The HAM Radio Thread

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
We utilize APRS with my SAR team, we have little transmitters set up in small Otter boxes that we give out to every team leader so we can track them from Command. For me right now, that would be the only situation that I would use it in, and like I said, we already have that capability.

So, what would everyone suggest for a first time radio? I'm debating between a handheld or a "portable base" like the Yaesu FT-817. I've got my Extra, so I would like to work on more than just UHF/VHF...

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
wx8sky said:
I flew from Cleveland to Nashville via SWA - was allowed to use my HT all the way (pilot was cool about it), on 1 watt, I was able to hit the Cleveland repeater about 20 minutes out from landing in Nashville :)

Have you tried this lately? How did you get it thru security

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
RyanZ71 said:
I know APRS is helpful for ARES operations but other than that I am not sure I would want anyone to know where I am at... :eek:

My assumption has always been that anybody that is smart enough to figure out where I am via APRS falls into one of the following categories; A) Is just randomly clicking on me on an APRS map to see my info/who I am. B) accidentally navigated to some web page that they didn't mean to, or C) is most definitely too fat and/or lazy with extremely thick glasses and body odor to even know how to initiate a physical assault on me. And if I'm wrong, if they feel like crawling away with a broken nose, knife wound, or various numbers of bullet wounds, they can try. Any information other than my location garnered from APRS usage is pretty much useless. Ok, so some fat wheezy engineer knows where I'm at. What's he gonna do with that info? Pass it along to his buddies in criminal enterprises? I'm pretty sure my wife can take care of that with the 12 gauge with 8 rounds of 9-pellet 00-buck plus the other 8 rounds loaded on the side of the gun.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
One of the issues I have is how easy it is to obtain the names and addresses of ham radio operators. I've heard of several hams having had their shacks/homes broken into and stuff stolen where the criminals ended up looking up their addresses from their call signs and using a call sign data base after hearing them talk about the equipment over the air.

Reactions: southpaw

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
Thats why you attach your license to a p.o.box. You can do that. And now a days alot of call sign look ups dont show addresses unless you have an account with them. I am sure they keep a record of every ip address that searches each call sign just in case something happens. Food for thought. But i am with ben. Im not worried about a ham if i cant get them with the shot gun. The .45 with critical defense will do the job.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
FFParker said:
Thats why you attach your license to a p.o.box. You can do that. And now a days alot of call sign look ups dont show addresses unless you have an account with them. I am sure they keep a record of every ip address that searches each call sign just in case something happens. Food for thought. But i am with ben. Im not worried about a ham if i cant get them with the shot gun. The .45 with critical defense will do the job.

I was unaware that we could use PO boxes now for the addresses. I seem to recall being told years ago when I got my ticket that we were not allowed to use PO Boxes.

Thanks.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
RyanZ71 said:
was unaware that we could use PO boxes now for the addresses. I seem to recall being told years ago when I got my ticket that we were not allowed to use PO Boxes.

It's legal, when I got my license back in September, I changed both of mine to a PO Box address. I hadn't really worried about it when I only had a GMRS license, but with a ham license and since I really wanted an Indiana Vanity plate with my license on it, I decided to go the PO Box route. That and I have a wife who is a full time wheelchair user who doesn't need low life showing up at our front door when I'm not home!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
what does best wishes own?

or are you suggesting multiple best wishes?

then there are tose that say besot of 73... so is that best of the best wishes?

as some say

"see you on down the log book"

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
Jarred J. said:
what does best wishes own?

or are you suggesting multiple best wishes?

then there are tose that say besot of 73... so is that best of the best wishes?

as some say

"see you on down the log book"

When I started ham I used to get ragged on for saying 73s. Only takes a couple times of being told during a net how to use it correctly to learn.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Used very loosely out in the west. I've never heard of it being a problem, the general perception is that it means "Best Wishes, thank you, and talk again soon."

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
it just means "best regards" thas it...

see here.

