Starting a Conversion for a NYPD Aerodynic - NEW VIDEO !!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I am going to convert my Aerotwin 24 MX to a NYPD Aerodynic. Just not impressed with those X mirrors.. Although I struggle with the MX being a rare bar.....

Anyway, I have the Par holders thanks to another ELB member (Thanks !).. But I do not have the V mirrors yet.. Looking.. (hint hint). I found a post on ELB where SaschaUE did a conversion and has good pics of the insides. I am curious about the Par flasher. Do I need a specific one? and what holds it in place behind the V mirror. Can't see that in the pics.

Any advice, directions and opinions are welcome.

Reactions: FCV96
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Your best bet is what was already said locate some V mirrors from a 22I.
The flasher is a 537 can flasher..

All the holes should already be there so no drilling should be needed. I converted an MX bar to an RMC bar.. with not much difficulty.. I ended up using a V mirror in place of the correct mirror on the bar due to difficulty locating one.

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
aero parts.jpg The flasher is held down with a standard "spring style" flasher holder. I have the flasher and flasher holder and 1 V mirror available for sale.

Last edited:

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I have the flasher and flasher holder and 1 V mirror available for sale.

Cool.. I'm waiting to hear back form someone who has two mirrors, if that doesn't work out I will definitely consider yours. One is better than none.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
OK.. I have my parts and I have started the conversion. I have the right side of the bar mostly done, except for the rear flasher. After I get it all set up I will break it down, clean it up and run the wires under the panels. But.. This is a great way to show how much better the NY style setup is over the standard 24MX that I have now.

I also have a video to show the difference. It is not the best quality video because of the light (and I forgot to move the chair) but I will do a better one in the light tomorrow. It shows a half NY and a half 24MX.

DSC_0816 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0817 (Medium).JPG

Jun 18, 2013
PA
/\ /\ right there.. the older Aerodynic/Twinsonic Tube feet.
The current feet you are using are correct as well... just a newer style..

Either way I can't say I'd care really so long as it has feet if I wanted them.

Reactions: Skulldigger

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
OK.. working on the bar this morning.. About ready to order my bulbs. I have 2 4416's and 2- 4416R in the rotators. I remember seeing on here somewhere that the 4 center bulbs are specific as well. Can't re-find the post. What is the number for the 4 bulbs? Seems they are flood instead of spot. I have one 4411 that looks correct to the pictures.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
OK.. I have all of the parts and I have put it together. Just did a quick video to show it off. It still needs to be taken down and cleaned up and a few tweaks. I also plan to change the tag soon. But I do have the correct feet, bulbs, mirrors ans such. I'm trying to figure out why my flasher is uneven, but everything else works great.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I'd guess the flasher is uneven because it looks like you're using a jumpbox for power. If you hooked it up to your truck battery with your truck running, I don't think it would be an issue. Looks like a great bar you have created!

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
I'd guess the flasher is uneven because it looks like you're using a jumpbox for power. If you hooked it up to your truck battery with your truck running, I don't think it would be an issue. Looks like a great bar you have created!

Agreed! I just PM'd him the exact same thing before I read this..

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Great job! And, I agree it's much better than the x mirrors as far as effectiveness. It already looks super, but it'll be like NOS when you finish your last little tweaks. :)

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Ev

You'll never have an even flash rate using a 537 flasher, even at high idle. Substitute a Tridon flasher.

Reactions: firebuff17
Ev

You'll never have an even flash rate using a 537 flasher, even at high idle. Substitute a Tridon flasher.

What he said...537s are notorious for uneven flash rates especially with sealed beams...they are thermal actuated and the higher the amp draw, the worse it can get. Also, they are not exactly precisely engineered or fabricated. Regardless, very nice bar!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeaustin924

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.