What's the worst lightbar made by a well-known company? (FedSig, Code 3, Whelen)

richmaster

Sep 20, 2010
Northeast PA

towmedic

May 31, 2010
Montague, Prince Edward
Not a big fan Advantedge. The plastic slide in trays that the rotators mount on result in a lot of rotator vibration. We have one one our heavy wrecker and the rotators went to crap, so I gutted it and replaced it with strobe heads.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Not in any specific order-

Code 3 Excalbur

FS Vista

MX7000 strobe

Whelen Val-U-Bar

Code 3 Intensity

Whelen Fasstcrapps

Code 3 code 360* thing

Aero-Dynic (Tow version only!)

And I'm sure there are others...

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
fedsig7 said:
I think Code 3 XL's are horrible.

bfd740 said:
We have them on our engines and they kick ass, although I think the mechanic changed the rotators.

I think the halogen Code 3 XL's are the 2nd brightest rotators after Streethawks. The old style Code 3 XL with sealed beams was a dog.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Looks wise I agree with that stealth fighter mini bar, but those things kick out a decent flash. The brick shaped version is a bit more pleasing to the eye. To my knowledge they only came in clear domes too.

towmanjax

Dec 1, 2010
Jacksonville, Fl
lotsofbars said:
I was just thinking about this the other day when I saw a Federal Signal Jetstream on a wrecker. They're simply bad. Crappy output, little off-axis lighting, all of the things I don't like about a lightbar… in a lightbar. So my vote goes out to all halogen Jetsonic/Jetstream lightbars from Federal signal.

With that being said, I know there are more crappy bars (new and old) out there.

So what's your least-favorite major brand lightbar? Why? Discuss.

Any lightbar you see on a wrecker, even the new LED bars are made with the economy style led and not properly designed for proper warning protection, but to answer the actual question; The "Areo-dinosaur" gets my vote, especially the wrecker version, but in second place is the "jetstream led."

My wrecker has a slightly modified (by me) 60 inch Jet Strobe with 6 rear facing, 4 front facing, and 1 each cheap china made fed sig leds to side, just for a little added protection I have 2 red whelen tir 3's rear facing.

FL DOT has started changing out the Whelen strobe lightbars on their pickups to the new LFL Amber super led this year and they are by far the brightest out there.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
kadetklapp said:
Code 3 Excalbur
How so?

Mine is insanely bright (Arguably too bright), but it does what it needs to. It outperforms our MX7000s and 2100s in red/blue output, off-axis output, directional arrow visibility, take down light output, and alley light output. The only downside is its size compared to the 2100, but it's smaller than the MX. It draws a lot less current than the MX, though about 3 times as much as the 2100 (Which is still very little).

Overall, for its time it was a good bar. Nowadays I'd rather have the 2100 though.

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/AaronZ34/Pictures/Lightbar.jpg

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
John Smith said:
How so?

Mine is insanely bright (Arguably too bright), but it does what it needs to. It outperforms our MX7000s and 2100s in red/blue output, off-axis output, directional arrow visibility, take down light output, and alley light output. The only downside is its size compared to the 2100, but it's smaller than the MX. It draws a lot less current than the MX, though about 3 times as much as the 2100 (Which is still very little).

Overall, for its time it was a good bar. Nowadays I'd rather have the 2100 though.

[Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/AaronZ34/Pictures/Lightbar.jpg

I'd say the exact opposite. The Excalibur on my squad car is a dull piece of garbage. It sucks amps, has minimal light output (the halogen flashers are a joke), alleys and take-downs are useless. I love the MX-7000....for what it is, which in today's world means a lightbar more suitable for a large vehicle that emits a lot of voltage from it's alternator. The Excalibur is the perfect example of a solution in search of a problem. It can't do anything that the MX-7000 already did (and did a better job of it) and I think it looks disproportionate on just about every vehicle (IMO).

FYI, amp draw was only marginally more on my MX-7000 "all-light" with arrowstick compared to my squad car's POS Excrapular without an arrowstick.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
kadetklapp said:
I'd say the exact opposite. The Excalibur on my squad car is a dull piece of garbage. It sucks amps, has minimal light output (the halogen flashers are a joke), alleys and take-downs are useless. I love the MX-7000....for what it is, which in today's world means a lightbar more suitable for a large vehicle that emits a lot of voltage from it's alternator. The Excalibur is the perfect example of a solution in search of a problem. It can't do anything that the MX-7000 already did (and did a better job of it) and I think it looks disproportionate on just about every vehicle (IMO).

