Vintage Patents and Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
1979 brings us the Public Safety Equipment Inc. Patent for the Code 3 XL light bar. The patent is strictly conceptual drawings with no details. Thanks to stansdds for identifying this one.

PSE Force 4 1979 (1).JPG PSE Force 4 1979 (2).JPG PSE Force 4 1979 (3).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnMarcson

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
24 Jan 1973, Oliver J. Burland, without naming Mars as the assignee, applied for a patent for a flashing signal with a pair of vertically spaced lamps mounted on a lamp frame which is pivotable about vertical and horizontal axes. Maybe someone recognizes this device.

View attachment 151050 View attachment 151051
I sure do recognize that device! It is the Mars Light used by a number of railroads, especially west of the Mississippi, during the1960's and well into the 1980's.
ai.ytimg.com_vi_2Qk3KYUsv7I_hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Skulldigger

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
1971 was a big year for Oliver J. Burland who becomes a designer for Mars lights. His patent for 28 July 1971 is for "An emergency vehicle warning light having three aligned lamp units with the middle unit having a double lamp, each unit being mounted on a vertical post for oscillation in a horizontal plane, the source of electrical current to the lamps being delivered through the bottom ends of the posts." Tsquale identified this one as the "Spectrasystem minibar". I had never seen one before.

View attachment 150923 View attachment 150924
A "Spectrasystem mini" had a different Frame/Base and is called "Aurorasystem High Profile"
This is a Model 400 (4 sealed beams; all oscilating)
And a Model 600 (6 seald beams; 2 dual rotating + front-&rearflasher) and Model 800 (8 sealed beams; 2 tripple rotating + front-&rearflasher) are also exists.

Two of the Model 600 mounted together on a 5,5" crossbar was called Skybar Combo. So I think, the whole model family could be called as Skybar.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I am including this Japanese light only for the drawing it has. Invented by Shozo Hitora of Nara, Japan and assigned to the Sasaki Electric Manufacturing, Co., Ltd., is a Japanese FireBall. Patent applied for 05 Jan 1979. Its variation is listed as "a beam-rotary lamp which has a reflector revolving around an electric lamp, an improvement is presented herein which is characterized by that a lamp unit is set together with a power unit comprising a reflector driving motor inside a closed helmet-shaped space, wherein the space is formed with a transparent bowl-shaped globe and an egg-shaped flat chassis on said globe."

Sasaki Fireball 1979-1.JPG Sasaki Fireball 1979-2.JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
02 Sept 1980, Michael v. McConnell and Paul D. Graham of Illinois, Assignee's for the Federal Sign and Signal Corporation, applied for a patent for a "Speaker Grille for Streamlined Light Bar Mounted On Vehicle Roof". Described as an "improved speaker grille for incorporation in the housing of a light/siren assembly of a type which is mounted across the roof of a police car or other emergency vehicle, the improved grille being designed to significantly reduce the drag coefficient of the light/siren assembly due to the unique location of the grille openings." What we have the very recognizable grille of the Aerotwinsonic and Aerodynic lightbar.

Aero Grill -1.JPG Aero Grill -2.JPG Aero Grill -3.JPG Aero Grill -4.JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Our next 1980 patent is the first time we see some complicated electronics coming into play. 28 Mar 1980, Edward S. Stanuch for the Federal Signal Corporation shows us his improved Visibar with electronically synchronized Twin Rays. Each light has it's own independent motor, but they are synchronized so that the speed of rotation and phase of each unit is synced with the master light without the necessity of mechanical connections, such as the chain on the Visibar. With this setup you can have two or more lights with a synced pattern.

I don't know if this light was ever distributed, but I know some of you guys will have that answer.

Sync Visibar 1.JPG Sync Visibar 2.JPG Sync Visibar 3.JPG Sync Visibar 4.JPG Sync Visibar 5.JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
30 Sept 1982, Richard M. McCarthy of Connecticut, for R. E. Dietz Company of NY, applied for a patent regarding "A rotary beacon for use in emergency equipment where a turntable carrying electric lights rotates with respect to the base."

