Starting over. 2009 Explorer

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
A couple of weeks ago I got a new truck. (wasn't planning on it) It is a 2009 Explorer. I haven't been rushing the install.

Front:

So far I have white Cannons in the fog lights. I put my Power Arcs into the grille. They are partially blocked, but still pretty effective. I have the Pegasus in the windshield for now. If I keep the Pegasus I am going to change the flashing takedowns to steady burn red. I also been thinking about a Pinnacle? If I do go with Pinnacle, should it be all red, or two flashing takedowns? I just wasn't sure if that would be two much white with the Cannons? Opinions?

Sides:

So far it is just Cobra 400's in the side windows running off a ULF44. Been debating an ION or two on the running boards (synced with the 400's) But if I add a brush guard I would put something on the side of it and sync it as well. Still not sure what look I am going for yet.

Rear:

Cobra in the upper rear window. Running off a ULF44. I am going to put Cannons in the tails. Either just red in the reverse, or amber in reverse and red in the brake. Opinions?

Everything will run off a Whelen HHS2000. Not to sure if I will like the HHS2000 yet. I have one video so far. But more to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: octoberguy77

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I had the Pinnacle in my '08 Explorer with flashing TDs. It was very effective especially in day time hours. I don't think it would be too much white having that and the Cannons since you have them high and then low. You could always do a white cut out switch if you think it is too blinding at night.

I would have kept the Pinnacle had I not switched vehicles and gone down from FT hours to casual when I started the new job. It was hands down the best interior warning bar I have used.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
I have the pinnacle in my personal vehicle in all red w/ white takedowns. The takedowns make a MASSIVE difference. I would highly suggest the lightbar as it is the best interior lightbar I have ever had (It's also the only ILB i've ever had, but its awesome lol)

I'm actually about to start a new thread for my vehicle as well so be on the look out for it!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Eric1249 said:
A couple of weeks ago I got a new truck. (wasn't planning on it) It is a 2009 Explorer. I haven't been rushing the install.

Front:

So far I have white Cannons in the fog lights. I put my Power Arcs into the grille. They are partially blocked, but still pretty effective. I have the Pegasus in the windshield for now. If I keep the Pegasus I am going to change the flashing takedowns to steady burn red. I also been thinking about a Pinnacle? If I do go with Pinnacle, should it be all red, or two flashing takedowns? I just wasn't sure if that would be two much white with the Cannons? Opinions?

Sides:

So far it is just Cobra 400's in the side windows running off a ULF44. Been debating an ION or two on the running boards (synced with the 400's) But if I add a brush guard I would put something on the side of it and sync it as well. Still not sure what look I am going for yet.

Rear:

Cobra in the upper rear window. Running off a ULF44. I am going to put Cannons in the tails. Either just red in the reverse, or amber in reverse and red in the brake. Opinions?

Everything will run off a Whelen HHS2000. Not to sure if I will like the HHS2000 yet. I have one video so far. But more to come.

FRONT

I don't think it's too much white if you have all red ILB & grill lights with clear fogs & TDs. I even think a HLF would be fine too as long as the ILB is flashing in big red blocks (ie entire driver side alternating with entire passenger side)

SIDES

I'd go with the nForce (over ions) on the side of the PB. As much as I like running board lights, I think they shouldn't be added until front intersection (side of PB) & rear side (rear window or rear fender) has been already covered. Also the linear optics make it better for this use

REAR

I would go have both amber flashing in the reverse lights --> alternating with both red in the brake lights...I think this will be more effective than an X-pattern

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
pdk9 said:
FRONT
I don't think it's too much white if you have all red ILB & grill lights with clear fogs & TDs. I even think a HLF would be fine too as long as the ILB is flashing in big red blocks (ie entire driver side alternating with entire passenger side)

I been hearing/reading that HLF in this generation Explorer is not a good idea.

SIDES

I'd go with the nForce (over ions) on the side of the PB. As much as I like running board lights, I think they shouldn't be added until front intersection (side of PB) & rear side (rear window or rear fender) has been already covered. Also the linear optics make it better for this use

I haven't decided if I am going to put a brush guard on this truck or not? If I do, it will be awhile. I am also looking at different running boards so light on the RB will be awhile until I decide which ones to get. I think an ION will fit better then a nForce and they are more lower profile.

