The Best $75 Bucks I ever Spent.... Mars Spectra

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I picked up this "little" gem this morning. A guy about 45 minutes away had it on Craigslist for $75.00! I must have called him right after he put the ad up. He bought the thing at the end of an auction. It was "in a pile of leftover crap nobody else wanted!" The thing is a beast and must weigh 60 lbs. As usual, with my crappy camera, the pics aren't doing it justice.

All it needed was a good cleaning. I fired it up, and it worked flawlessly. The lenses were in great shape, and there was an engraved message inside on the frame:

S/N 216

10-12-88

Della

Ted

Maybe the assembler and inspector? The date would match the Naples, Florida era, I should think.

I haven't seen the Spectra with a dual speaker port. Anyone know anything about it?? JENNY? Dan??

00x0x_ew7nQpyxLqf_600x450.jpg

3Ef3Gf3Kb5I65G15ted718ec04bca273317a9.jpg

20130702_133705.jpg

20130702_140421.jpg

20130702_153054.jpg

20130702_153132.jpg

20130702_153146.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Awesome snag, man! Can't beat getting Mars stuff for cheap :thumbsup:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'm more used to this speaker grill type.

marsss.JPG

Just because a MARs light is custom and/or atypical doesn't mean it's not factory. It's not the standard speaker grill, but it sure looks professional and "MARS like".

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Over two hours and no JennyCop in an epic MARS thread... someone do a welfare check.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
JohnMarcson said:
Over two hours and no JennyCop in an epic MARS thread... someone do a welfare check.

Hope she doesn't figure out my address............ But she is welcome to the ratty pile of old mattresses from my dad's store as a consolation prize!

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I hate to tell you, but with the dual speaker grill it clearly isn't a real Mars bar...it's a cheap knock-off. I happen to be writing a research paper on counterfeit products (covering all types), and I could use this as an example for when I present the paper. So, I'd be willing to cover your cost of getting taken plus shipping, so you don't get stuck with it. Nice bar!!!

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Tristar said:
I hate to tell you, but with the dual speaker grill it clearly isn't a real Mars bar...it's a cheap knock-off. I happen to be writing a research paper on counterfeit products (covering all types), and I could use this as an example for when I present the paper. So, I'd be willing to cover your cost of getting taken plus shipping, so you don't get stuck with it. Nice bar!!!

Sorry, but that's the bar that was stolen out of my shed. He's going to have to send it to me. :D

R2knee

Mar 26, 2013
sw ohio
I'm digging that groovy Mars light ya got there. By the way Mark, what the hell is going on up there anyway? People running around all willy-nilly shootin at cops and such?

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Its a factory speaker cut out. Mars went to Florida they found it cheaper to just have the center sections cut twice with big holes and put the screens in than to have each small hole punched.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Respondcode3 said:
Its a factory speaker cut out. Mars went to Florida they found it cheaper to just have the center sections cut twice with big holes and put the screens in than to have each small hole punched.

The Spectra I have has the slots cut into it, not the screens. However, that line of bars is fully customer spect. So just as how many options that can be put into the bar, the speaker grill could have been customer ordered. Also that bar is longer then other Spectra Systems I have seen.

BTW nice bar. Good score

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
The light looks great, as does yours, John. I've re-started my collecting, but have just one for now, a Code 3 Force 4 XL - Mini.

I have one question for both of you, though: What kind of power sources are you using for your lights? As I'm planning to add to my collection and no, I doubt I'd attempt to run all at one time, but I still need a decent power source to use with the various lights, sirens, etc. that I'm looking to add.

Thanks and again, those MARS lights look great!

Stay safe!

SteveG

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
And it has space to mount 2 speakers, so you'd be sure to go deaf (if you actually put this beauty in service again).

fng605

Jun 27, 2013
IL
That is an outstanding looking Light bar. I'm not too familiar with the Mars line, but that was definitely a steal!

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
DalmatProd said:
The light looks great, as does yours, John. I've re-started my collecting, but have just one for now, a Code 3 Force 4 XL - Mini.

I have one question for both of you, though: What kind of power sources are you using for your lights? As I'm planning to add to my collection and no, I doubt I'd attempt to run all at one time, but I still need a decent power source to use with the various lights, sirens, etc. that I'm looking to add.

Thanks and again, those MARS lights look great!

Stay safe!

SteveG

Steve are you asking John M. or me?

I use regulated power supplies or computer supplies for the bars that are fully electronic, IE strobes and LED. I use home made power supplies for the all incandescent / halogen bars. (transformer, rectifier, a few caps (capacitors) and may be a (choke) coil). Light bulbs do not care if they get AC or DC current, but motors do and the 537 flasher is a heat/mechanical flasher so it don't care either.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I can't wait til the day I score something this fantabulous for an insanely pitiful price and can rub it in the faces of all those who have fantastic finds here!!!!!!!!!

:hissyfit: :hissyfit:

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
jdh said:
Steve are you asking John M. or me?

I was actually asking both John and CrescentStar69, the originator of the Post.

Currently (pardon the pun) I have just the 1986 Code 3 Force 4 XL-Mini with TCL. I used a posted formula to figure out that this particular light will actually draw 12 amps, but I think I'd plan for 30 amps, for when I add to my collection. Searching online, I found a Powerwerx 30 amp tabletop supply, as I'm not as technically savvy that would allow me to build my own. That's why I'm trying to get a feel for what others here are using.

Thanks for the reply. It does fill in some info on my "survey."

Be safe,

SteveG

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
To make the video, I hooked it up to my car battery with jumper cables. At home, I use a rechargeable battery jumper pack. I don't have anything on current display actually wired up. My needs are usually just to test new things, which then become permanent shelf sitters.

I am sure someone who actually knows something about the subject will tell me I am doing it wrong, but it is what I have. I have never fried anything......... Yet.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
crescentstar69 said:
To make the video, I hooked it up to my car battery with jumper cables. At home, I use a rechargeable battery jumper pack. I don't have anything on current display actually wired up. My needs are usually just to test new things, which then become permanent shelf sitters.

I am sure someone who actually knows something about the subject will tell me I am doing it wrong, but it is what I have. I have never fried anything......... Yet.

Unless you're powering strobes with the jumper pack, it should be just fine. Sometimes strobes can do weird things when improperly powered.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It seems like all bets were off when MARS moved to Florida. Almost any configuration from that period can be "factory". Made for some cool lights but difficult to spot homebrews.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
JohnMarcson said:
I'm Code 4! Thanks John. :p

I tell ya ,I take one itty bitty vacation and I miss out on three awesome Mars finds!

This light bar is factory correct complete Mars product! No customization here, Respondecode3 pretty much covered it.

Respondcode3 said:

Last edited by a moderator:

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
OK, so my question is..... do you want to double your money?? LOL!

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Oh, I forgot to add.....

ai248.photobucket.com_albums_gg192_PCComms_Avatars_peter_grumpy1280x1024_1.jpg

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
crescentstar69 said:
The Mars Queen is back! I was starting to worry about you Jenny.

Awww.. thanks! I'm fine just needed a small break! Great find your one lucky guy! It is a beautiful bar, Now you need to display it next to that Mars Clarion II of yours.

hyperjohnny

Nov 1, 2010
WI USA
Zapp Brannigan said:
I can't wait til the day I score something this fantabulous for an insanely pitiful price and can rub it in the faces of all those who have fantastic finds here!!!!!!!!!

:hissyfit: :hissyfit:

Like this NOS Aurora Borealis in the original rotten cardboard box for $75?

Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in...

100_4706.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.