Origin of Ham Stuff

(Via Louise Ramsey Moreau, W3WRE, & Charles A. Wimer, KC8EHA)

The following is from Louise Ramsey Moreau, W3WRE:

The traditional expression "73" goes right back to the beginning of the landline telegraph days. It is found in some of the earliest editions of the numerical codes, each with a different definition, but each with the same idea in mind - it indicated that the end, or signature, was coming up. But there are no data to prove that any of these were used.

The first authentic use of 73 is in the publication "The National Telegraphic Review and Operators' Guide", first published in April 1857. At that time, 73 meant "My love to you"! Succeeding issues of this publication continued to use this definition of the term. Curiously enough, some of the other numerals used then had the same definition as they have now, but within a short time, the use of 73 began to change.

In the National Telegraph Convention, the numeral was changed from the Valentine-type sentiment to a vague sign of fraternalism. Here, 73 was a greeting, a friendly "word" between operators and it was so used on all wires.

In 1859, the Western Union Company set up the standard "92 Code." A list of numerals from one to 92 was compiled to indicate a series of prepared phrases for use by the operators on the wires. Here, in the 92 Code, 73 changes from a fraternal sign to a very flowery "accept my compliments", which was in keeping with the florid language of that era.

Over the years from 1859 to 1900, the many manuals of telegraphy show variations of this meaning. Dodge's "The Telegraph Instructor" shows it merely as "compliments." The Twentieth Century Manual of Railways and Commercial Telegraphy defines it two ways, one listing as "my compliments to you"; but in the glossary of abbreviations it is merely "compliments". Theodore A. Edison's Telegraphy Self-Taught shows a return of "accept my compliments". By 1908, however, a later edition of the Dodge Manual gives us today's definition of "best regards" with a backward look at the older meaning in another part of the work where it also lists it as "compliments".

"Best regards" has remained ever since as the "put-it-down-in-black-and-white" meaning of 73 but it has acquired overtones of much warmer meaning. Today, amateurs use it more in the manner that James Reid had intended that it be used - a "friendly word between operators".

I hope that this helps you in some way....

Charles A. Wimer

Amateur Radio Call: KC8EHA

Assistant Emergency Coordinator, Trumbull County (OH)

ARRL Official Emergency Station (OH)

other useful ones

1 - Wait

2 - Important business

3 - What is the time?

6 - I am ready

7 - Are you ready?

12 - Do you understand?

13 - I understand

14 - What is the weather?

17 - Lightning here

19 - Form 19 train order (used by RR)

21 - Stop to eat

23 - All copy

24 - Repeat this back

30 - No more, end

31 - Form 31 train order (used by RR)

44 - Answer promptly by wire

73 - Best regards

88 - Love and kisses

92 - Deliver promptly

134 - Who is at the key?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Field day plans?

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
I will do my normal ritual of going out at mid night and racking up on the contacts quietly and fade away. Not very social during field day. I just want to power thru the contacts with no interruptions. I have A D D so its not hard.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
thread revival and tbeen a year so...

field day plans?

I'm working 12 hours of it so I'm out

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
and another revival... its field day time again...

I took off for field day this year.. will be operating K4T as a 3 club event.

Bedford county amateur radio society

middle Tn amateur repeater club

Short Mountain repeater club.

we will be set up in a field at old stone fort in Manchester TN

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Im studying! I have some booklets and practice material my fiancees Grandpa gave me, he has been a HAM and in communications forever, even when in the service he was in communications.

Im hoping to take the test by the fall as long as I dont get sidetracked.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Im studying! I have some booklets and practice material my fiancees Grandpa gave me, he has been a HAM and in communications forever, even when in the service he was in communications.

Im hoping to take the test by the fall as long as I dont get sidetracked.

Just go to qrz.com. Take a bunch of practice test. When you can pass 10 in a row at 90% or better go take the real thing

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
well its time to see if we have any other new HAMS.. or stories...

waiting on results from Field day to see how godd our multi club event went against others in the area...

we had like 2400 points or so

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Huntsville hamfest is THIS weekend yay vacation!!!!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Field day starts in a few hours

We are operating out of our EMA office this year

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Field day starts in a few hours

We are operating out of our EMA office this year
How did it go?

