Squad 51 Twin Sonic

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
Getting back to the light bar, I think the Twin Sonic on the Squad had just one speaker, although the bar has enough room for two TS24 or TS100 speakers. The speaker was connected to a PA20A siren, but I'm not sure if the PA20A was a series 2D or 2E. The 2D was still available in the very early 1970s. I'm also not sure if the restored Squad has the original light bar and siren.

Actually, at least on one of the Squads used during the years that show was taped, there was no speaker at all inside the TwinSonic! You could see that on a couple of the close-up shots. Since they used a number of trucks over the years, some of them may well have had speakers.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
RyanZ71 said:
Bob Fuller is still around and going at 80 years old. So is Michael Norell, aka Captain Hank Stanley and Ron Pinkard aka Doctor Mike Morton.

Here is Bob

Now that's really something. I haven't seen him on anything in many years. Glad to see he's still around!

Skip Goulet said:
I intended to look up KMA367 but forgot. Next on my list!

KMA367 has been 'the' LAPD FCC callsign since public safety radio began in So Cal. The license is still active, with 1 VHF Low Band frequency, and several VHF High Band frequencies assigned to it.

A little history/trivia, for those who are not familiar with California cop culture:

It used to be pretty common on the law-enforcement side to have license plate rings on your POV with your agencies FCC callsign on it to identify yourself as an 'off-duty'. In fact, most agencies had them made, and either issued or made them available to officers and their immediate family. This was because back in the day, up to even the 90's in some places, agency dispatch centers identified themselves by FCC callsign, so the callsigns were pretty well-known among local lawmen, but not the general public (until Adam-12). LAPD, for example, used "KMA367" from their dispatch center, because way, way back when they were on low-band, that was the license for their low-band dispatch frequencies. By tradition, that FCC is the one that was recognized as LAPD. LASD and many LA Basin agencies also had KMA numbers, but I don't remember what they were. San Bernardino SO (my old agency) was KMA-795. CHP's is probably most recognized. KA4993 is the statewide license for their (recently replaced) VHF extender channel. The last time I was at the CHP academy in 2000-2001, they still offered the license plate rings for sale at the Academy store.

While not nearly as popular now as it used to be (since the pukes figured out what it meant), the practice is still out there. To this day, you will see KA4993 rolling down the highway on the back of personal vehicles. Very rarely, you will still see a KMA license plate ring in some flavor, and most often it seems to be on the back of a VERY retired officer's car, and he has kept it on there because back when he retired, it was still common practice, or just for nostalgia. Nowadays, very few of these agencies still have the original KMA licenses due to upgrades in radio systems, and there is almost no one working the street who will still recognize the agencies by the callsigns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
KMA-367 is the FCC licensed identifier for the dispatch frequency the entity uses. In the 60's and 70's, LAPD's broadcasts were licensed under KMA-367. Now that they are on 800 frequencies the licensed broadcast number has changed, but I believe they retain a couple of the old VHF frequencies for car to car and simplex use still licensed under KMA-367. It is not a fire station, police precinct, or unit identifier. The FCC requires the radio transmitter identification to be broadcast on the hour, and every 15 minutes. Where I worked, our frequencies were licensed under KOA-801, and that number is broadcast periodically by the dispatchers.

Some fire and police departments have automated the process, and a synthesized voice comes on at designated intervals to broadcast the identifier.

At LAPD, it is customary as established radio procedure (at least used to be) to say "KMA" at the end of a lengthy broadcast, or at the end of a transmission on a TAC channel. In the old days, before in-car computers, you would have to request a clear frequency to run names for wants/warrants license info. Sometimes multiple names. Saying KMA at the end of the transmission let the dispatcher know the transmission was over and the frequency could be cleared for routine traffic.

I still have some old LAPD recordings of dispatch that I made when I was a kid. Someday I will transfer to disc. More info than u probably wanted to know.....

