Whelen ROTA-BEAM Family History

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
warubozu47 said:
Sorry, all three have been spoken for. EMS, Fire, Medical Examiners, Emergency Managment, and ocean safety run red or a combo of red/yellow/white.

Interesting! I remember now having seen an old Pontiac ambulance on the original Hawaii-5-0 that had red lights. But I assumed that it was one that had belonged to the studio that produced the show. I'm beginning to like the neat blue LEDs used on the current show, especially on Dan-O's big Camaro.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Skip Goulet said:
Interesting! I remember now having seen an old Pontiac ambulance on the original Hawaii-5-0 that had red lights. But I assumed that it was one that had belonged to the studio that produced the show. I'm beginning to like the neat blue LEDs used on the current show, especially on Dan-O's big Camaro.

Oddly enough, my friend's company did the install for Dannos camaro... There are three of them used in production, not sure how many are outfitted with lights. The "studio" is actually a 2 minute walk from my office...

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
warubozu47 said:
Oddly enough, my friend's company did the install for Dannos camaro... There are three of them used in production, not sure how many are outfitted with lights. The "studio" is actually a 2 minute walk from my office...

I assumed that they used multiple vehicles when taping the show, as I'm sure they're very rough on them. I hate to admit that I envy your close proximity to the show. I'd like to watch a taping, but I've never been to Hawaii. Some day, maybe!

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Skip Goulet said:
I assumed that they used multiple vehicles when taping the show, as I'm sure they're very rough on them. I hate to admit that I envy your close proximity to the show. I'd like to watch a taping, but I've never been to Hawaii. Some day, maybe!

It's pretty cool to be so close, but when they film, traffic results... Guess it's worth it though. If you make it out here, let me know; I'll show ya around.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
warubozu47 said:
It's pretty cool to be so close, but when they film, traffic results... Guess it's worth it though. If you make it out here, let me know; I'll show ya around.

That would be sooo nice, but not apt to happen on what I get from Social Security! My mom always wanted to go to Hawaii but never got to. As I said, someday! BTW, did you get those handheld radios that are in the pic with the Rotabeams?

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Skip Goulet said:
That would be sooo nice, but not apt to happen on what I get from Social Security! My mom always wanted to go to Hawaii but never got to. As I said, someday! BTW, did you get those handheld radios that are in the pic with the Rotabeams?

The handhelds are for work. Yeah, well maybe one of these days you'll make it out here...

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
warubozu47 said:
The handhelds are for work. Yeah, well maybe one of these days you'll make it out here...

Well, that may not be as far-fetched as I think. I never thought I'd ever get to go to California, but managed to do so in 2001 when I went to Professional Car International's first week-long meet. It was nice. So, Hawaii may not be out of the question. But I'm not getting any younger, you know.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Folks,

One of my friends works as a Whelen representative. I asked him if Whelen still has the "mold" for the later style domes (One that is held to the base with a metal clip). He believes that Whelen still has it, and asked me to get a head count as to how many I need and what colors. I need a rough estimate on numbers for him to calculte the cost of pulling the mold, re-tooling the machine, and of course producing the domes. To minimize the chatter on this thread, you may PM me to submit your count.

Once I get a solid answer from him, I'll let you all know how we'll proceed.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Just scored a VERRRRRY rarely seen Model 55 ROTA-BEAM.

It is the same construction as the 22 and 44. Not sure what the difference is, until I see it.

I remember it in a catalog, and it was in production for a very short time.

Pictures to come when recieved.

ROTA-BEAM Models were STANDARD RB11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, CORPORAL, RESPONDER, DEPUTY, SENIOR, SENIOR DEPUTY, CLEAR-RAY FLASHER SFD, FREEZ-ALARM and RB 120 Volt.

COMMANDER Oscillator, 88 Series, and 99 Series were the larger sealed beam models.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
dmathieu said:
Here are my 2 newly refurbished Whelen MODEL 66 ROTA-BEAMs.
Both have glass domes, and newly chromed bases. Both are magnetic mount with cord and plug.

