Whelen LFL question.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
A 2006 Whelen LFL bar:

Although there is the standard 16 or 17 wire operation cable, all of the leds change pattern pattern with the pattern control wire whether they are in operation at the time of the change or not. I have newer bars that you can set every individual pairs of LED's to seperate patterns.

Is this just the way the earlier bars are or is there another method? By the way, it is a passive bar.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Also no flashing alleys or takedowns. On or Off.

Halogen version.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
It sounds to me like the bar is in sync mode. You can't change the pattern on a single set of modules when the bar is in sync mode, it will change them all. There is a 3-pin connector on the top right side of the I/O board... two wires are for the TA, and the third will put the bar in sync mode when power is applied to it.

I could be wrong, but that would be the first thing I would check.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Jman423 said:
It sounds to me like the bar is in sync mode. You can't change the pattern on a single set of modules when the bar is in sync mode, it will change them all. There is a 3-pin connector on the top right side of the I/O board... two wires are for the TA, and the third will put the bar in sync mode when power is applied to it.

I could be wrong, but that would be the first thing I would check.

So just disconnect the 3rd wire?

May 24, 2010
East Longmeadow, MA
To change the pattern on a pair of modules power up only the wire corresponding to that pair of modules and then apply momentary power to the scan-lock wire to change the pattern of the modules powered. Hope this helps.

Jeff @ EVS

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
EmerVehSolutions said:
To change the pattern on a pair of modules power up only the wire corresponding to that pair of modules and then apply momentary power to the scan-lock wire to change the pattern of the modules powered. Hope this helps.

Jeff @ EVS

I have done that on several Liberty's, but to no avail on this Patriot. After several attempts, I finally called Whelen's tech line. Not sure if it was due to the age, 2006 model, or a Patriot issue, but they ultimately said on that bar, all LED's would change with the pattern change - not capable of independent patterns.

The flashing takedowns and alleys just did not have the wires connected to the J plug on the circuit board.

Thanks for the responses and ideas though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.