The Ultimate Vintage Police Car Thread

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Seeing those Blazers and those Crown vic LTDs i can truly say that i was born in the wrong year..... I WISH i was born in that decade and was able to patrol the streets in those beautys..... instead i have to drive around in a plastic car with generic LED lights that everyone has.....

something about those old school units that just looks tough and classy.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Britain, the land of Isaac Newton. Didn't he have something to say about wind drag? That's a whole lotta stuff on those roofs.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Skippy said:
This one was identified as a 1971 Plymouth satellite, but someone else told me it was a Fury.
It is a 71 Plymouth Satellite who ever said its a Fury doesn't know his cars and just got owned by a girl!! This big boy is a 1971 Plymouth Fury! This is an ultimate police car, with a big block 440! This one is a San Diego County Sheriff's unit sporting the infamous "Duffy" Green. I believe 1971 was the first year of this paint scheme.32030390005_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Wow, that could be the dictionary example of wind resistance. Bumper, bar and van.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
JazzDad said:
Wow, that could be the dictionary example of wind resistance.

Emergency vehicles don't need to be aerodynamic.

The desire for aerodynamics has wreaked havoc on the design of electronic sirens and speakers - speakers have gotten smaller and the wail and yelp tones have gotten higher in pitch.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Wailer said:
[Emphasis added.]

I would imagine that a number of fleet managers, especially highway patrol, would take exception to that statement. Small improvements to laminar flow, and the associated fuel savings, must be attractive to large departments.

:)

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
JazzDad said:
[Emphasis added.]

I would imagine that a number of fleet managers, especially highway patrol, would take exception to that statement. Small improvements to laminar flow, and the associated fuel savings, must be attractive to large departments.

:)

Highway patrol cars, yes. Fire engines, rescue units, paddy wagons, and ambulances, no.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Shhhh, I'm twacking that waskally wabbit. He-he-he.

waskely.jpg

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Wailer said:

Hmmm...kind of makes the Fed Sig Jet Sonic and Code 3 Force 4 LP seem pointless. Both Fed Sig and Code 3 advertised their low profile bars as fuel efficient, and even improving air flow.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
OK, I know these aren't technically police vehicles...

cadis.jpg

Did the upfitter have to cut the angle on the bottom of that beacon to fit the curvature of the roof?

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
JazzDad said:
OK, I know these aren't technically police vehicles...

View attachment 62839

Did the upfitter have to cut the angle on the bottom of that beacon to fit the curvature of the roof?
1960 Plymouth, 1951 Cadillac and 1956 Cadillac! Yes the bottom of the Beacon had to be cut at a slant to fit the curvature of that 1956 Caddy Ambulance.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
This is me in 1975 at Cobo Arena in Downtown Detroit at the Autorama, Detroit's second largest car show. Autorama is a huge showcase of custom motor vehicles. Anyway... who knows anything about THIS ride? And I vaguely remember that at this same show there was a police car with a helicoptor blade (no pic).

2281_52201261905_1640_n.jpg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
LRGJr72 said:
Oh MY God! I'd given up any anyone identifying this car and its story. THANKS SO MUCH!

And from the new guy, Michi. What a great way to come on board!

Michi

Nov 5, 2013
Europe / Germany / NRW
Thanks guys!

I'm a mopar Fan for years and I love those 4door Policecars ( finally found my own ). I remamber that Satellite from an article and love that unusual style...

But make sure, I'm not that good in lightbars...

I'm here to learn more about it :)

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
If I remember correctly, that car was put together by car craft or hot rod magazine, and the wording on the door shield was "quid me vexbaum"

"What me worry" from mad magazine. it had a built up 440 magnum engine.

Clarence

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Clarence H said:
If I remember correctly, that car was put together by car craft or hot rod magazine, and the wording on the door shield was "quid me vexbaum"

"What me worry" from mad magazine. it had a built up 440 magnum engine.

Clarence

Thanks to Michi's info I was able to find a few other pics...

kop kar.jpg

kopKar.jpg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
But the way that car is jacked up, wouldn't the lights project too close to the front, and too high to the back? :duh:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Car 63 where are you?

unk.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.