Dietz 82 -1.JPG Dietz 82 -2.JPG Dietz 82 -3.JPG Dietz 82 -4.JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Who knows why the Federal Jetsonic is called by that name? This patent will explain it. Initially applied for 16 May 1983, but not published until 06 Jan 1987, we have the return of Earl W. Gosswiller for Federal Signal Corp. This patent is for a "Low drag warning system for emergency vehicles having an aerodynamic design reducing turbulent flow past the housing for increased fuel economy and performance. The housing of the warning light system is provided with a pair of light globe compartments possessing an effecient aerodynamic design and a central speaker housing. The speaker housing has a downward sloped speaker grill to create a flow pattern also reducing drag. The air flow is introduced into the speaker housing with a ram effect (Ram Jet). Outflow ports form the speaker housing circulate an air flow within the domes to prevent condensation and cool the components therein...."

Jetsonic 1.JPG

Reactions: Tony P

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
That was the design of the housing and frame with the jetsonic air movement, but his is the patent for the light itself. Designed by Earl W. Gosswiller and G. Thomas Ritter for Federal Signal Corporation applied 16 May 1983. "A Warning light system for emergency vehicles having a pair of forward rotating lights and a pair of rear rotating lights separated by a reflector structure. A cam and plunger arrangement causes the rotating light assembly to stop at a predetermined position to serve as end lights in a secondary mode. The rotation of the light assemblies is synchronized to produce a series of inwardly moving flashes from each end of the housing."

Jetsonic 2.JPG Jetsonic 3.JPG Jetsonic 4.JPG

Our next 1980 patent is the first time we see some complicated electronics coming into play. 28 Mar 1980, Edward S. Stanuch for the Federal Signal Corporation shows us his improved Visibar with electronically synchronized Twin Rays. Each light has it's own independent motor, but they are synchronized so that the speed of rotation and phase of each unit is synced with the master light without the necessity of mechanical connections, such as the chain on the Visibar. With this setup you can have two or more lights with a synced pattern.

I don't know if this light was ever distributed, but I know some of you guys will have that answer.

I should use this on my Super Twin BeaconRay!
Predecessor to the smart Vector perhaps?

Great research btw.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia

View attachment 151763 View attachment 151764 View attachment 151765 View attachment 151766 View attachment 151767
I've never seen any such version of the model 11 and, as far as I can tell, the Twin Beacon Ray production ended in 1978. I expect this was a concept only design.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
24 Jan 1973, Oliver J. Burland, without naming Mars as the assignee, applied for a patent for a flashing signal with a pair of vertically spaced lamps mounted on a lamp frame which is pivotable about vertical and horizontal axes. Maybe someone recognizes this device.

View attachment 151050 View attachment 151051
Looks like an old F7 locomotive oscillating headlamp...Superman opening credits???

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
It's not an F7.
I sure do recognize that device! It is the Mars Light used by a number of railroads, especially west of the Mississippi, during the1960's and well into the 1980's.
ai.ytimg.com_vi_2Qk3KYUsv7I_hqdefault.jpg
Looks like an ex Southern Pacific SD9.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Filed 13 Feb 1984, by Robert A. Ferenc of Middletown, Conn. with the Assignee: Whelen Engineering Co., Inc. Deep River, Conn. "A warning light assembly suitable for vehicle roof mounting is built aroiund an I-beam structural member and includes lens elements which engage are are readily positionable on the bean so as to span the flanges at both sides thereof."

Whelen 1.JPG Whelen 2.JPG Whelen 3.JPG
Whelen 4.JPG Whelen 5.JPG Whelen 6.JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
04 Dec 1984, Steven R. Akiyama and Edward S. Stanuch of Oak Forest, Illinois, for Federal Signal Corporation patented "The ornamental design for a combined vehicle warning light and reflector..." Interestingly enough the image is reference as a "Unity Automotive & Safety Lighting Catalog C-143 1978, p. 7, Beacon #26.

Federal Reflector 1.JPG Federal Reflector 2.JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
01 Aug 1988, we see PSE's version of the same light mirror combo from above. Just as Federal reference Unity for their design, PSE referenced S&W, Whelen, Dietz, Signal-Stat, Mars, Federal, Tripp Lite and Southern VP in their designs.

"A base adapted to be mounted on a vehicle supports a light source for generating a rotating light beam. A dome shaped lens is positioned on the base over the light source to form an enclosure for the light source. A coating may be located on the top of the lens to prevent light passing therethrough and into the passenger compartment. Multiple flashes are created by a reflector positioned adjacent the rear portion of the lens to reflect the rotating beam as a plurality of discrete flashes within a sector relative to the base."

