Strobehawk UPDATED 09-10

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
I ran across a strobehawk the other day, never seen one before. I was wondering what their value or rarity might be before I try to get it?

Thanks

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I couldn't tell how much but a few time on the older forum did Strobehawks showed up for sale. They didn't take long to go. :)

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Not too common, A collectible, especially since the hawk line up is discontinued. its a keeper!

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Cool, i actually found it in an old shed at the local junkyard this weekend while we were doing extrication class. It has blue lenses and is covered in about 6 inches of grime, but looked to be in decent shape over all. I have an old junk amber code 3 bar I am going to see if they will just do a trade on. If I can finagle it I will get pictures on here.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
They are hard to find; grab it if possible.

I sold mine mostly restored w/like new upper domes, new lower lenses, like new speaker cover & a NOS front lower strobe kit for $300.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Well I finally got the owner of the tow company where I originally found this Strobehawk to let go of it. In fact he gave it to me for free :D

He told me it came off of an old Brentwood Police car, and that it has been sitting in his shed for at least 10 years (as can be seen in the pics). I will hopefully have some time to get started on cleaning it up in the next few weeks. It appears to be in decent shape, not bid dings or scratches that I have found yet.

[Broken External Image]:http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/wcrs2346/DSCN0326.jpg

ai247.photobucket.com_albums_gg129_wcrs2346_DSCN0327.jpg

FGS

May 21, 2010
United States, Maryland
Hello

Awesome that a strobehawk got saved instead of scrapped! Do it have alley lights? What are the colors of the flasher lenses in the back? Do it have just the strobe lights or there are other lights in the top part of the bar? Speaker still in it?

Sorry for so many questions. I don't see many hawks around here much so I am always curious about them. Only hawk I ever seen up close was the amber 4 rotator and 52" speaker model. (No alley, take downs, flashers, and no speaker. Only 4 rotators and the flat mirrors.) The ones I saw were scrapped for a mini bar. Asked about them and got nowhere.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
FGS said:
Hello

Awesome that a strobehawk got saved instead of scrapped! Do it have alley lights? What are the colors of the flasher lenses in the back? Do it have just the strobe lights or there are other lights in the top part of the bar? Speaker still in it?

Sorry for so many questions. I don't see many hawks around here much so I am always curious about them. Only hawk I ever seen up close was the amber 4 rotator and 52" speaker model. (No alley, take downs, flashers, and no speaker. Only 4 rotators and the flat mirrors.) The ones I saw were scrapped for a mini bar. Asked about them and got nowhere.

I fully intend to answer your questions, just give me a few days. With it being the weekend of the 4th they always put us on 12 hour shifts at work.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Well I finally got the inside and outside cleaned up and put back together. I have been pretty sick the past week which means I have been sitting around the house bored out of my mind. Today I finally got up the energy to finish it up. I have brackets to mount it on the wall in my garage with the rest of my collection, but that is going to have to wait for another day, I think I overdid it today, now I am retiring back to the couch.

The inside halogen lights flash along with the rear lower deck lights. The side and front lower deck lights function as normal alley and takedowns. I ordered new lens covers for the takedowns and rear flashers.

This bar was originally a City of Brentwood Police Department bar. I even found a City of Brentwood property sticker on the siren grille cover when I was cleaning off the years of mud and muck on it.

For your viewing pleasure ( I forgot to take pictures of the inside cleaned up, I blame it on being half delirious)

ai247.photobucket.com_albums_gg129_wcrs2346_DSCN0511.jpg

ai247.photobucket.com_albums_gg129_wcrs2346_DSCN0508.jpg

ai247.photobucket.com_albums_gg129_wcrs2346_DSCN0510.jpg

ai247.photobucket.com_albums_gg129_wcrs2346_DSCN0509.jpg

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/wcrs2346/?action=view&current=DSCN0507.mp4

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
MPD 818 said:
Well I finally got the inside and outside cleaned up and put back together. I have been pretty sick the past week which means I have been sitting around the house bored out of my mind. Today I finally got up the energy to finish it up. I have brackets to mount it on the wall in my garage with the rest of my collection, but that is going to have to wait for another day, I think I overdid it today, now I am retiring back to the couch.

The inside halogen lights flash along with the rear lower deck lights. The side and front lower deck lights function as normal alley and takedowns. I ordered new lens covers for the takedowns and rear flashers.

This bar was originally a City of Brentwood Police Department bar. I even found a City of Brentwood property sticker on the siren grille cover when I was cleaning off the years of mud and muck on it.

Great job!

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
kitn1mcc said:
what was the reason for the halogen flasher
The "Hawk" series light bar has always had the option for the lower level lights to flash. As for the halogen lights in the strobe housing I do not know. If I had to guess it may have had something to do with the fact that just the strobes up there left a little to be desired as far as warning power goes.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
MPD 818 said:
The "Hawk" series light bar has always had the option for the lower level lights to flash. As for the halogen lights in the strobe housing I do not know. If I had to guess it may have had something to do with the fact that just the strobes up there left a little to be desired as far as warning power goes.
Could they have been meant to be cruise lights, that someone hooked up to a flasher? I don't remember flashing halogens as an option in the strobe heads.

Dan

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I'm pretty sure that they are cuise lights... My friend (triton911bj) has a strobehawk and it has cruise lights in the strobes...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Yeah, those are cruise lights, supposed to steady burn.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Well live and learn. All the other Strobehawks I have seen on you tube have those hooked up to flash. I personaly like them flashing myself.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
MPD 818 said:
Well live and learn. All the other Strobehawks I have seen on you tube have those hooked up to flash. I personaly like them flashing myself.
I kinda like the flashing option too... I would like to see a dual filiment bulb wired so the dim part is a cruise light and the bright part flashes. That would be cool. Either way lots of places hooked the cruise lights up to the flasher on these and other bars with 360 degree end strobes.. it seems to be a common mod..

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I also believe that the cruise light bulbs are not original. Normally theh have a low candlepower (appx. 6 cp) to provide a recognition glow or tracking between strobe flashes. They weren't meant to have enough power to provide warning.

Dan

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
dmathieu said:
I also believe that the cruise light bulbs are not original. Normally theh have a low candlepower (appx. 6 cp) to provide a recognition glow or tracking between strobe flashes. They weren't meant to have enough power to provide warning.
Dan
All strobe hawks came with crusie lights from the factory.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
ERIC6913 said:
not that often actually, but keep an eye out this weekend for my strobehawk post. i think you guys might like what i did. :cool:
So does that mean my 15 minutes in the spot light are almost over? ;)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.