REAR

I would go have both amber flashing in the reverse lights --> alternating with both red in the brake lights...I think this will be more effective than an X-pattern

I like the idea of both red then both amber. I could do that in red/white as well. Like a tail light flasher. I am leading towards IONs on the rear plate.

The Pegasus is wire to a plug until I decide between the Pegasus and a Pinnacle

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

OutofCantrol

Jan 1, 2011
Some where CT
Slow it down a bit!

-Fogs: slow them to a slooow almost wig-wag pattern

-Grill lights: get rid of the split and go somewhere around 75fpm. You can't tell the split even from this video's short distance!

Or x pattern your grille and fogs at the 75fpm.

-inner light bar: again slow it down to around 75fpm.

Remember the goal is to be seen and established as a emergency vehicle. Think about what gets your attention the most as a far distance. Currently even in the day light it's just a blur of light now think of how bad it'll be at night. There will be no definition to the size of your vehicle.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
firemedic119 said:
Slow it down a bit!
-Fogs: slow them to a slooow almost wig-wag pattern

-Grill lights: get rid of the split and go somewhere around 75fpm. You can't tell the split even from this video's short distance!

Or x pattern your grille and fogs at the 75fpm.

-inner light bar: again slow it down to around 75fpm.

Remember the goal is to be seen and established as a emergency vehicle. Think about what gets your attention the most as a far distance. Currently even in the day light it's just a blur of light now think of how bad it'll be at night. There will be no definition to the size of your vehicle.

The interior bar is connected to a flasher that I had laying around. If I keep this bar it would be hooked up to a ULF44. The grill lights are Power Arcs. So they are not split.

I'mabeast

Apr 5, 2011
Massillon, Ohio
Front: I would put 2 PowerArc's up on the roof rack bar that goes across and nothing interior. Leave the grill area alone or put two feniex T6's in the grill. Back: what ever light you want going across upper rear window with 2 T6's surface mounts by license plate and that's it, but that's me. Otherwise I like your setup. :thumbsup:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i think the powerArcs in the grill are a no go. Have you thought about mounting them in the rear window?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Storm4200 said:
i think the powerArcs in the grill are a no go. Have you thought about mounting them in the rear window?

The Power Arcs look better in person. My videos suck. I have the Cobra 600 in the back now. It is nice and thin. I might be too anal but I like my rear and side lights to match.

Should I put two steady burn red in the middle of the bar?

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
Have you given any thought to a brush guard? It would give you a place to mount the Power Arcs without impacting the light output (ie: behind the grill) and would allow the full visual impact of the lights. Plus it would add a higher level of protection to the front of your vehicle.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
Eric1249 said:
The Power Arcs look better in person. My videos suck. I have the Cobra 600 in the back now. It is nice and thin. I might be too anal but I like my rear and side lights to match.

Should I put two steady burn red in the middle of the bar?

Yes. Steady burn is awesome.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Camerin said:
Have you given any thought to a brush guard? It would give you a place to mount the Power Arcs without impacting the light output (ie: behind the grill) and would allow the full visual impact of the lights. Plus it would add a higher level of protection to the front of your vehicle.

I thought about a brush guard. I am not sure if I would want a black or stainless one. Stainless is about $800. But I want to get new wheels first. I think an old man had this truck and he liked curbs. lol. I had the Power Arcs on a brush guard on my old truck. You really can't tell in the video but my friends are surprised at how effective the Power Arcs are behind the grille.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA

I am not a fan of night videos. But it does show that the Power Arcs show up pretty well behind the grill.

Still not sure what else I will be doing yet. Just the 400 in the side widows doesn't cut it.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
The lights in the grill look like they are wiggling lol

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
They look so small on my phone I didn't think they were power arcs.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I'm not sure I like the PowerArcs behind the grill. You lose all the off axis effectiveness; I think a conventional lighthead would work better behind the grill.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
acala91 said:
I'm not sure I like the PowerArcs behind the grill. You lose all the off axis effectiveness; I think a conventional lighthead would work better behind the grill.

