Whelen LED Chevron Striping......WITH VIDEO

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
EDIT: Some more information and now the video !

So I am at an EVOC class today and the department that is hosting it is Anti-Chevron Striping... they like the therory but hate duel reflective colors...stating that duel reflective colors are to "busy" and distracting.

So they decided to use LEDs to make a Chevron in Amber / Red with Whelen Strip-Lites...

Flash pattern is a slow 1.9 fpm plan alternating from Amber to Red... The leds come on when the breaks are applied and also applied when the truck is placed into "park" (as we all know it goes into Nutural and air breaks are applied)

As far as some comments from here because the LEDs are not always on...I've never experanced or heard of a Fire Truck / Ambulance being rear ended while the apparattus was going down the road itself...

Here are some pics. NEW VIDEO UPLOADED !

TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN...THE TRUCK AND THE 2 WEEK OLD EMT ARE ANNOYING

20120310110251.jpg

20120310081501.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
ark_firefighter said:
So I am at an EVOC class today and the department that is hosting it is Anti-Chevron Striping... they like the therory but hate duel reflective colors...

So they decided to use LEDs to make a Chevron in Amber / Red with Whelen Strip-Lites...

Hate dual color stripes but like dual color LED's? Interesting.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Hmm...not sure that I understand their logic here. With chevrons, you are always seen even without warning lights on. I highly doubt that they will always have those on... :bonk:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
ark_firefighter said:
They have it set up that anytime the engine is on and the truck is in Neutral ...the air breaks once applied the LEDs turn on ... so basicly if the motor is running and its parked the LEDs are a blinkin'

:undecided: Interesting concept...I look forward to the video

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
the idea of the reflective stripping is that its always there and always "ON" novel idea but they dont meet the requirements with the lights.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Hmm. Is this... :undecided: ...innovation? Something actually new?

I'd have them on a dim steady burn, kinda cruise light function if I was doing it.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
nerdly_dood said:
Hmm. Is this... :undecided: ...innovation? Something actually new?

I'd have them on a dim steady burn, kinda cruise light function if I was doing it.

That is what I was thinking to. It would probably be more effective that way.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Why did you capitalize "Anti Chevron Striping"? I thought it was an actual campaign or company. I actually googled it. hahaha

I don't like it.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
hmmmm............ This is another idea that I like in theory..... at low power steady burn in conjunction with actual reflective chevrons it might work...

it seems like over complicating an idea that was meant to be passive/simple.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
I must say, I *really* appreciate "innovative" and "out of the box" thinking like this!

However, I also think there is something to be said about mixing "active" warning (flashies and blinkies) with "passive" warning (reflective striping, etc)

I'd be really interested in hearing why they are anti-striping. I know one of the local FDs here have me a wrath of crap for cevroning the hell out of my ambulance... but only because it "wasn't traditional"... and argument I didn't allow to sway my decision in the end.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
tsquale said:
Chevrons typically arent either. :bonk:

That is why many departments have them installed on the interior of the doors as well.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I guess I just don't see this as a replacement for chevrons..... it's an interesting idea.... juts not a chevron alternative....

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
calebsheltonmed23 said:
It's a good idea, but like others have said...chevrons are always "on". I do like the innovative thinking though!
code60a said:
Can't say I'm really a fan of it. I think it would look tacky when off, and would simply be too much when on.

Think about surface area as well. Those tiny strips are NOTHING in comparison with the 50-90% coverage of 'tradtional' Chevrons... :undecided:

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
calebsheltonmed23 said:
It's a good idea, but like others have said...chevrons are always "on". I do like the innovative thinking though!
Yep, less goes wrong with them. They also give an outline of the vehicle.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
I guess they look neat when on...but now that I see the install pictures I suddenly have the urge to vomit.

I like the graphic chevrons; perhaps add these lights on top of a few of the real chevrons?

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Nope. Still don't like it. Intriguing concept nonetheless but back to the drawing board if they are trying to replace chevron decals.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Hoser said:
Doesn't hold a candle to the chevrons.

Candles! Hmmm, now that's an intriguing idea. :undecided:

parr555

Jan 31, 2011
michigan
jprleedy4680 said:
I guess they look neat when on...but now that I see the install pictures I suddenly have the urge to vomit.

I like the graphic chevrons; perhaps add these lights on top of a few of the real chevrons?

agreed:thumbsup:

LawMan902

Mar 29, 2011
FL, USA
Seeing this kinda got me to thinking, how about something electroluminescent. Kinda like those light up graphics on the police car that were discussed here a while back... EL chevrons operated via a photocell somehow would be pretty cool... and functional day and night...

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
Why did they try and mimic chevrons? Having them on an angle like that doesn't increase their effectiveness. J.Q. Public isn't going to associate that with a hazard strip.

What did that cost to install? Product cost alone is over $1000 if the strip lights were purchased at online prices. Then labor to have it installed. Holy crap this was probably an expensive venture.

And automatic on/auto off, no user control? Hell no. There is no way I could tolerate those lights on a non-emergent call while onscene pulling/loading the stretcher.

Does this service believe in traffic vests, or are those too distracting as well? A more effective setup would have been to skin the back of the ambulance with a one color reflective surface if they don't like stripes.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
bigcat said:
Why did they try and mimic chevrons? Having them on an angle like that doesn't increase their effectiveness. J.Q. Public isn't going to associate that with a hazard strip.

What did that cost to install? Product cost alone is over $1000 if the strip lights were purchased at online prices. Then labor to have it installed. Holy crap this was probably an expensive venture.

And automatic on/auto off, no user control? Hell no. There is no way I could tolerate those lights on a non-emergent call while onscene pulling/loading the stretcher.

Does this service believe in traffic vests, or are those too distracting as well? A more effective setup would have been to skin the back of the ambulance with a one color reflective surface if they don't like stripes.

good point... they are mimicking something they claim to not want....

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I personally think this is overkill in the most terrible way. Reflective chevrons would probably have been much cheaper and easier. Not to mention less overdone-looking.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Am I the only one that noticed that the middle amber on the drivers side is not set to steady burn like the rest of the fixtures? They are being flashed with an external flasher, so they are set to steady burn so they flash properly. All except for that one middle light ohn the drivers side.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Outsider said:
Am I the only one that noticed that the middle amber on the drivers side is not set to steady burn like the rest of the fixtures? They are being flashed with an external flasher, so they are set to steady burn so they flash properly. All except for that one middle light ohn the drivers side.

Someone mentioned it a few posts up....

BlueLineEnt

May 23, 2010
Danvers, MA
If they don't want to see them when not needed, maybe they should consider something like the stealth graphics the cruisers use. The ambulance provider for my town uses white on white, so you only see them when they're needed; at night, for reflective purposes.

You can see them on the ambulance on the right a little bit, but the left is how I see them in traffic unless they are hit with lights. Its very un-noticeable until they get lit up by headlights. There is also long horizontal reflective stripes on the top and bottom sides of the non-reflective red stripe. That is a little visible on the right ambu as well.

Lyons.JPG

BlueLineEnt

May 23, 2010
Danvers, MA

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
BlueLineEnt said:
The new NFPA 1901 specifies it must be 50% of the rear surface area of the apparatus, and it must be red & yellow, 45 degrees, center out to the bottom, with 6" stripes. I don't think it applies, as in this case, to private ambulance companies.

Source:

Highlights of the New NFPA 1901 | The requirements in the next edition of NFPA 1901 Standard for Automotive Apparatus take effect for apparatus ordered on or after January 1, 2009 | Oct 2008

6" seems too narrow for my taste... I prefer an 8" or even 10" stripe if it's covering a large area.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.