What do you refer to the dispatcher as?

ff_coddington

Oct 29, 2010
smithfield,pa
Fayette County: "38 engine 11 is in the street county" for en route call in. For in service calls "County you can show all 38 units inservice and returning" does using in the street or in traffic show professionalism?

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
'MEC (Metropolitan Emergency Consortium) Center", Columbus FD is simply "Columbus Fire"

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
Our county EMS and FD are dispatched by one organization. They are referred to as "county". The surrounding counties refer to their dispatch as "control".

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Depends on the officer. We're a large University Police Department with 78 sworn officers and 12 tahoes (with a new fleet on the way).

Center

Central

HQ

Head Quarters

Station

University

Desk

My first name

My last name

My Nickname (Vegas)

My XBOX Live gamer tag :roll:

MSU

721 (My badge number)

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
We respond to dispatch as Wolcott Central or just Central. When we were dispatched on county wide years ago it was LCD

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Of course some times we call them "dick-scratch" and then they tell us "you're queer"

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Fire/EMS around here use district and then their station number. Since we do not have our one for our town, we use another town's, district22. I dont know about police because they are state troopers.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
JohnMarcson said:
Of course some times we call them "dick-scratch" and then they tell us "you're queer"

I was gonna reply something like that, but figured I'd get banned!!

Mostly I have tell them I run the street, not them!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
We get called all sorts of things:

County

9-1-1

Dutchess 9-1-1

Dutchess County Control

Dutchess County Communications

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
Dispatch is Zero here...and it fits in more ways than one

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
In my career job, Fire = "Fire Dispatcher", EMS = "EMS Dispatcher" or "EMS", Police was generally "Radio" on the primaries, the admin channels were usually called by the channel name, ie. Rochester PD's admin was "Channel 2".

County to county was usually just the county name: "Monroe to Livingston" unless they didn't answer in a reasonable time, then it was "Monroe County calling Livingston County on the IA (InterAgency) or 45.88 (Fire)"

On most channels, but not all, the field units included the channel name in the initial call: "Perinton Base to EMS on 295 (155.295)" Their dispatchers monitor a number of channels so identifying which channel you are calling on is good sense.

Here in Fulton County, it's "EMS Dispatch" or "Fire Dispatch". First time I used the ambulance radio, I inadvertently said "dispatcher" instead of "dispatch". I got a pretty sarcastic answer back of "EMS DISPATCH!" It is what it is.

KCOEM9103

Aug 16, 2010
Elgin, IL USA
Usually refer to them as County, unless its an urgent message, then Kane County. Don't exactly know why, but I have been doing it that way for years.

blackcherryxj

Jan 1, 2011
Western Kentucky, USA
All the Emergency Services run through one dispatch in my home county, and the adjacent county everything except for EMS is run through one.

We call them Central, or Central Dispatch when they decide not to answer. The EMS dispatch is called medcom.

I once called my central 12 times before an answer. That was an interesting firestorm that I started there between the admins. :)

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
blackcherryxj said:
We call them Central, or Central Dispatch when they decide not to answer.

You too? ;) Same here, except the Central Dispatch is more like "W-I-L-L-I-A-M 6-4-2 T-O C-E-N-T-R-A-L D-I-S-P-A-T-C-H" with distinct and lingering pauses at the '-' and between each word.

blackcherryxj said:
I once called my central 12 times before an answer. That was an interesting firestorm that I started there between the admins. :)

Hmm, sounds strikingly familiar. Usually happens when calling out a traffic stop, at which point we continue calling out the stop and wait for another unit to acknowledge. It's usually accompanied with a "hey, here's where I'm at in case the SHTF."

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.