Whelen ROTA-BEAM Family History

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
stansdds said:
Federal's 174 oscillated 95 degrees, Whelen's oscillated 205 degrees. It's a big difference between the two!

Whelen's is based off of an oscillating anti-collision light they made for airplanes..... it too had a wide travel distance when it oscillated.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6301728.jpg S6301729.jpg This is the only one like this, that I've ever seen.

120 volt Hose-McCann Telephone Co.,Inc Watertight Rotating Beacon, With WHELEN ROTA-BEAM RB11 internals.

S6301728.jpg

S6301729.jpg

Last edited:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Dan: Does Whelen still have parts available for the RB11s, etc.? I'd like to put a clear dome with the colored lenses (like some of the old Juniors) on mine. Are all these lights still in your collection, or some that you've just photographed over the years? I'd love to have that old Trippe Hi-Ball!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Skip,

All of these ROTA-BEAMs are still in my collection.

I have a Trippe Hi-ball for sale with amber, red, and blue domes.

Whelen has no more parts for the OLD ROTA-BEAM series lights. Good luck finding a clear dome.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
These lights have been altered to accept "cruise light" sockets and bulbs inside the top of the domes.
The original factory raised lens cage mounting plate has been replaced with a flat sheet metal mounting plate, alowing the lens cage to sit lower under the dome, making room for a replacement bulb socket assembly with a cruise light bulb sticking out towards the top of the dome.
Pictured here are 2 or 3 slightly different versions of this bulb socket assembly change,( pictures 4 and 5 are different from the first 3 ), so I am not sure if the cruise light add on was done by Whelen as a special modification for Hawaii, or if the modifications were done by the departments themselves. Because the alterations are not uniform, I tend toward the latter.
All of the Hawaii version ROTA-BEAM MODEL 22,44, or 55 lights, that I have seen, used either the older, or the newer version of Whelen's Quick Disconnect mounting system. See the post, in this thread, titled ROTA-BEAM Mounting Options, for pictures of these quick disconnect mounting systems. The problem with the cruise light, and the quick disconnect (QD) mount is that the QD nipples had only one pole, and grounded through the body of the nipple. This does not leave an electrical connection for the cruise light to operate seperately from the rotator, and on the above lights.
I found some pics of a QD nipple , from another member, that has a QD nipple and plate that has 2 poles. This QD mount would allow seperate control of the rotator and the cruise light.

IMAGE_314.jpg

IMAGE_315.jpg

IMAGE_316.jpg

IMAGE_320.jpg

IMAGE_321.jpg

mcgarrett.jpg

cheetah.jpg

GMRB.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAGE_318.jpg

S6301042.jpg

S6301043.jpg

hpdrb2.jpg

HPDRB1.jpg

HPDBeretania.jpg

S6303020.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6306068.JPG S6306069.JPG Back in the 1960s and 1970s, before they started using lightbars, The Connecticut State Police/CSP used RED magnetic mounted portable DEPUTYs, and CORPORALs, (especially since manufactured in Connecticut), along with Federal Vitalites, and Fire Balls as their primary emergency lights.

Below is one of the DEPUTYs, etched with CSP and the trooper's badge number.

Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dmathieu said:
According to a 1966 Whelen Rota Beam brochure that I have, the Oscillating Commander light was called the RB - COMMANDER. It was considered part of the Rota Beam family.

I just got a usable clear dome for my oscillating RB-Commander...... pictures and video soon.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Here are my 2 newly refurbished Whelen MODEL 66 ROTA-BEAMs.

Both have glass domes, and newly chromed bases. Both are magnetic mount with cord and plug.

They are different vintages:

The red is an original version, appx. late 1950s - 1960. It has a different lens cage, a different base gasket, and a chrome plated brass base.

The amber is a newer version with a chromed stainless steel base.

S6302484.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Picture of twin ROTA-BEAM Branch Guard mounts mounted on chrome fire truck rear grab bar.

More pictures to come when Refurb is completed and lights added..

2 refurbished Branch Guard Mounts with Near mint MODEL 66 ROTA-BEAMs, with NOS domes, installed. Waiting for rechroming on bar.

$(KGrHqZ,!q!E9eCLOfQDBPcnknFLjw~~60_57.jpg

S6302488.jpg

S6302650.jpg

S6302562.jpg

S6302561.jpg

S6302560.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
More OLD brochures of product line, and CORPORAL.

Pictures of Whelen's first version of their Quick Disconnect mount for ROTA-BEAMs.

First pix I've seen of that quick disconnect in a long time. I've only seen one in actual use. In the small town of Big Lake, TX, the guy who managed Maples Funeral Home had one of these on a '64 Ford wagon that served as his ambulance and removal vehicle. The only way you could tell that it was a portable setup was the cord coming down through the driver's door. Probably had a tiny siren, too, but I never saw it. Oscar Maples, who owned the Big Lake operation and the home office in Kermit, TX, was soooo tight that he squeaked when he walked! :p

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Back in the 1960s and 1970s, before they started using lightbars, The CSP used RED magnetic mounted portable DEPUTYs, and CORPORALs, along with Federal Vitalites, and Fire Balls as their primary emergency lights.
Below is one of the DEPUTYs, etched with CSP and the trooper's badge number.

Nice little Deputy, Dan. I wonder why they etched the lights that way. I would've been afraid of it effecting the resale value.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Probably a theft deterent.

Little did they know that it ,now, probably makes it worth more, knowing the history of the light, especially to a CSP collector or cruiser buff.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Probably a theft deterent.
Little did they know that it ,now, probably makes it worth more, knowing the history of the light, especially to a CSP collector or cruiser buff.

Makes sense, Dan; but you wouldn't think someone would steal something like that. But my old original RB11 (had an inline switch) was stolen right off the dash of the ambulance that I usually drove. Never could prove it, but I always figured it was a young guy we had to let go (and we didn't often get rid of our volunteers. This was an exception). Maybe the original Connnecticut officer will see your post with "his" light.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Found these while cleaning up our storage tunnel (cave) this morning...

Updated, with happier (cleaned) looking lenses...

RBfind.jpg

RB2.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
warubozu47 said:
Found these while cleaning up our storage tunnel (cave) this morning...

Updated, with happier (cleaned) looking lenses...

Nice! I wouldn't mind having the little 66. Who in Hawaii could run red? I thought everything was all-blue there.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Skip Goulet said:
Nice! I wouldn't mind having the little 66. Who in Hawaii could run red? I thought everything was all-blue there.

Sorry, all three have been spoken for. EMS, Fire, Medical Examiners, Emergency Managment, and ocean safety run red or a combo of red/yellow/white.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.