Strobesnmore HAW Led's

Falcon9

May 23, 2010
Manila,Australia
These look good. When funds come in I will probably get a set of reds and clears for the tail lights.

Interested in seeing patterns and if I can sync two of them to get an x fire pattern

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Falcon9 said:
Interested in seeing patterns and if I can sync two of them to get an x fire pattern

You can.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Strobesnmore said:
Boy that was fast as we just did Toms car today. I would have preferred to put the leds in the rear of his light assembly which I think would have doubled the output but we would have had to severly cut into the double wall more than we both would have liked so we settled on them coming up from the bottom of the assembly.

Which brings me to a good point. Almost all of the hide a way lights no matter the brand are greatly affected by how they are mounted. On Toms car the Vertex look much brighter (he already had a set and we mounted them in the rear of the car) because they were mounted in the rear of the reflector. When you look at the light from almost any angle you see all the leds. On the front lights as I stated above the lights come up from the bottom so you only see about half the LEDs thus relying entirely on the reflector to do the work of the other LEDs. Many double walled headlight assemblies you have to weight output over damage to the housing. As I tell everyone I can mount a light anywhere but when you have water and moisture issues is it really worth it?

I'm pretty happy with the install, and even though they had to be installed facing up, they are still incredibly bright!

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
With the other lights out there you need to drill almost a one inch hole for just the flasher to pass or cut the flasher off and splice the wires back together.

That's one of the things I HATE about the vertex lights... HAAAAATTTTE.

I guess I got lucky not having to do this, although I know what they mean using one side or the other for all the wires. I have 4 vertexes in the back of a Grand Cherokee, I have the flashers and extra wire rolled up behind the plastic in the cargo area. The fronts are rolled up and tucked away under the hood.

I guess it can be a real pain if you surface mount them.

needforspeed

May 23, 2010
Massachusetts
I am wondering if these can be set to steady burn and run off of a ulf-44.

I would think that both lights would flash together if run like that.

I was thinking about adding two sets to my car and intergrating them into my flasher so that everything is sync'd

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, just don't use the supplied flasher... The heads themselves dont have the patterns, they are jsut a steady on light head.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
TritonBoulder47 said:
I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, just don't use the supplied flasher... The heads themselves dont have the patterns, they are jsut a steady on light head.

Be careful, might want to check with Strobes-N-More. The current limiting for the LED's may be in the flasher and not the light head. The head itself may not like raw 12 volts.

Louis or Pimp, any data on peak amp draw? Just curious how hard they are driving the Rebels to calculate lumen output.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Henry455 said:
Be careful, might want to check with Strobes-N-More. The current limiting for the LED's may be in the flasher and not the light head. The head itself may not like raw 12 volts.

This is true... I never thought of that...

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
Yea I would not apply 12 volts directly to the bulbs. If you look at the pictures provided by pimp, the two wires from the flasher run right to the center of the Rebel's board, and you can see that each + & - for each rebel is connected directly to the wire, instead of running through resistors or in parallel. So each rebel is getting the voltage directly from the wire.

Most of the rebels I have seen on the lumileds website will only take up to 3 volts each.

So all this to say...... DON'T HOOK THE HEADS DIRECTLY TO 12V or you will void the warranty.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
WireKing said:
Yea I would not apply 12 volts directly to the bulbs. If you look at the pictures provided by pimp, the two wires from the flasher run right to the center of the Rebel's board, and you can see that each + & - for each rebel is connected directly to the wire, instead of running through resistors or in parallel. So each rebel is getting the voltage directly from the wire.

Most of the rebels I have seen on the lumileds website will only take up to 3 volts each.

So all this to say...... DON'T HOOK THE HEADS DIRECTLY TO 12V or you will void the warranty.

Well that answers that... Thanks King!!!

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
I have demo'd all four colors now and am very satisfied with them. I am somewhat disappointed that the colors limit your setups but, you can still please the majority of the customers. They will do steady burn and I would assume you could hook them into a flasher... ONLY first going through the supplied flasher, thus they would flash together. To get alternating flash you would need two sets. Again, that's if using an external flasher. In theory, you could flash one set of two against another set of two.

I have made a short video, which includes a flash pattern demo. I will sell these in my product line on my website and plan on stocking some of each color.

Video link:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Pimp said:
I have demo'd all four colors now and am very satisfied with them. I am somewhat disappointed that the colors limit your setups but, you can still please the majority of the customers. They will do steady burn and I would assume you could hook them into a flasher... ONLY first going through the supplied flasher, thus they would flash together. To get alternating flash you would need two sets. Again, that's if using an external flasher. In theory, you could flash one set of two against another set of two.

