Vintage NYPD shops Question

Jamie Trow

Feb 2, 2018
New York
How did the NYPD shops change the Bulbs atop the roof of the Beacon Rays. I myself changed the bulbs from a few Beacon Rays that are already off..and you need to take the 3 screws off the skirt and pretty much flip it upside down..slide it out of the dome...you can't do that if its bolted down on top....just curious..???

- Jamie

The internal plate is secured to the roof, the chrome base is not. Once the 3 screws are removed, the chrome base will lift up and over the dome.Once the base is off the dome can be removed. I always felt that it could of been a better set up, but who am I.

Reactions: dmathieu
Jamie, the amber lamp NYPD used might not have been the same 100% of the time, but here is a photo of the Model 175-H Beacon Ray light on an actual (unrestored) 1968 NYPD car.

NYPD 1968 equipment - copyrighted.jpg

That looks like an amber fog (fluted) thanks..by the way..as much as movies go, The 1973 - "Across 110th Street", starring Anthony Quinn, towards the end..there's a scene showing a nice closeup of a amber fog..now, although it's a movie, it's still circa 1973..it was r/r/a/r...

Yes, it should be Red/Red/Amber/Red (during the 1963-72 era). In NYPD's custom configuration, the two back-to-back reds are slightly angled up & down (one red is 15 degrees up, and the opposite red is 30 degrees down). The amber, and the red behind it, are level.

Beacon Ray 175-H on NYPD '70 Ford.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minnesota_em_vehicles