Whelen SA315 Make in Taiwan

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Someone else brought this up in another post. Im pretty sure all the major companies have the parts made in Asia, but are assembled here.

Assembled in America instead of Made in America

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Quality driver, used by other speaker manufacturers also. Made by San Ming Sound/Megavox , Taiwan R.O.C,. Was granted U.S. Patent #5,987,148 in 1999. Curiously similar to Atlas Sounds new AS100N driver, exact same weight and dimensions. Was the OEM driver for Whelen's Xecutor speaker introduced around the year 2000.

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
From the FTC website Complying with the Made in USA Standard | BCP Business Center

The Standard For Unqualified Made In USA Claims

What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.

What does "all or virtually all" mean?

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

What substantiation is required for a Made in USA claim?

When a manufacturer or marketer makes an unqualified claim that a product is Made in USA, it should have — and rely on — a "reasonable basis" to support the claim at the time it is made. This means a manufacturer or marketer needs competent and reliable evidence to back up the claim that its product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.

What factors does the Commission consider to determine whether a product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.?

The product’s final assembly or processing must take place in the U.S. The Commission then considers other factors, including how much of the product’s total manufacturing costs can be assigned to U.S. parts and processing, and how far removed any foreign content is from the finished product. In some instances, only a small portion of the total manufacturing costs are attributable to foreign processing, but that processing represents a significant amount of the product’s overall processing. The same could be true for some foreign parts. In these cases, the foreign content (processing or parts) is more than negligible, and, as a result, unqualified claims are inappropriate.

Example: A company produces propane barbecue grills at a plant in Nevada. The product’s major components include the gas valve, burner and aluminum housing, each of which is made in the U.S. The grill’s knobs and tubing are imported from Mexico. An unqualified Made in USA claim is not likely to be deceptive because the knobs and tubing make up a negligible portion of the product’s total manufacturing costs and are insignificant parts of the final product.

Example: A table lamp is assembled in the U.S. from American-made brass, an American-made Tiffany-style lampshade, and an imported base. The base accounts for a small percent of the total cost of making the lamp. An unqualified Made in USA claim is deceptive for two reasons: The base is not far enough removed in the manufacturing process from the finished product to be of little consequence and it is a significant part of the final product.

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
And here along a whelen rep said that all whelen equipment was American made

and put down equipment made in other countrys. See how much you can trust and

believe most reps.

Just saying, check outthe equipment before buying

Jim Rogers

deputychief

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
The question here is, when they say the "product" do they mean the individual item or the whole product line? If the second is the case, then you can get away with it on the speaker since that is just one item out of thousands that they offer.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Sorry, it is an old thread, but to reply to the last few posts, here is what's on the bottom of the Whelen website...

All products proudly designed, manufactured and assembled in the U.S.A. [Broken External Image]:http://www.whelen.com/graphics/icons/flag.gif

Clearly the SA315P is NOT eligible for the "made in america" claim. Note that Whelen cannot claim ignorance on this because they have the FTC letter linked right on their main page... http://www.whelen.com/pb/FederalTradeletter.pdf . It very clearly says...

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be “all or virtually all” made in the U.S.

“All or virtually all” means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no -- or negligible--foreign content.
ONLY Whelen Engineering Complies. Emergency Warning Lights & Sirens"

I'm not sure how they can claim the "Made in America" stuff when the SA315 driver is made in Taiwan. Unless they consider the driver a negligible part of the component. Not only do they claim that everything they make (note "make" and "assemble" are listed as seperate terms on the website) is "made in America" , they also claim that no other vendor is.

If they bought the drivers from FedSig (which are made in the FedSig factory in Chicago), then maybe they COULD claim that they are "made in America", but I guess they're just to big in the head to buy them from fedsig.

It's not like a) the driver isn't a major component of the speaker or B) whelen isn't aware of where it's made. They're just pushing this "made in America" stuff to slam the other vendors.

Wonder where the LEDs that they put in most of their products are manufactured?

Cheers

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
I bet is that the led heads are made in another country just like the assembled here,

Thats why I use mostly the pods as they are made in another country and holds up

good if not better then Whelen or any other maker. I believe Tomar is the only company

that actually makes their own led heads, maybe some can clearify that for me.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I have a Federal PA20A series 2E that has some circuit board components made in Taiwan. I think the use of Asian components began in the 1970s.

May 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Products made in Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, or South Korea seem to be of a vastly higher quality than anything made in China, plus those nations are not building vast naval and air force units to challenge the U.S. That being said, it is outrageous for a company like Whelen to claim U.S. product manufacture when it is not the case, regardless of the legal, congressional inspired definition of U.S. product origin. Whelen, or others like Whelen should have a disclaimer that clearly states that components, or substantial components used are of foreign origin, regardless of where product design and engineering is conducted. I think members of this site should vociferously complain to Whelen that are being intentionally cagy and misleading. I've always been a fan of Whelen since I got my first Rota-Beams and Strobe Commanders in the mid to late 1970ies, but I find their discredited claims to be unacceptable.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Dr. Dennis Stouffer said:
Products made in Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, or South Korea seem to be of a vastly higher quality than anything made in China, plus those nations are not building vast naval and air force units to challenge the U.S. That being said, it is outrageous for a company like Whelen to claim U.S. product manufacture when it is not the case, regardless of the legal, congressional inspired definition of U.S. product origin. Whelen, or others like Whelen should have a disclaimer that clearly states that components, or substantial components used are of foreign origin, regardless of where product design and engineering is conducted. I think members of this site should vociferously complain to Whelen that are being intentionally cagy and misleading. I've always been a fan of Whelen since I got my first Rota-Beams and Strobe Commanders in the mid to late 1970ies, but I find their discredited claims to be unacceptable.