My field day group (using the call W3DE) was fairly successful this year, 733 contacts vs 521 last year. A pretty casual group but I think we did quite well. I managed 228 QSOs myself, mostly on 40m but started playing around on 6-20 meters on Sunday.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
you did good then.... since the HF rigs in the EMA office have hardly ever been used we thought we'd try them out.
we had a guy bring a setup on a portable screw driver and he made digital contacts.

i made my first 18 contacts on a HF vertical Ant that was like 20 feet in the air. it sucked big time took forever to get qsl from other end. took me 5 hours to get those.

i swapped over to a dipole 40 feet hanging off our EMA tour and knocked out 6 contacts in the last hour i was there.... Since it was later in the evening all my contacts were on 80m 24 is better that than the 22 i did last year so i bet my record. i dont know how many total contacts were made but i made more voice contacts then the digital station did in the 12 hours he was there...

i dont do "cq field day" i only answer...

our club call is KI4NJJ which is murder on hf and CW, we used our ARES coordinator call of AA4SH and that was almost as bad... next year maybe we will get a 1 by 1 as in years past.

98% of the club in my county are "old codgers" 4 of them showed up and never touched a radio... the last few years several of the clubs im in linked up and did large field days.. those were fun last year we had over 1,000 conatcts and a heck of a meal....

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I miss field day. I've had to take a leave from ham radio stuff for the past 4 years or so save for the occasional check in with my old Kenwood HT for Sunday night net. I sold all my other gear when I lost my job last year.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
How hard is it to get your ham license here in Texas... I want to get it.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
shouldnt be harder than any other state... its all on the "end user"

here is the page where you find where to take the test...

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

type in your zip and or state and viola, now you just need to study and remember that all QSO's must be in english or the FCC will get you LOL

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
The test is federal, so it's the same everywhere you take it. There are 3 levels of the license, and you test for them sequentially (can't skip the lower 2 and only take the highest test, but you can do them all on the same day). The easiest one is Technician level and gives access to the shorter-range stuff like the "2 meter band" and "70 centimeter band" (VHF and UHF, similar to police/fire bands). You can talk car-car for several miles but can go much further if there are repeaters in your area. ( https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/prox.php ) For long range stuff, the General license is next and gives access to all of the long range bands for voice, morse code and digital modes. The highest license is Extra and gives access to more frequencies within the same bands that the Generals can use, you really only need that if you start getting into the contests or rare international stations.

This site gives a good overview... http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

Most folks start off with the Technician license, since it's a pretty easy test. Some folks with a decent radio or electronics background can pass it without even studying. The General level is a bit more work, but a few days of studying will get the job done. You can get study books to help you learn the test questions (the question pools are public), and also apps for both android and iphone. I used this one for android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iversoft.ham.test.prep&hl=en I passed Tech and General on the same day and went back a year later for the Extra.

There are no license fees from the FCC, although there are small fees charged to cover supplies by the local club that runs the testing site, typically around $15. On a privacy note, the radio license data is public online, so anybody can find your name and address. You might want to use a PO Box for the license.

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
I am a brand new Tech! Took my test in July, have been listening more than talking. Learning a lot so far. I plan on upgrading to general at some point soon.

Drew - KG5UFU

Reactions: Bill Boyd

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Id request a call of UFO lol

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I have always wondered if any local South Texas HAMs listen in on the Mexican Cartel and Mexican Authorities traffic... Im not a ham im a super noob at radios and even I can listen to them shooting at each other and talking crap with a cheap $25 amazon radio if I tune in about 4 miles from the actual border.. I can just imagine a super nerd with a 40 foot antenna at home and hot pockets and coke zero on his desk just imagine the things he must listen to. I do have to admit I got hooked as soon as I accidently picked up the Mexican side and the crazy shit they broadcast the tactics and shootouts and screaming that they got ambushed and or shot its very interesting stuff.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.