I have made a short video, which includes a flash pattern demo. I will sell these in my product line on my website and plan on stocking some of each color.

Video link:

Interesting. What about pricing?

EDIT: Nevermind, the site says $119.99.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
DaveCN5 said:
Burt,
Any chance of you throwing a set in the back of your truck and doing a comparison against the Vertex in your tail lights?

Agreed :D :yes:

SireLite

May 21, 2010
Merseyland, England, GB
Burt or Louis Is there any chance you could set the flasher to steady burn and see how many volts come off each output using a test meter. I think that would clear up the question whether the lightheads could be ran off another flasher instead of people assuming they would not work.

southernbnb

Feb 1, 2011
nc usa
these lights look sweet! i will be ordering a couple sets soon!! just gotta get off probie status so i can run lights on my truck!

lednut

May 21, 2010
Middletown, CT
I just installed 2 sets of these in my buddies 2006 Dodge Durango. We put a pair of Red's in the taillights and a pair of whites in the backup lights. The light heads themselves are really nice. I have to admit, being a die hard Whelen guy, they are not bad at all.

However, here is where we have found a problem. As I previously mentioned, we have two sets in the rear. These 2 sets are sync'd to each other so that we can achieve an "X" flash pattern in the rear. Initially, the lights appeared to be flashing properly; sync'd to each other and so forth. By the way, the rear lights are controlled independently from the front lights via two separate toggle switches. Anyways, intermittently, when the rear lights are activated and flashing normally, and we activate the front lights, the driver side HAW's decide that they want to change flash patterns on their own. The passenger side HAW's stay on the pattern we originally set them to. We have tried everything. We can't duplicate it when we want. It kinds happens on its own. I'm wondering if we have an issue with the individual flasher that control's those 2 HAW's, cause as I stated, the passenger side doesn't do this.

Other than that, these are not bad lights at all. I mentioned it before, I am a die hard Whelen guy and my Expedition is all Whelen. If your on a budget, these are really nice, as long as we can figure out this issue we are having now.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know, cause this is driving me nuts! If anyone has read the instructions for the installation of these lights, to change the flash patterns, you need to apply the blue or yellow wire (I can't remember) to ground vs. Whelen you need to apply their wire to 12 volts via momentary action in order to change the patterns. The wires on the SNM HAW's not only are cut away so they can not come in contact with ground, they are taped with electrical taped.

So, I'm lost as to why this is happening. Any suggestions, I'm all ears!!!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
lednut said:
Initially, the lights appeared to be flashing properly; sync'd to each other and so forth. By the way, the rear lights are controlled independently from the front lights via two separate toggle switches. Anyways, intermittently, when the rear lights are activated and flashing normally, and we activate the front lights, the driver side HAW's decide that they want to change flash patterns on their own. The passenger side HAW's stay on the pattern we originally set them to. We have tried everything. We can't duplicate it when we want.

So, I'm lost as to why this is happening. Any suggestions, I'm all ears!!!
Any chance of attempting to gt a video of this happening? I know you said you cannot seem to reproduce it when you want to, but any chance of trying for a video? As far as I can tell, you are the first person to have installed 2 pairs, and, even if not, the first one where they are all within an easily viewable area all together.

I want to do something similar, and questions had been asked about syncing multiple sets, but, as of yet, no one had posted about actually doing it, and since no one had posted of such, nothing of any 'errors' had come up.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!!!

I have installed several sets of these as well as other SNM lights, and I had the same problem! Evidently, you can only sync the pair of lights that will be turned on at the same time. If you have 2 sets of HAWs in the rear, and a set or two up front on a different switch but you have all of the sync wires hooked up, they will not flash correctly unless all are turned on because the sync is sensitive to lights that are turned off in the "chain".

I was frustrated with the flickering until I turned on the other ones I had sync'd to them and then the flicker went away.

So the way to fix it is to have both your red and white rear HAWs only sync'd to each other and you will have to have them both on the same switch.

Weird yes, but I'd bet you the farm that this is your problem!

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
Id like to add that you cannot hook a red and white HAW to the same flasher. If you look on the flasher module, there is a red dot or a blue dot. The red dot will only flash red and amber HAWs, and the blue dot will only flash blue and white HAWs.

Your setup sounds weird since you mentioned the passengers side of the truck behaves normally because you said it's on a diff flasher.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
If you are having and issue with the lights or flasher by all means send it back and we will take care of it. To be honest Wireking may be right but we have never synced lights in the front and rear that can't be seen as its just not a request we get so that may be the issue. We will have to try to replicate this issue at the shop.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.