Whelen LFL question.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
A 2006 Whelen LFL bar:

Although there is the standard 16 or 17 wire operation cable, all of the leds change pattern pattern with the pattern control wire whether they are in operation at the time of the change or not. I have newer bars that you can set every individual pairs of LED's to seperate patterns.

Is this just the way the earlier bars are or is there another method? By the way, it is a passive bar.

Also no flashing alleys or takedowns. On or Off.

Halogen version.

It sounds to me like the bar is in sync mode. You can't change the pattern on a single set of modules when the bar is in sync mode, it will change them all. There is a 3-pin connector on the top right side of the I/O board... two wires are for the TA, and the third will put the bar in sync mode when power is applied to it.

I could be wrong, but that would be the first thing I would check.

Jman423 said:
It sounds to me like the bar is in sync mode. You can't change the pattern on a single set of modules when the bar is in sync mode, it will change them all. There is a 3-pin connector on the top right side of the I/O board... two wires are for the TA, and the third will put the bar in sync mode when power is applied to it.

I could be wrong, but that would be the first thing I would check.

So just disconnect the 3rd wire?

To change the pattern on a pair of modules power up only the wire corresponding to that pair of modules and then apply momentary power to the scan-lock wire to change the pattern of the modules powered. Hope this helps.

Jeff @ EVS

EmerVehSolutions said:
To change the pattern on a pair of modules power up only the wire corresponding to that pair of modules and then apply momentary power to the scan-lock wire to change the pattern of the modules powered. Hope this helps.

Jeff @ EVS

I have done that on several Liberty's, but to no avail on this Patriot. After several attempts, I finally called Whelen's tech line. Not sure if it was due to the age, 2006 model, or a Patriot issue, but they ultimately said on that bar, all LED's would change with the pattern change - not capable of independent patterns.

The flashing takedowns and alleys just did not have the wires connected to the J plug on the circuit board.

Thanks for the responses and ideas though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381