They are different vintages:

The red is an original version, appx. late 1950s - 1960. It has a different lens cage, a different base gasket, and a chrome plated brass base.

The amber is a newer version with a chromed stainless steel base.

Again, looks like a Jr Beacon Ray. With as many different manufacturers that made lights like that, who made em first?? Think they woulda patented it.

How are those comparable to Jrs? Did they make em in 6v?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Captain4164 said:
Again, looks like a Jr Beacon Ray. With as many different manufacturers that made lights like that, who made em first?? Think they woulda patented it.
Whelen ROTA-BEAM was the first with this design, starting back in 1952-1953 as an aircraft light. The RB11 was the first Automotive ROTA-BEAM, coming out in 1954-1955

The quality and brightness are excellent, if focused properly. The SENIOR, SENIOR DEPUTY, 22. 44. 55 are larger, have bigger magnifiers, and are the brightest of the ROTA-BEAMs.

Yes, they came in 6 Volt.

See the picture on page 1 for size comparison.

The Beacon Ray Junior came out in March of 1958.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Captain4164 said:
Yeah, I was reading the thread fully after i posted that. Got a 6v glass dome red close to a Jr size you'd be willing to part with???? :D

Sorry, they only made the smaller MODEL 66 in glass, not that I'd part with it.

I do have some 66s, and RB11s with plastic red domes, but I'll have to keep an eye out for a 6 Volt motor.

These would look great on that truck.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
dmathieu said:
Sorry, they only made the smaller MODEL 66 in glass, not that I'd part with it.
I do have some 66s, and RB11s eith plastic red domes, but I'll have to keep an eye out for a 6 Volt motor.

These would look great on that truck.

Looks a lot like a Jr to me, so, yeah.... But still holding out hope Ill find a 6v Jr motor

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Captain4164 said:

Nick: The Federal Jr. came out in 1958 as the Model 15 (magnetic mount). They eventually made a permanent mount, a demountable style (threaded stud held in place by a wing nut) for hearse/ambulance combinations, and a pipe mount. I seem t remember having seen some RotaBeams that were a bit older. Dan....you'd know more about that!

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
dmathieu said:
Glass, plastic, or both, and up until when, if you know.

the plastic ones i do belive they were made by tri-town plastics. whelen did not get big with in house plastics until new hampshire opened

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
ROTA-BEAM MODEL 55.

This is an extremely rare model ROTA-BEAM, and was marketed for only a short time.

If memory serves me correctly, this came out before, and was replaced by the MODEL 22 SENIOR, and 44 SENIOR DEPUTY.

It is a heavy duty beacon, and is the same size and design as the 22 and 44.

S6302618.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
ROTA-BEAM MODEL 55.
This is an extremely rare model ROTA-BEAM, and was marketed for only a short time.

If memory serves me correctly, this came out before, and was replaced by the MODEL 22 SENIOR, and 44 SENIOR DEPUTY.

It is a heavy duty beacon, and is the same size and design as the 22 and 44.

Very nice, Dan. Haven't seen one of these before, and I thought I knew most of what Whelen manufactured "back in the day". How long as it taken you to amass such a collection? I had a very nice collection of old motor-driven sirens years ago, and had them stored in the back of my old Suburban ambulance that was "down for the count" for the moment. While I was in an extended hospital stay, the truck disappeared along with my collection. The only non-siren was a very old Mars DL8 figure-8 light which was the forerunner to the current 888. Funny thing is that this truck has never turned up anywhere: so I figure it went across the border into Mexico. And here 23 years later I still have the title!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
In 1962 the catalog prices were as follows:

Model 66 magnetic $49.50

CLEAR-RAY Permanent $14.00

SENIOR Permanent $61.50

DEPUTY Magnetic $24.50

Branch Guard Mount $8.00

Eye shield / Hood $1.50

Steel mounting plate for Mag. $1.00

Quick Disconnect add $3.00

Pipe Flange add $3.00

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
In 1962 the catalog prices were as follows:

Model 66 magnetic $49.50

CLEAR-RAY Permanent $14.00

SENIOR Permanent $61.50

DEPUTY Magnetic $24.50

Branch Guard Mount $8.00

Eye shield / Hood $1.50

Steel mounting plate for Mag. $1.00

Quick Disconnect add $3.00

Pipe Flange add $3.00

If they were still making those lights, it'd be nice to have a price reunion! :p

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Interesting little light, Dan. I thought that the guys who built the Full-Vue lights for M-M ambulances and who also built aircraft beacons were the sole source for aircraft lights (Grimes is the co. I'm trying to think of). I wonder how much business Whelen did with these.

My first ever experience with a Rota-Beam was with an RB-11 that had the quick-release feature that had the little attachment that was attached to the car roof and the light "snapped" down over a bushing. There was a button on the side of the light to disconnect. The only one of these I ever saw was on a '62 Ford station wagon ambulance in Big Lake, TX, that belonged to a funeral home. I just happened to see the wagon sitting at our ER one day and stopped to look at the unusually small Rota-Beam. I'd seen Jr. Beacons, but not the Rota-Beams. My first thought was that no one could see that little-bitty light. The owner happened to come out and I asked him how he managed to get thru traffic with just that little light and an underhood siren. He replied that they never had problems. He reached in and turned the light on, and was I ever surprised. Never doubted the little critters ever again!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
What's the value of one of these?

dmathieu said:
Added a Very vintage Whelen First version Aircraft Anti collision light. This was Whelens first entry in the lighting industry in appx. 1953.
This is refurbished, in great shape, and works on 12 Volts DC. The Version 1 RB11 was their variation from this light that was their first entry into the automotive warning light market.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Just a side note:

These Version 1 ROTA-BEAM RB11s are the quietest, smoothest running of all the rotating lights that I have ever operated.

The quality back in those days, ( mid 1950s ), was excellent

S6302547.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Just a side note:
These 2 Version 1 ROTA-BEAM RB11s are the quietest, smoothest running of all the rotating lights that I have ever operated.

The quality back in those days, ( mid 1950s ), was excellent

I can remember when I was just a little kid that the early Federal 17 beacon the local ambulance had was the noisiest thing I ever heard. When I was about 11 I got to go on a run with the owner driving, and that 17 was squealing overhead. I thought something was wrong and told the guy. He said they're were always like that. You could almost hear that thing over the siren!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Here is some research on The first motorcycle light.

Printed in the November 1, 1956 issue of the Joliet Spectator, Joliet, Illinois.

The light Was a Whelen Engineering Co. Version 1 ROTA-BEAM RB11 STANDARD.

$(KGrHqRHJC4E7y9l),,JBO-+GTlOQg~~60_3.jpg

S6302547.jpg

S6302657.jpg

S6302658.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Nice ol' '59. Midland PD had navy blue '59 fords. The came with a single red Model 17 beacon on top and Federal 76B doubletone sirens underhood. Memories!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Here is an old 1954 Chevy with a blue RB10 or RB11 as primary warning, from an old Whelen catalog.

Thanks for digging it up John.

1964 ford stationwagon, ( Cruiser 17, Grafton, Massachusetts PD, Sergeant's POV), with a split blue/red domed ROTA-BEAM RB11 on the dash.

Also note the CJ siren base under the Model 17 Beacon Ray on the town owned cruiser 15.

This picture was at an accident where cruiser 15 was rearended by a DUI after making a traffic stop.

IMG.jpg

scan0043-S.jpg

scan0042-S.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I have a neat book at home that has nothing but hearses and ambulances throughout; and in a couple of places you can see some of the big hearse/ambulance combos with nothing but a small Rota-Beam, and a few with just Junior Beacons. When small funeral homes ran ambulances, "economy" was the word of the day....if not just downright cheap! I saw an ambulance from a small town near here many years ago. It was a '62 Ford wagon that had a demountable RB11 on top and a small siren underhood. Talk about economy! I think I would've been afraid to have had to run "hot" in something like that.

Reactions: Kmac376

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.