I figured I had them, so I would use them. They actually look better in person.

I would like to get some SOS Intersectors for under the mirrors but I have puddle lights under the mirrors.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
So while looking at it on the computer they look bigger. I'm assuming the grill just doesnt make them look like power arcs. I agree... if that is what you have.. use them. But... if you can get something else there you might be better off. I'm still looking forward to seeing what ya do

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
FEVER said:
So while looking at it on the computer they look bigger. I'm assuming the grill just doesnt make them look like power arcs. I agree... if that is what you have.. use them. But... if you can get something else there you might be better off. I'm still looking forward to seeing what ya do

I been debating a brush guard or a different grille. I added red Cannons to the reverse lights.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Eric1249 said:
I been debating a brush guard or a different grille. I added red Cannons to the reverse lights.

I loved your brush guard on your other truck.

Reactions: Storm4200
Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
Eric1249 said:
Stainless brush guard is $800. GF wants me to get black wheels etc. But new rims are next. The ones on here are beat.

I personally would go with the brush guard first. I love the look of brush guards- and I never really was into rims on a car. I never really notice if people have different rims on cars unless someone points it out to me.

Just my opinion- but i'd go with the brush guard.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
proudfirefighter said:
I personally would go with the brush guard first. I love the look of brush guards- and I never really was into rims on a car. I never really notice if people have different rims on cars unless someone points it out to me.
Just my opinion- but i'd go with the brush guard.

These rims are beat. Drives me nuts lol. And keeps GF happy. Made a big difference on my old truck.

Explorer3.PNG

Reactions: silverunicorn

nblaser

Nov 22, 2011
Colorado
Eric1249 said:

I probably sound like a broken record, but I think you need to re-evaluate the power arcs... maybe fender mount them? haha what happened to all the Whelen stuff you had?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
nblaser said:
I probably sound like a broken record, but I think you need to re-evaluate the power arcs... maybe fender mount them? haha what happened to all the Whelen stuff you had?

There really is no way to mount the Power Arcs without getting a brush guard. And that isn't going to happen anytime soon. As I pulled into the station last night (dusk) you could still see the Power Arcs bouncing off the walls. Even being behind the grill they are still effective. Videos typically don't do leds justice.

Mr911

Jun 2, 2010
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Nice to see you playing with your new ride! I did love the old one though...after looking at your videos and looking at your new truck I have a few things to suggest:

1) Keep the power arcs...there's nothing like them!

2) I like the idea of intersectors but, if you still have the TIR 6's from the mirrors, I'd add them...

3) what about 2 red LAW's in the corner marker lamps?

just throwing some thoughts out there to ya...

Be safe Brother...

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Keep the power arcs! Just mount them out side the grill, or cut the grill and flush mount them. Yeah, flush mount! DO IT NOW! :yes:

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
HILO said:
Keep the power arcs! Just mount them out side the grill, or cut the grill and flush mount them. Yeah, flush mount! DO IT NOW! :yes:

YES!!! Flush-Mount them!!! BJ and I did that to his Oscilasers in his old Silverado...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_BJs_20Truck_FrontLow.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_BJs_20Truck_LFCornerHigh.jpg

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I picked up an Intersector, I am not sure I like how it looks on there. I asked the gf if she would model it for me lol. I think maybe down the road I might get a brush guard? That makes adding lights easier. Then I wouldn't need the Intersectors.

I got a call the other day and I had to go down one of our busier roads. and people were moving pretty good. I do need more side lighting.

Last week I got new rims, and next week now tires, then Rancho Quick lifts. Brush guard will be after that if I go that route. I also and getting different running boards, then I might add a light on there.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Intersectors look good. Why can't you just add a Setina push bumper or something similar instead of spending $800 on a brushguard?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
acala91 said:
Intersectors look good. Why can't you just add a Setina push bumper or something similar instead of spending $800 on a brushguard?

The last truck the extra were black. This one I want to keep everything chrome this time. But it did cross my mind lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.