What not to do at a FD Function

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Well I came across this video on YouTube and I can not believe this has happened. If these guys were true knowledgeable firefighters then they would have warn or even had the full PPE. I am a firm believer on taken your PPE to every FD Function whether it be a Parade, field day, stand by, etc. I hope these guys have gotten chewed out for not wearing there PPE while putting out this car fire. Now I am not trying to bash on the video but I would like to see what others thing of this video. Me personally if I was still a line officer these guys would have gotten an automatic suspension until met in front of the executive board.

medic6414

Oct 9, 2010
USA, MN
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Two male firefighters adorned in bright dresses rushed to battle an engine fire Saturday during the Padua Parade in central Minnesota.

John Egan, the Sauk Centre Fire Chief, said the firefighters in drag were members of the Sedan Fire Department. They were participating in the parade when a truck engine caught fire nearby.

Egan said the fire spread to another truck and that the firefighters ran to put it out. Video of the battle shows the men adjusting their dresses as they aim a fire hose

got to love MN!!!!

smsales

May 21, 2010
West Michigan
kadetklapp said:
Vollies in women's clothes........

Why am I not surprised?

not all vollies are like this.. if you think they are, your sadly mistaken..

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I saw that video and immediately thought of what would cross a tourists mind that had no idea what was going on if they were driving down a highway and seeing these guys in dresses fighting a fire..

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Well it said in the videos description that they were at a Parade and the nearest Mutual Aid department was covering the area was 15 miles away. If that were the case then they don't know how to plan a parade properly, plus I would imagine that there would be someone else in the parade that would have PPE. IDK I do see the hilarity of the guy putting the fire out, but maybe its just the safety in me that sees a serious issue over the hilarity.

That looks funny has hell! :crackup: But on the serious side, where the hell is the PPE? When we do the parade stuff we make sure everyone brings their bags with them.

And please, lets not turn this into a LEO vs. FF thing; the name calling is uncalled for. :nono:

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
PPE aside did those gentlemen ever think the polyester dresses they were wearing might melt? that would suck tho it was funny to see the one guy hike up his dress to run. lol if im in the district I have ppe with me most of the time and definitely on the engine no matter what anything is possible. And no not all vollies are like that, thats messed up dude even for a cop..

ff_coddington

Oct 29, 2010
smithfield,pa
dusty said:
What gets me isn't the attire, as much as it is the 19 psi they're pushing with that pump. :crazy:

i thought the water pressure looked funny i guess the hose went limp after being handled by these two drag queens.

P.S. Congrats guys on making Home page of yahoo now i have to wear a dress on my next vehicle fire LMAO.

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
I did not post this , because they are fellow minnesotans, I suppose they could of waited to put on PPE, they were in the parade, sometimes in these small towns that have 1,1, and 1 (one engine, one tanker/tender. and a first responder/light rescue,grass rig) they may only have a couple of firefighters that aren't at the beer tent for the festival, the department covering their station is 5-10 minutes out, they figured they would make the fast knockdown from a distance..... but now they have to live with the internet fame (infamy) for a while.

Clarence

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
Yeah, they screwed up. They got caught with their pants (dresses?) down, no PPE on the truck, and were faced with a multi car fire. What should they have done, let it burn?

Take your licks, learn from your mistakes, move on. Everyone is so eager to dish out punishment in these days of zero tolerance. I like to call it 'leadership via suspension'---a complete cop-out. Did learning occur? If so, PRESS!

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
dusty said:
After 14 years, I all of a sudden can't do the job, because I'm sick of shit talking report writers. Makes total sense.

You're right, perhaps it's time for you to retire. Really wish I could have seen ypur deleted comments! I'll bet they were a peach!

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
so they screwed up everybody makes mistakes...as long as no one got hurt thats all that matters..yes imo its funy as hell but the point is they got the job done buy puttin the fire out.....

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Nowhere, have I seen it confirmed that these two guys were with that particular piece of apparatus or department that the truck belongs to. Did anyone stop to think, maybe they were in the parade on their own, and the only member from the department which the truck belongs to is operating the truck/pump? Is it not possible they jumped in to help because there were not other firefighters there? They got the job done, fairly safely. They were not close enough to melt the dresses, they were out of the smoke, not in front of the bumpers and obviously not aggressively advancing on the burning vehicles. Sometimes you have to do what has to be done. I know I would stop and help another dept out if there was only one person on the truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.