FYI, amp draw was only marginally more on my MX-7000 "all-light" with arrowstick compared to my squad car's POS Excrapular without an arrowstick.

So it's not the Excalibur, it's the light package you have in it. Because while most MX7000s were outfitted the same way, it seems every single Excalibur was different. Yours probably has the alley sweeps on the bottom half right? Mine use the larger, H1 I think, bulb in the top half. It's basically a MX7000 rotator, except it does 120* intersection sweeps, alleys, and takedown. So plenty bright. And because all of the red/blue/amber lights are LEDs, the current draw is really low. When I click it to position 3, it kicks on all 4 halogens (Outer 2 do an intersection sweep, inner two wig-wag), and the top half LEDs, and I notice the current draw then, as the headlights dim for a second. But it's still far less than the MX. That's the problem we have with the MX, the cars equipped with them need an alternator every 2 years.

Proportionately, it looks better than the huge MX, mine draws much less current, is much brighter, etc. Halogen for halogen, I agree with you. But when the Excalibur is packed with state of the art LEDs, it's a whole different bar.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Well if we are talking about LEDs, that's a different story. AFAIK the Excalibur was not offered fully populated with LEDs. Custom work is not what we are talking about here.

I still believe, and always will, that the Excalibur was a solution in search of a problem.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
yeah our firetrucks have the exaliburs and they are so weak in the Hot Texas sun its funny.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
kadetklapp said:
Well if we are talking about LEDs, that's a different story. AFAIK the Excalibur was not offered fully populated with LEDs. Custom work is not what we are talking about here.

I still believe, and always will, that the Excalibur was a solution in search of a problem.

I'm not sure what to say, because it's fully populated with LEDs, and a department our size, we don't exactly custom build light bars, and we've got 3 of them, all identical. I think it came straight from Code 3. We went through a period when LED bars were first coming out, we were looking to replace our MX7000s. So we tested a number of different light bars, and these were some of them. They weren't fully ordered as we went with the 2100s, but I'm pretty sure these are right from Code 3.

In halogen or strobe form, I agree with you. But in LED, the light bar is excellent. However, for what we need, the 2100 is better.

FedSigFan

May 21, 2010
DFW
What about the SVP Impulse halogen/strobe bar? I've had a few of those cross my workbench and, wow, the factory parts, wiring, and setup looked like a 5th grader's science project gone wrong.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I have another bar to add, the 911EP Galaxy.

I am a huge fan of 911EP, love their light sticks, but the lightbars suck. The finish peels off in flakes off the top, the modules burn up, the power supplies burn up, and they look funny.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Respondcode3 said:
Star sabre bar.........garbage

Can't vouch for the rotator version - being so slim it couldn't be all that great - but the strobe version holds its own just as well as a Whelen Edge.

topflight

May 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
nerdly_dood said:
Can't vouch for the rotator version - being so slim it couldn't be all that great - but the strobe version holds its own just as well as a Whelen Edge.

I have the rotator version and it is plenty bright, I had it mounted and used it and loved it far better then my Excalibur. The only reason I took it off was because I made an interior Pimp Pod lightbar for the front and back. The takedowns and allies are very bright IMO as well.

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
I would have to say every brand has a handful of poorly designed bars.

I never liked (even though I've had owned some and still own some)

Smith & Wesson (bad rotators)

Vista Strobe (older tubes failed alot)

Jetsonic (speaker section has alot of wind noise, and the sync rotators were dim)

Jet stream (rotator gears stripping the teeth off)

Raydian (Super heavy)

Code 3 XL (Oversized shape)

Aerodynic (any version with par 36's on the end)

Yankee bar (rotation parts inside the par 36 holders always breaking)

Code 3 2100, (Patterns and MR 11 blubs)

Code 3 Intensity, (Water leaking inside, filters brittle)

Federal Legend (even without over tightening, bar bends in the middle and you have to send out a whole side for repair)

AdvantaEdge (for the large shape it seems like most parts barely fit like in the center section)

Fasttraxx ( double face tape not the best idea)

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Vista Strobe... My FD is running an all red bar on our Suburban, It's probably the weakest bar in the fleet. The brightest lights on it are the takedowns and the intersection strobes. :hissyfit: I added a LED pod in the empty lower center section and it drowns out all of the upper strobes. :duh: We have a Force 4 XL on our second out engine that is brighter than that damn vista. :p

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Although it's not an American manufacturer, I have to add this: PINTSCH BAMAG: TOP - 2

It's one of those ideas that's great in theory, and definitely practical. However, it is an ugly SOB. That being said, I still want one!

