TOMAR Undercover Hide-A-Way LED

cip

Jun 23, 2011
North Central Indiana
TritonBoulder47 said:
True that... Most people don't know the difference Dave... LoL

I'm clear on the difference. I never insinuated at anytime that his sale price would be that much. All I was stating was, overall, the cheaper price is better than the more expensive obviously. Please don't misinterpret what I said.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
cip said:
I'm clear on the difference. I never insinuated at anytime that his sale price would be that much. All I was stating was, overall, the cheaper price is better than the more expensive obviously. Please don't misinterpret what I said.

I don't think he was misinterpreting you. I think he was stating some people don't know the difference. Just throwing that out there. :thumbsup:

cip

Jun 23, 2011
North Central Indiana
Roger that!!! Let us know when you get them, the only thing I have found that I don't like about Tomar products, are the price. Seems as though these will be fairly reasonable.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
cip said:
Roger that!!! Let us know when you get them, the only thing I have found that I don't like about Tomar products, are the price. Seems as though these will be fairly reasonable.

I'll have access to them as soon as they're available for shipment. I'm assuming the link posted earlier is someone taking pre-orders... nobody has them in hand for sales, as of right now. I'm targeting to offer them for around $58.99/ea + shipping.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MichianaELS said:
I'll have access to them as soon as they're available for shipment. I'm assuming the link posted earlier is someone taking pre-orders... nobody has them in hand for sales, as of right now. I'm targeting to offer them for around $58.99/ea + shipping.

Strobesnmore said:
Was told today we should expect our first shipment next week. The lights are on the web site and we will be getting clears before red, amber, or blues.

Can't wait to see a real-life demo video, and maybe even a comparison video (if any consumer out there does one, I know typically distributors don't)!! :thumbsup:

alxjmrk

May 25, 2010
NC, USA
Im thinking with the size of that baby and the single led, it would be neat if it were a P7. With that optic possibly acting as an aspheric lens it would have a very directed light coming out of the angled part, with some side emitted light to fill the HL reflector. Only problem with a P7 is the heat. Lots and Lots of heat.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
So not to long ago there was alot of hype about the new Tomar uc-led haw's.

So what happened with them ?

I saw a few websites including strobesnmore had them listed then one day they were gone from the website.

I have not even found any videos of them or a comparison to other haw's.

Just curious .

Were they a dud ?

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Per the factory (when I called this week), the white versions are available for shipment. Colored versions (red, blue, amber) won't be available until mid-January. I'm not sure what the delay is, but I have a pair of blue on order. I went ahead and ordered a pair of white to test/evaluate, as well. I'll post/update just as soon as they arrive.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
MichianaELS said:
Per the factory (when I called this week), the white versions are available for shipment. Colored versions (red, blue, amber) won't be available until mid-January. I'm not sure what the delay is, but I have a pair of blue on order. I went ahead and ordered a pair of white to test/evaluate, as well. I'll post/update just as soon as they arrive.

:thumbsup: Can't wait for the review...

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Just got a pair of white UC-LEDs in today. Below are photos of the light, including during the unpacking process. Also below is a demonstration video I made of the UC-LED next to a Feniex Fairy hide-a-way LED. My apologies for the poor quality, as the only thing I had available to me was my iPhone 4.

These are my honest impressions. To give full disclosure, I am a TOMAR distributor. However, as many of my customers (a lot of whom are here on ELB) can tell you, I always give my full and honest opinion on lighting products - whether I sell them or not; the good, the bad and the in between. With all that said... wow. These are, by far, the brightest hide-a-way LEDs I have ever encountered. The construction is solid, the inline flasher is much like Whelen/Feniex/etc and the output is simply amazing for such a small package. These are definitely going to be my "go to" hide-a-way products now - over any strobe or LED product.

facc3ef8.jpg

751d220b.jpg

c848a16a.jpg

2b16d1a8.jpg

e2c3eb61.jpg

ba351849.jpg

ea051bd7.jpg

8d0094bf.jpg

3dd8daf2.jpg

a4304d00.jpg

dbbbbef2.jpg

8d44988e.jpg

1629a9b5.jpg

5eb18ec4.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
WOW. they look great! how much for a pair of white?

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
After watching this review I feel I must post a few clearifications. I just want to point out a few things and this is not meant to say anything negative about the dealer posting the Video.

The Tomar lights were definitetly NOT what I was expecting. When I recieved my sample I canceled everything that had not shipped to me from the factory because of issues I had with the lights. These are a 90 degree LED and can only be mounted with the optics facing forward. The Video states you can mount them facing directly out but that is 100% incorrect and verified with Tomars tech support. This means you can only mount these from the sides, top, or bottom of your light housing. They are not designed for light to be transmitted anywhere but the small groved area on the light head which acts as the optics. These lights are the largest LED hide a ways I have seen, slightly larger than the Nova N500 units which are also a 90 degree undercover LED. They are nicely built but the brands this gentlemans state are inferior are actually far superior without question in my opinion. When compared against the Whelen and our own brand LEDs the Tomars did not come close in output, intensity and especially spread. If you have a situation where you can mount them with the optics pointing directly forward they are a nice unit but very focused. After all the hype these lights really let me down. Sorry Tomar.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I'm not attempting to be vague in the video. By stating the lights are designed to be shown outward, I meant just that - they're directional in nature, as opposed to the more widely used "domed" models, which is why I also pointed that out. There are no attempts on my part to mislead.