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Duster said:
KMA367 has been 'the' LAPD FCC callsign since public safety radio began in So Cal. The license is still active, with 1 VHF Low Band frequency, and several VHF High Band frequencies assigned to it.

A little history/trivia, for those who are not familiar with California cop culture:

It used to be pretty common on the law-enforcement side to have license plate rings on your POV with your agencies FCC callsign on it to identify yourself as an 'off-duty'. In fact, most agencies had them made, and either issued or made them available to officers and their immediate family. This was because back in the day, up to even the 90's in some places, agency dispatch centers identified themselves by FCC callsign, so the callsigns were pretty well-known among local lawmen, but not the general public (until Adam-12). LAPD, for example, used "KMA367" from their dispatch center, because way, way back when they were on low-band, that was the license for their low-band dispatch frequencies. By tradition, that FCC is the one that was recognized as LAPD. LASD and many LA Basin agencies also had KMA numbers, but I don't remember what they were. San Bernardino SO (my old agency) was KMA-795. CHP's is probably most recognized. KA4993 is the statewide license for their (recently replaced) VHF extender channel. The last time I was at the CHP academy in 2000-2001, they still offered the license plate rings for sale at the Academy store.

While not nearly as popular now as it used to be (since the pukes figured out what it meant), the practice is still out there. To this day, you will see KA4993 rolling down the highway on the back of personal vehicles. Very rarely, you will still see a KMA license plate ring in some flavor, and most often it seems to be on the back of a VERY retired officer's car, and he has kept it on there because back when he retired, it was still common practice, or just for nostalgia. Nowadays, very few of these agencies still have the original KMA licenses due to upgrades in radio systems, and there is almost no one working the street who will still recognize the agencies by the callsigns.

Do you have any pix of what those license plate rings look like?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Scoot163 said:
KMA-367 is the FCC licensed identifier for the dispatch frequency the entity uses. In the 60's and 70's, LAPD's broadcasts were licensed under KMA-367. Now that they are on 800 frequencies the licensed broadcast number has changed, but I believe they retain a couple of the old VHF frequencies for car to car and simplex use still licensed under KMA-367. It is not a fire station, police precinct, or unit identifier. The FCC requires the radio transmitter identification to be broadcast on the hour, and every 15 minutes. Where I worked, our frequencies were licensed under KOA-801, and that number is broadcast periodically by the dispatchers.

Some fire and police departments have automated the process, and a synthesized voice comes on at designated intervals to broadcast the identifier.

At LAPD, it is customary as established radio procedure (at least used to be) to say "KMA" at the end of a lengthy broadcast, or at the end of a transmission on a TAC channel. In the old days, before in-car computers, you would have to request a clear frequency to run names for wants/warrants license info. Sometimes multiple names. Saying KMA at the end of the transmission let the dispatcher know the transmission was over and the frequency could be cleared for routine traffic.

I still have some old LAPD recordings of dispatch that I made when I was a kid. Someday I will transfer to disc. More info than u probably wanted to know.....

Texas DPS still uses their i.d. after all transmissions. Midland DPS is KKS896. But most of what I hear nowadays on other L.E. and public safety channels is a coded identifier that is only periodically used. About the only time you hear them use the call sign is at the end of a lengthy broadcast, such as notification of a red or amber alert or info about someone who is wanted or a stolen car, etc.

Skip Goulet said:
Do you have any pix of what those license plate rings look like?

Ask and you shall receive! LOL

I have also seen CHP versions with the Assigned Office on the top plate (Los Angeles, Redding, HQ, etc). I don't know if those were department sanctioned, or custom made by the owners, but they aren't often seen. I wish I had one of the SBSD ones, just for nostalgia's sake.