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Newberry13 said:
Although it's not an American manufacturer, I have to add this: PINTSCH BAMAG: TOP - 2
It's one of those ideas that's great in theory, and definitely practical. However, it is an ugly SOB. That being said, I still want one!
Yup, they're horrifically ugly.

awww.polizeiautos.de_pics_nds_mw_golfvariant_vo1.jpg

Reactions: Skippy

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
EL1998P71 said:
I would have to say every brand has a handful of poorly designed bars.

I never liked (even though I've had owned some and still own some)

Smith & Wesson (bad rotators)

Vista Strobe (older tubes failed alot)

Jetsonic (speaker section has alot of wind noise, and the sync rotators were dim)

Jet stream (rotator gears stripping the teeth off)

Raydian (Super heavy)

Code 3 XL (Oversized shape)

Aerodynic (any version with par 36's on the end)

Yankee bar (rotation parts inside the par 36 holders always breaking)

Code 3 2100, (Patterns and MR 11 blubs)

Code 3 Intensity, (Water leaking inside, filters brittle)

Federal Legend (even without over tightening, bar bends in the middle and you have to send out a whole side for repair)

AdvantaEdge (for the large shape it seems like most parts barely fit like in the center section)

Fasttraxx ( double face tape not the best idea)

I'm glad someone finally pointed out this gem...

Locally this bar has replaced a couple major city PD fleets that were running Smart Vectors for most of the last decade. The lack of sync'd patterns combined with the joke of MR11s for TDs and Alleys make it a shoe in for this list.

The best example is the "demo" car the county SO setup... LEDX modules for the corners, MR11 alleys, pair of LEDX modules to the front, MR11 TDs in the center and LC Gen1-ish style modules to the rear for an Arrow Stik... Basically invisible when turned on during the day and looked like it was shorting out at night with all of the out of sync dark time...

cory y

May 21, 2010
STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:
I'm glad someone finally pointed out this gem...

Locally this bar has replaced a couple major city PD fleets that were running Smart Vectors for most of the last decade. The lack of sync'd patterns combined with the joke of MR11s for TDs and Alleys make it a shoe in for this list.

The best example is the "demo" car the county SO setup... LEDX modules for the corners, MR11 alleys, pair of LEDX modules to the front, MR11 TDs in the center and LC Gen1-ish style modules to the rear for an Arrow Stik... Basically invisible when turned on during the day and looked like it was shorting out at night with all of the out of sync dark time...

the only way a 2100 was decent was if every single module was set to single flash so there was no downtime

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
cory y said:
the only way a 2100 was decent was if every single module was set to single flash so there was no downtime

The SO to the north of us went with a "very" basic setup of Optix6 corners and outboards... Lots of dark time when setup on the cycle flash pattern.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:
The SO to the north of us went with a "very" basic setup of Optix6 corners and outboards... Lots of dark time when setup on the cycle flash pattern.

Local School PD has a ford F-150 with this bar its a very basic bar has the four corners Optix6 then has a few leds in the TIR type leds in the center and in the back i think it has either LEDX or some sort of LCD leds im not really sure all i know is the thing looks like crap since its all on random flash. That is the only form of lighting it has besides a HLF

Santa Rosa PD 002.jpg

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
The worst lightbar we ever had here was a strobehawk. We had to repair them all the time.

Dpenhaul

Oct 19, 2011
New York City, New York
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
As far as design goes I am going with the streethawk. Theres so much wasted space. I also didn't like the whelen lightbars that were put on the back of the FDNY Batalion trucks. The ones that you could flip each one side vertical, and it has stop lights in it and stuff.

whelen never had one on fire chief trucks in fdny....the one u talking about was a mcdermot higriser

Dpenhaul

Oct 19, 2011
New York City, New York
although aerodynic was popular it was teh worst for many reaasons.

The one with the flashers on teh end and 6 rotator reflectors lapd models.

Lights could not be seen from side intersection views because side flood lights and flashers were blocking.

And that is why lapd decieded to put aftermarket side grote flood lights hanging from the roof brackets .

It was basically a bar that only was really benefical from front and rear NOT side.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
JETSTREAM LED is pretty terrible for a LED bar :hopeless:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.