PSE 1988 1.JPG PSE 1988 2.JPG PSE 1988 3.JPG
PSE 1988 4.JPG PSE 1988 5.JPG PSE 1988 6.JPG
PSE 1988 7.JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
06 Sept 1989, Harold W. Lyons and James L. Stopa of Connecticut for Whelen Technologies, Inc., patented a "modular-type lightbar assembly has an elongated base having a bottom panel and a pair of oblique integrally extending front and rear sides. Lens elements are mounted to the base and a cover by lock and groovetype connections. Warning beacon units are mounted to platforms supported on base. The beacon units rotate for sequentially directing light through the front and rear lens elements."

Whelen 1989 1.JPG Whelen 1989 2.JPG Whelen 1989 3.JPG
Whelen 1989 4.JPG Whelen 1989 5.JPG Whelen 1989 6.JPG

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Grimes Hi-Flash beacon model G-8190 ad from "Flying" magazine March 1962 Issue.

Attachments

• 20160715_191500.png
    20160715_191500.png
    803.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160715_185549.png
    20160715_185549.png
    876.6 KB · Views: 13

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
T
I had the chance to speak with him when he was living in Pompano Beach FL years ago and he told me of his idea. Pretty neat to speak with him! Thanks,
Billy G
Thanks for the info.! :) happy to get the info.like this one a piece of true great history must say.
You can't believe what can an eye catch...and get a great history product
For first lightbar ever....

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Was Earl designed an aerodynic lightbar too????

The patent filed on 09 Jan 1978 for the "Flashing Light Warning System for Vehicles" known to us as the Aerodynic was designed by Earl W. Gosswiller of Clarendon Hills, Ill. for the Federal Signal Corporation.

Reactions: denko3

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
The patent filed on 09 Jan 1978 for the "Flashing Light Warning System for Vehicles" known to us as the Aerodynic was designed by Earl W. Gosswiller of Clarendon Hills, Ill. for the Federal Signal Corporation.
Thanks for info.
Do you now something else about aerodynic history maybe?

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Thanks for info.
Do you now something else about aerodynic history maybe?

Post #79 in this thread is the patent drawings of the Aerodynic. According to the write up Gosswieller did for the Aerodynic, it accomplished several improvements. One was fewer moving parts since the bulbs were stationary and the mirrors rotated. No need for brushes that wear out and contacts that get dirty. Most importantly the "Plurality" of lights made a more dramatic effect. "Another very important advantage of the present invention relates to the adaptability of the system to provide an unlimited variety in the sequence of the light flashes by simply setting the various reflectors in predetermined positions relative to one another."

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
Post #79 in this thread is the patent drawings of the Aerodynic. According to the write up Gosswieller did for the Aerodynic, it accomplished several improvements. One was fewer moving parts since the bulbs were stationary and the mirrors rotated. No need for brushes that wear out and contacts that get dirty. Most importantly the "Plurality" of lights made a more dramatic effect. "Another very important advantage of the present invention relates to the adaptability of the system to provide an unlimited variety in the sequence of the light flashes by simply setting the various reflectors in predetermined positions relative to one another."
Very interesting info...thanks....very greatfull.

96lt1ss

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago
Still looking for a drawing of the Mars roof mount bar with dimensions. Found a machine shop that is willing to try making them but they want a blueprint to work from.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Still looking for a drawing of the Mars roof mount bar with dimensions. Found a machine shop that is willing to try making them but they want a blueprint to work from.

I haven't been able to find one. If someone has one and get us a patent number off of it I could easily locate the drawings.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
1965, Federal CJ184 PA Light. CJ stands for the CJ-24 speaker installed in the base. Notice they also sold a CJL to convert your existing light into a PA light. wonder if they were labeled that way and if any exist today.1965 Federal CJ184.jpg

Last edited:

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
1965 Federal Visibar Ad. "New, Distinctive, More Compelling". Says it comes with a J440 Electronic Siren and a CP-25 Speaker. Anyone familiar with a J440 Siren?

1965 Visibar Ad.jpg

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
1970 TwinSonic, "A New Visual Experience". Boasts a 640 FPM as the twin rotating sealed beams bounce off the scientifically positioned mirrors.

1970 Twinsonic Ad.jpg

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
1954. I love this one. A very young nude woman barely covering herself and it says "Take a good look". It's human instinct to look again at certain subjects. This is advertising an Air Raid Warning System.

Air Raid.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.