1. CHP New style

2. CHP Old Style

3. LAPD Old Style

4. LAPD New Style

5. LASO

6. SBSD (San Bernardino)

7. Long Beach PD

8. LA City Fire

KA4993 old.jpg

KA4993 new.jpg

KMA367 old.jpg

KMA367 new.jpg

KMA628 LASO.jpg

KMA795 old.jpg

KMA651 Long Bch.jpg

KDG872 LA City FD.jpg

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
RyanZ71 said:

A photo of the early Squad 51 radio and siren shows a Federal PA20 (with the alert tone). This is the same siren that is installed in the first Engine 51 (the 1965 Crown Firecoach).

If the first Squad 51 had a PA20, then the siren sound that was dubbed in for it is correct. The sound is a PA20 running in manual wail mode.

The siren sound that was dubbed in for the first Engine 51 was a B&M mechanical siren wail, which was incorrect for that truck.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Duster said:
Ask and you shall receive! LOL

I have also seen CHP versions with the Assigned Office on the top plate (Los Angeles, Redding, HQ, etc). I don't know if those were department sanctioned, or custom made by the owners, but they aren't often seen. I wish I had one of the SBSD ones, just for nostalgia's sake.

1. CHP New style

2. CHP Old Style

3. LAPD Old Style

4. LAPD New Style

5. LASO

6. SBSD (San Bernardino)

7. Long Beach PD

8. LA City Fire

Thanks for those, Duster. They're very nice. I couldn't invision what a license plate ring was. Now I know!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
A photo of the early Squad 51 radio and siren shows a Federal PA20 (with the alert tone). This is the same siren that is installed in the first Engine 51 (the 1965 Crown Firecoach).

If the first Squad 51 had a PA20, then the siren sound that was dubbed in for it is correct. The sound is a PA20 running in manual wail mode.

The siren sound that was dubbed in for the first Engine 51 was a B&M mechanical siren wail, which was incorrect for that truck.

You are right on both counts. Kevin O'Connell who owns B&M has mentioned this on other threads on this board as well as on the PCS website. A couple of weeks ago I stayed home due to the bad weather and the library being closed, so I got to watch Emergency! for the first time in quite some time. Wouldn't you know it, that episode showed the original Engine 51 Crown running with the B&M siren sound. One of the few times you get to hear a real siren on the show was on the episode where Johnny and Roy respond on a cardiac case at a golf course. Snyder's old Cadillac ambulance which sometimes showed the "Mayfair" signs responded on this call; and as they were leaving with their "patient" the driver let loose on the Super Chief! Nice, nice, nice!

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
Captain4164 said:
? KMG-365 is Station 51, you say its KMA-367.. not tryin to be a dick, just wondering if Im missing something here

KMG-365 was and still is registered to LA County Fire. LACo. Fire has several repeaters some located at stations ect. Don't know if this was a repeater call or a actual station call sign. I love the show but I aint gonna loose sleep over a call sign.

As for the light they were shop made. I don't think they were used a lot, they were supposed to make it easy for helo's to spot a paramedic rig...Whatever.

Just a FYI to any EMERGENCY! fans who have not made the pilgrimage to Station 127 (aka 51) the niche were the radio was located now sports a coke machine.

MARSMAN AKA: N7FWD.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
CHIEFOPS said:
IIRC early in the series's production some type of dispute occurred between Jack Webb/Mark Vll and LASO that failed to resolve so they modified the depiction of their primary LE agency.

Not exactly.

"Dragnet" and "Adam-12" were dramatizations of actual events, and got heavy LAPD support (including real badges). Sheriff Pitchess was unwilling to provide the same level of support to a show which was fiction.

Webb didn't push the issue at all -- it was floated and just kind of went away -- because LACFD serves (or at least they did) a number of municipalities that have their own cops. Webb felt that, since the story was about the FD and hospital, there would be more flexibility with a "generic" LE presence. It also eliminated the costs involved with maintaining equipment and uniform accuracy for the LEOs. They spent about twice as much on "Adam-12" equipment as they would have if it had been a made-up PD.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
Duster said:
KMA367 has been 'the' LAPD FCC callsign since public safety radio began in So Cal.

