock one day when I was up there. I knew the old truck. During the time after I had left Lubbock, Slaton had added a lightbar and electronic siren to that truck. It already had a nice 77GB doubletone siren under the hood. Never could understand why a nice chrome siren went there, but it did! So I asked the dealer what he wanted for the 77GB. He was astounded. He never knew the siren was there. So I got a good deal on it.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Reno911 said:
lol a lot of this stuff (other than the light) was explained in Adam-12 within the first two seasons:haha:

I recently got Netflix, and every day I watch 2-6 episodes of Adam-12, and just started Emergency!. I'm almost done with season 3 of Adam-12; I know I'll be sad when I finish the 7th season, never as neat watching them all over again.

Careful, Sam, if you do that too much you're gonna start talking in 10-codes, 10-4? :yes:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Reno911 said:

Do you have cable out your way?

I watch my reruns MeTV.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
chief1565 said:
Do you have cable out your way?
I watch my reruns MeTV.

Yeah....MeTV has some good shows, except some of the best are late at night when I doing zzzzzzs! Emergency! come on at 4:00 in the afternoon our time, but I'm usually here at the library on the computer at that time...like right now! Seems like Adam-12 and Dragnet keep bouncing back and forth between MeTV and Antenna-TV. I'd like to see one or the other bring back CHiPs.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I wonder if any of these are out there floating around?

Biophone

Biophone 3502.jpg

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
chief1565 said:
Well I finally saw an episode that showed the radio and siren.
here's the pics.

Wish I could get better pics but when you pause something on TV it looks good until you take a pic of it.
I

You did mean the radio and the siren/light control right?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Well, I got to watch Emergency! for the first time in many months yesterday, and something I saw really threw me for a loop!

I've always thought that there were only twoEngine 51s on the show: the original Crown pumper that had the 17 beacon over the windshield and the siren speaker mounted in the nose of the truck; and of course, the Ward-LaFrance that followed. But on yesterday's show I saw another Crown running as Engine 51. This one had a Mars FL8 light over the windshield, and a B&M siren behind the screen in the nose of the truck. The producers used a lot of the old Crowns during the production of the show, but I've just never caught this one until now.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
I wonder if maybe the Crown with the Mars light was an actual reserve engine. Since the Crown Engine 51 was an in-service LA County engine (actually two- Engine 60 and Engine 127 were both used depending on where the shoot was happening) it stands to reason that it would have to go to the shops for maintenance periodically. Can't stop filming the show just because the star engine is being repaired- so keep filming using the reserve that was there to replace it.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
chief1565 said:
I wonder if any of these are out there floating around?
Biophone

As someone who had to lug one of these damn things around on every call - good riddance! In our area they almost never actually made contact with the hospital when not hooked into the roof antenna on the ambulance, so you ended up having to stretch wires halfway across the house to get the acoustic coupler from the EKG to the handset of a landline phone. Most cardiac calls looked like you had a pile of spaghetti on the patient by the time you were ready to transport.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
delcofirecop said:
super rare and very expensive i am lucky enough to own one and have been offered a pretty penny for mine lol.

Ok make with the pics.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Crownfire said:
I wonder if maybe the Crown with the Mars light was an actual reserve engine. Since the Crown Engine 51 was an in-service LA County engine (actually two- Engine 60 and Engine 127 were both used depending on where the shoot was happening) it stands to reason that it would have to go to the shops for maintenance periodically. Can't stop filming the show just because the star engine is being repaired- so keep filming using the reserve that was there to replace it.

That makes sense. In that same episode, however, the "real" Engine 51 showed back up close to the end. So I would think you're right on the mark. For the first part of the taping the original truck was out for service, only to return later.

I would've loved to have watched some of the actual production back then.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Anybody besides me notice in both Adam-12 and Emergency 51 the large amount of Mustangs either driven or parked?

Must have been a ploy from Ford to sell them.

