Strobehawk -as bad as its reputation??

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Hello guys!

I bought yesterday a Strobehawk lightbar and when I search for some info on a this model of lightbar I seem to find that a lot of people seems to not like them at all...

I don´t have this bar at home yet but the seller said that it has worked fine for them (But on the other side it was mounted on a fireengine that was not in use so often).

What I have understood is that the bad thing here seems to be the J60 powersupply...many have had problems when it went bad all the time.

So, if that´s the only problem then why don´t you just change the J60 ps for example into a Whelen powersupply ?? If my J60 would go bad in the future I could try this...

I think that the Strobehawk is a cool looking lightbar and if you get tired of the strobes you can quite easily strip off the strobe stuff and put some rotators instead into the bar...and thus you have got a Streethawk! =)

But the way, anyone got a wiring diagram for the Strobehawk bar?

Greetings

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Strobes have never been one of Federal Signal's strong areas, and the Strobehawk is a perfect example of that. The power supply is unreliable, has a sub-par flash pattern, and is known to die more often than other supplies. Sure, one could install Whelen strobes and/or Whelen power supplies, but that takes away from the uniqueness (and awfulness) of the Strobehawk. They're a nice collector's piece and that's about it.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
My department had strobehawk lightbars for 4 years and they are the worst light bar we ever had.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Has anybody ever put a Whelen strobe power supply in a StrobeHawk? Maybe that'll make the lightbar last longer.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
cromwell said:
I wonder if Federal Signals Jetstrobe model was known to be a little better lightbar or what?

Jetstrobes were pretty popular and I thought their horizontal and vertical fresnel lenses on the strobes made them very effective.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Jetstrobes are pretty good, one of Federal's best strobe-related products. They've been used for numerous applications around my city and they've all been nice and effective.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
I like the strobehawks with two inner rotators, pretty cool light show! I always thought Federal Signal should have put the rotators as outer and strobes inner, I will probably end up doing this myself once I get a strobehawk.

Please post some pics of yours, maybe a video too once you get it! :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
25CK117

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.