Whelen LED Chevron Striping......WITH VIDEO

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
ff168577 said:
Horton had this set up on Display at the Harrisburg Show.

If those are the same lights that Horton puts along the running boards and inside doors... I've never seen a truck where they were all 100% functional. Always some segments that don't light.

Also, I've found they only shine light on the Y axis... not sure how they would work on an angle like that.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Our new ambulance has been ordered with Whelen lighted striping, dual rumblers, and enough lights to give someone a siezure...

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
I shot this video today of Horton's ambo with the chevron LEDs. I'm sticking with them as a non-option. High grade reflective material should work just as well.

That being said, accept my apologies for the vertical video. It's long enough to give you an idea of the various flash patterns that it cycles through.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Fwiw, you can edit the video inside youtube to rotate it.

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
I might be being nit-picky here b/c well over half of the motoring public has no idea that chevrons actually mean "pass me on this side," (just ask someone which way to drive around a set of barricades without the "keep left" or "keep right" signs, provided they have been set up correctly) but that is what they mean, so the huge reflective chevrons on the back of an apparatus are intended to say "hey, you, drive to the left or the right of me, but for the love don't keep going straight." Particularly at night, from a distance. Those strip lights from a distance at night will look like two globs of amber and red, blending with the rest of the lighting on the rig. Costing and regulations aside, the purpose of the chevrons is defeated.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Give me a traffic advisor over that mess any day. At least with a TA, I have a 50/50 shot that they will go around on the side I want them to. I'm not sure what message those chevron lights are communicating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr911

Jun 2, 2010
Northeastern Pennsylvania
:hopeless:Well, it certainly is reassuring to see that creative thinking still abounds (insert sarcastic snicker here)...but the mere idea of "lighted chevrons" is yet another perfect example of organizations with individuals that have more funds than brains. I agree with the above posts that it completely complicates the entire vehicle from the rear. Although, it would be worth looking at the electro-luminesicent striping.

It may be just me, but I think we are getting too "overkill" happy with some of these new pieces of apparatus and the amount of lighting we install on them. Give me a nice well-spece'd light package with an aggressively enforced safety policy anyday over what we have seen here...just my .02 for what it's worth

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
Shawn L said:
the idea of the reflective stripping is that its always there and always "ON" novel idea but they dont meet the requirements with the lights.

The man is right ,

Those will not meet the new NFPA requirements.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Dumb idea!

And whats with the "face" on the rear of that Horton?..lol I would have thought the 2 windows on the door were enough.

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
Friend of mine linked me to this video, Fredonia FD apparently got a new ambulance, with these LED Strips in the rear chevrons.

Does anyone know of any other departments that've done this? It's an interesting idea.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I think someone posted pics/video of that unit on here a while back. Or one similiar to it anyway.

I personally dont like the flash pattern on the strip lights. Way too busy and probably confusing to approaching cars.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
The flash pattern could use some improvement (needs to be a nice slow alternating, color-on-color). And those lopsided top lights need some help as well. However, I like the idea... should be very effective at distance.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.