I thought the vehicles used were mostly Dodges.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
In many of those cases it was the same 67 or 68 gold Mustang. In one episode (maybe more) Pete Malloy drove that gold Mustang.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Since we're on the subject of Emergency and Adam-12, I have another question. I was watching an episode of Adam-12 last night that I had recorded, and I saw something I've never seen before - either on TV or in 23 years of volunteer & paid EMS work. Malloy and Reed were on the scene of a working fire, and an LA City ambulance - very old box style (Type I) was loaded with their patient, and just before closing the back doors of the ambulance, the driver secured a net of sorts (similar to what some people use in place of the tailgate of a pickup truck), and then closed the doors. Has anyone ever seen this type of device used? What's its purpose? Were they concerned that the rear doors would fly open while enroute to the hospital?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
chief1565 said:
Anybody besides me notice in both Adam-12 and Emergency 51 the large amount of Mustangs either driven or parked?
Must have been a ploy from Ford to sell them.

I thought the vehicles used were mostly Dodges.

A lot of those cars on both shows were studio "plants". You can see the same cars on the side of the road in both of them. One I used to see a lot on Emergency! was a green '67 or '68 Chevy wagon. I always noticed it because we ran a '67 BelAir wagon ambulance back in the '70s. I also to see a white Corvair parked on the side of the road in some of those episodes. Also, if you watch close enough when either the Squad or Station 51 are running to a scene, at certain intersections you see the same cars over and over again in different episodes.....or is that just coincidence?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Skip Goulet said:
A lot of those cars on both shows were studio "plants". You can see the same cars on the side of the road in both of them. One I used to see a lot on Emergency! was a green '67 or '68 Chevy wagon. I always noticed it because we ran a '67 BelAir wagon ambulance back in the '70s. I also to see a white Corvair parked on the side of the road in some of those episodes. Also, if you watch close enough when either the Squad or Station 51 are running to a scene, at certain intersections you see the same cars over and over again in different episodes.....or is that just coincidence?

Yeah I see it to you ever notice in 51 they use the same footage of them backing in the station and the same blue p/u goes by after they clear the street?

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Skip Goulet said:

Everybody always talks about how Jack Webb made sure all his scenes were realistic. If that's so, why is it that Adam-12 or the squad and engine in Emergency never hit heavy traffic, and when there are cars around, they all pull over to the side and stop? Does that really happen anywhere other than Hollywood?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Tristar said:
Since we're on the subject of Emergency and Adam-12, I have another question. I was watching an episode of Adam-12 last night that I had recorded, and I saw something I've never seen before - either on TV or in 23 years of volunteer & paid EMS work. Malloy and Reed were on the scene of a working fire, and an LA City ambulance - very old box style (Type I) was loaded with their patient, and just before closing the back doors of the ambulance, the driver secured a net of sorts (similar to what some people use in place of the tailgate of a pickup truck), and then closed the doors. Has anyone ever seen this type of device used? What's its purpose? Were they concerned that the rear doors would fly open while enroute to the hospital?

Those nets were a safety precaution in case the cot came loose from the cot holders. I know they were present on the original box type ambulances but have never seen them on any of the private ambulances I've seen.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Tristar said:
Everybody always talks about how Jack Webb made sure all his scenes were realistic. If that's so, why is it that Adam-12 or the squad and engine in Emergency never hit heavy traffic, and when there are cars around, they all pull over to the side and stop? Does that really happen anywhere other than Hollywood?

You're right about "nowhere but Hollywood". In order to gain the realism that he sought, Webb had to have the scenes in either show carefully "choreographed" to make sure that they went just the right way. That's why you saw the same cars over and over again at particular intersections, with those cars pulling over as the emergency vehicles approached. They were filmed that way so that a "stray" coming close to the intersection couldn't interfere with the taping/filming of that episode; and eventually some of those intersection shots became "stock footage".

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Good show, but definitely some cheesy productions. I am watching an episode right now where the guys leave the station in broad sunny daylight, and when they arrive on their call, it is pitch dark night. Also, the "old Dodge/new Dodge footage during responses is comical. Definitely an entertaining show, but you can't take it too seriously.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.