And with all due respect, the statement as to the SNM/Whelen/etc brands being far superior in output... That's incorrect. It just is. But everyone is entitled to their opinion! :thumbsup:

Pursuit

May 23, 2010
Pulaski County, AR
Just so I am understanding everyone clearly, you are saying that the light head must only be aimed outward away from the car? That seems odd. Any previous directional LED hide-a-way that I have used, I would aim the light head directly into the reflector so the light would bounce back out with a larger footprint.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Pursuit said:
Just so I am understanding everyone clearly, you are saying that the light head must only be aimed outward away from the car? That seems odd. Any previous directional LED hide-a-way that I have used, I would aim the light head directly into the reflector so the light would bounce back out with a larger footprint.

Yeah, things are getting a bit confused... these are designed to throw the light in one specific direction. For the use as you stated, yes, aimed directly into the reflector. I'll attempt to put it in a housing and get some photos/video.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Wasn't the 'directional' approach tried (and failed) with the original Sound Off towers? yeah, performance was great if mounting was perfect and optimal. Outside of that, eh...... And, how often was/is mounting 'perfect'? Almost never, with all the curvatures of vehicles today.

I don't forsee these being a 'hit'.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Again the information being provided is incorrect. From Tomars install guide "Drill a 1.00 inch diameter hole and insert the LED lamp into the hole, oriented in such a way that the middle of the Fresnel face is aimed at the center of the desired area of coverage." These LEDs are not designed to be mounted with the light flashing into the light housing, they are designed for you to point the fresnel which is where the light is emitted to where you want it to flash. (usually the area in front of or behind the vehicle). As I stated these lights offer a very focused area of light so they needed to be mounted just right to get good light output and again they are designed to be mounted in the top, bottom, and in the sides of the light housing.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Strobesnmore said:
Again the information being provided is incorrect. From Tomars install guide "Drill a 1.00 inch diameter hole and insert the LED lamp into the hole, oriented in such a way that the middle of the Fresnel face is aimed at the center of the desired area of coverage." These LEDs are not designed to be mounted with the light flashing into the light housing, they are designed for you to point the fresnel which is where the light is emitted to where you want it to flash. (usually the area in front of or behind the vehicle). As I stated these lights offer a very focused area of light so they needed to be mounted just right to get good light output and again they are designed to be mounted in the top, bottom, and in the sides of the light housing.

Reading Tomar's install guide it appears that they can be mounted so they flash either into the light reflector OR towards the front/rear/side of the vehicle. Please note that this is how I read it, also remember I not an installer. I'd be interested in seeing how they go with either mounting orientation.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I just got shipping notification that a pair of blue are headed my way, as of today. The pair of whites are being installed in a Ford F-350 plow truck this weekend. I'll update accordingly.

Also, to note - yes... the units are designed to have the brightest part of the light pointed outward, not into the reflector itself. If I stated the reverse of that prior, I apologize. I still stand behind my opinion that they are the brightest available hide-a-way LEDs on the market. Bar none. Are they the most versatile? Absolutely not. But if you want something for headlight/taillight applications, this is a fantastic product.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MichianaELS said:
I just got shipping notification that a pair of blue are headed my way, as of today. The pair of whites are being installed in a Ford F-350 plow truck this weekend. I'll update accordingly.

Also, to note - yes... the units are designed to have the brightest part of the light pointed outward, not into the reflector itself. If I stated the reverse of that prior, I apologize. I still stand behind my opinion that they are the brightest available hide-a-way LEDs on the market. Bar none. Are they the most versatile? Absolutely not. But if you want something for headlight/taillight applications, this is a fantastic product.

Even though not 'designed' to be aimed at the reflector, any idea how it might perform if done as such? I would love to find it out, just cannot afford to buy a couple pairs just to experiment on my own...

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MichianaELS said:

Picture(s)? Video(s)?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MichianaELS said:
The blues arrived yesterday. They're still sitting in the unopened box. I'll get to them shortly and update accordingly.

Or you could just send them to me for free and I can install and take videos... :haha:

I was wondering about the clears you had gotten for that plow truck last week, but can't wait to see the blues!!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Storm4200 said:
would these sync to a pair whelen TIR3s?

If you mean Whelen TIR3's, then probably, not, different manufacturers, unless you set to steady-burn and then use an external LED flasher.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Eric1249 said:
I want to put some red leds in the driving lights of my gf's 06 Explorer. I am trying to decide if I should use the Tomars or Sound Off's?

Eric

Most of us are waiting to see pictures/videos/real world demo's of these Tomar's. As of yet, I have yet to see any picture (other than Tomar's own for the brochure(s)), let alone comparison of them versus anything else!

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
C2Installs said:
I have asked several manufacturers to offer two modes in their lightheads. Glad to see someone else thinks it's a good idea. SoundOff has sorta done this with their LED HAWs and Intersectors, but the second mode is a cruise mode and not as useful as it could be.

The TOMAR units look good. Wish them luck in an already crowded market.

Yeah, the SOS Cruise light option would be really cool if you could use it with the lighthead not flashing. The fact that the lighthead has to be active in order to use the cruiselight function makes it useless, IMO. The SOS Undercover is my favorite HAW LED by far, unfortunately the reliability of the SOS product here in New England has been horrible. I've had so may lighthead failures that I no longer install anything but the UC's.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MichianaELS said:
The blues arrived yesterday. They're still sitting in the unopened box. I'll get to them shortly and update accordingly.

Bueller?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.