Actually, LAPD radio use (1927 or so) predates the FCC (1934), much less the call sign!

KMA367 was issued based on location (K for west of the Mississippi), licensee (Municipality), issuance series (all of the original XXAs were existing users), and the 68th license issued in the series (000 - 299 were reserved at the time).

The use of verbal callsign died off after the digital modes arrived. Digital radios identify with each transmission.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
SoloRTP said:
Actually, LAPD radio use (1927 or so) predates the FCC (1934), much less the call sign!

KMA367 was issued based on location (K for west of the Mississippi), licensee (Municipality), issuance series (all of the original XXAs were existing users), and the 68th license issued in the series (000 - 299 were reserved at the time).

The use of verbal callsign died off after the digital modes arrived. Digital radios identify with each transmission.

I believe all public safety agencies (in the US) have callsigns that start with K, regardless of location.

Tristar said:
I believe all public safety agencies (in the US) have callsigns that start with K, regardless of location.

Not necessarily. I'm looking at my radio console right now, and have 4 frequencies there with an FCC starting with 'W'. But I do think you're on the right track...many (maybe even most) agencies started with 'K' numbers. Of course, I've only ever lived or worked west of the Big Muddy, so I wouldn't have any idea what numbers were given east of there.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Duster said:
Not necessarily. I'm looking at my radio console right now, and have 4 frequencies there with an FCC starting with 'W'. But I do think you're on the right track...many (maybe even most) agencies started with 'K' numbers. Of course, I've only ever lived or worked west of the Big Muddy, so I wouldn't have any idea what numbers were given east of there.

In my county in PA (Lehigh County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference), it's about 50/50 between K and W. No rhyme or reason that I can see at a quick glance.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
SoloRTP said:
Not exactly.

"Dragnet" and "Adam-12" were dramatizations of actual events, and got heavy LAPD support (including real badges). Sheriff Pitchess was unwilling to provide the same level of support to a show which was fiction.

Webb didn't push the issue at all -- it was floated and just kind of went away -- because LACFD serves (or at least they did) a number of municipalities that have their own cops. Webb felt that, since the story was about the FD and hospital, there would be more flexibility with a "generic" LE presence. It also eliminated the costs involved with maintaining equipment and uniform accuracy for the LEOs. They spent about twice as much on "Adam-12" equipment as they would have if it had been a made-up PD.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Duster said:

You're right. One of Midland P.D.'s call signs starts with a W. For many years, you could tell where a broadcast radio or TV was by the use of a "K" or "W" in the call sign. Except for some very early stations, everything west of the Mississippi has a K and east has the W. But there are exceptions like WFAA and WBAP in Dallas/Ft. Worth or WOAI in San Antonio. Or one with three, rather than four, letters, like KOA, Denver.

fltmedic469

May 22, 2015
Georgia
Siren control box.jpg

Hey guys I am doing some digging actually starting a squad 51 build. got a truck working on the cab electronics. Got the PA20A, lightbar, Looking For the GE MASTR PRO mobile radio but the one thing that is killing me with no info is the left lightbar control box besides the radio and pa it has a gooseneck map light attached to the top corner of it.I ait has a couple of switches on it one for the map light and looks like one for the lightbar but i cannot find any info on the manufacturer or any frontal up clost photos of it onlt a few side shots that dont show it very well.  Anyone know much about it or where i could find one? So far they are nonexistent. Someone gave me the attached shot which is very good but still looking for info on it.

Thanks for any help!

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I believe the LA County Fire Museum has the original Squad 51 on display.  If all else fails, I'm sure someone there could help you find what you need. Can you post the picture you have here?  Maybe we can figure it out.

Reactions: fltmedic469

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Got the PA20A
If you're not fussy about the sound, any version of the PA20A will do. 

The siren sound that was dubbed in for the TV show was a recording of a PA20, which is a much older siren with completely different circuitry and siren tones.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.