Right on +1

DarkHelmet

Jul 21, 2011
Boise, ID
HPD84 said:

That may be the case. Counterfeit/bootleg copies aren't just for Nike, Apple, and computer software anymore. It is amazing the things that China (and other coutries) will counterfeit. I recently received a warning through my Mountain Rescue channels about counterfeit climbing equipment that was being sold to unsuspecting dealers in the US. The legitimate manufacturer's testing found that most of it had a breaking strength of 80% less than the legitimate stuff. That is downright dangerous... and criminal.

I wouldn't put it past any company to be the victim of counterfeit merchandise anymore.

- DH

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
I would bet that Federal Signals Speaker drivers are sourced from out of the country.

The same for Code3, and Carson sources their's from out of the country. To my knowledge, there is not a US manufacturer that manufacturers a siren speaker driver in the the US. Most, if not all of the above use the same company for their drivers.

It is a nice video though.

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
Is it annoying that they lied? Yes, Is it no longer a reliable and heavy duty speaker? you bet your butt it is.

Even though I'm more likely to buy products actually made in america, What matters to me when it comes to speakers are Efficiency and quality.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Dr. Dennis Stouffer said:
Impressive ad by Federal, and I noticed testing on a compact LED, clear rotating beacon.

It looked like a single pod from a Vision SLR. I wonder if they will start producing those separately.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
The Sanming Electronics/Megavox SD 210R siren driver has been used in Whelen products for at least the last 11 years. This includes the Xecutor speaker, Lo-pro Edge SA 40-41, Lo-pro Advantage edge SA 50-51, Longhorn speaker assembly and the SA 315, there could be others. As I have said before they were issued a U.S. patent back in 1999. Their driver is 1/2 the weight and 1" shorter than the once industry standard older Atlas 100 watt driver and 1 lb. lighter than the Atlas 58 watt driver. I bet that Atlas's current 100 watt driver is made for them by Sanming, looks almost identical and has the exact same dimensions plus Atlas no longer states it is US made and offer no patent number as they did on their original 100 watt driver.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Fire704 said:

How many times are you going to post that picture? This makes three. Care to offer any comments or insight? We get it. FedSig, among others, outsources some of their product line. Welcome to 2011. My problem is when a company wraps themselves in the flag to sell products and is not 100% about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
SlickTop Solutions said:
I would bet that Federal Signals Speaker drivers are sourced from out of the country.

The same for Code3, and Carson sources their's from out of the country. To my knowledge, there is not a US manufacturer that manufacturers a siren speaker driver in the the US. Most, if not all of the above use the same company for their drivers.

It is a nice video though.

You would lose that bet. FedSig makes their own drivers in their factory in Chicago. They used to have a plant in Kentucky or something, but moved that into their Chicago plant some time ago. I believe that they sell the drivers to Code3 and CPI as well, but Whelen imports from Taiwan.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
factorone33 said:

"All printed circuit boards are assembled at Whelen's Chester, Connecticut or Charlestown, New Hampshire facilities." - Hmm, everything else says "made", this says "assembled". Where are the PCBs made then?

"LEDs for "Manufactured in USA" content are produced in North Carolina." - I don't get this. Doesn't this mean "all LEDs" then? Why the "for "manufactured in USA" content" ?

And the best "drink the cool-aid" line; "Why Whelen is the only true manufacturer of emergency warning systems in the U.S"

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
leftcoastmark said:
You would lose that bet. FedSig makes their own drivers in their factory in Chicago. They used to have a plant in Kentucky or something, but moved that into their Chicago plant some time ago. I believe that they sell the drivers to Code3 and CPI as well, but Whelen imports from Taiwan.

Can I have a cite please, for further reference? Not trying to be an ass, but really would like to see the hard information.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
SlickTop Solutions said:
Can I have a cite please, for further reference? Not trying to be an ass, but really would like to see the hard information.

No. I discussed it on the phone with the head engineer for Fire group at FedSig last week. It's not something I just found floating around on the internet. I'm going to be at the factory in a couple months so when I see it with my own eyes I'll let you know.

May 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I think Whelen is skating on thin ice unless they are very forthright by stating that some (or many) LEDs, and speaker drivers, or whatever components are sourced off-shore. The materials may be of excellent quality, the LEDs may be fantastic, and the speaker drivers may blow away the whole world of sirens, but these are not at issue. Deception is the issue. After all, the speaker is a major part of the siren, and LEDs are not after thoughts to critical warning systems.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
ryanm said:
It looked like a single pod from a Vision SLR. I wonder if they will start producing those separately.

Yeah Probably in like 4-6 months and for about $500-$800 ea.

I had a Code-3 LC Narrow stik I took apart about 1 yr ago and the LC Pods had Made in China stickers on them.

But the Light was a Code-3 .

So you tell me USA or China ?

Who knows.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Kevin K. said:
If I want to buy an all-LED lightbar right now and my only requirement is that it's made entirely in the United States, what are my choices?

You don't have one. Almost everyone's LEDs are made offshore somewhere, except CREE LEDs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.