Who said fire trucks had to be red?

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
The old gentleman is conducting a small group of people through the factory tour. He's explaining that there's some ridiculous amount (100?) of different shades of the color red and carries on to the spooled wire rack to demonstrate how E-One's wire is special flameproof insulated and lights a wire to prove it. OOps, wrong spool, it's dripping flaming balls of vinyl and making that weep weep weep sound as each drop fell to the floor. He finally gave up trying to blow it out and a helpful worker came to the rescue with a cup of water from the drinking fountain. E-One shortly after quit the practice of hiring terminated door greeters from wal wart as tour guides and years later I heard nixed all tours period. It was a hoot but you really had to be there to appreciate it. Damned slowcala!

Reactions: Skip Goulet

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
East Brooklyn CT just built a black with black stripe engine I cant find any pictures of it though

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
DLuccia said:
East Brooklyn CT just built a black with black stripe engine I cant find any pictures of it though

DLuccia,

I saw that beast of an engine at FDIC this year. It is a beautiful engine but you practically need High Angle Rescue gear to get into/onto parts of it... Preconnected lines over your head height, hose bed forget about it... But its a beautiful rig...

Dennis

resQyou

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
vonirkinshtine said:
NFPA markings? *pffffft*! Forget "hi-vis" this is "anti-vis"!
awww.capecodfd.com_Pics_20Appar_Pic_20OT_20Army_20TFFT_20062908_200731.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.whfrtc.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/2D37082E-8B24-4336-B6A0-94C45D5DA173/0/HPIM0582.JPG

Ah the TFFT's... (Tactical Fire Fighting Truck I believe is what the acronym stands for) Those are beautiful in their own special way. They have at least two versions a "pumper" version and a "tanker/tender" version. They look very similar to each other but if you look you can tell the difference. This one looks like the pumper.

Dennis

resQyou

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Jarred J. said:
here... use this... fight fire with firepower.

View attachment 52288

We've all heard "Peace, through superior firepower" but this gives a whole new meaning to "Fire supression through superior firepower"

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
The town I grew up in has a blue on white scheme. Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7102_7399257408_9d20dc0e5d_n.jpg

awww.shapirophotography.net_fire_20trucks_Sept_202006_Rancho00013W.jpg

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2660_3919617813_2c6634a1a7.jpg

awww.emergencyrigs.net_users_5C14_5C1280_0003364.jpg

Reactions: 7d9_z28

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Although, I think the safety factor suffers (especially when blocking traffic in the daytime), Engine 192 looks badass...like LAPD SWAT or something lol.

As for the NY/NJ Port Authority engine, what is normal minimum staffing for the truck, or is it unmanned? Are the FF's PAPD officers that are cross-trained in fire or simply firefighters whose sole job is GWB coverage?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Yorktown Heights FD (Yorktown Heights, NY)

Charleston FD (Sprakers, NY)

Mechanicstown FD (Middletown, NY)

Schodack Valley FD (Schodack, NY)

YHFD271.JPG

CHARLESTON210.JPG

MechanicstownFDE122.JPG

SchodakValleyFire (1).JPG

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
I think engine 192 should've had ghost graphics on it I think it would've made it stealthier being black in all, lol. :lol:  . All kidding aside first black fire truck I've seen. Also being black I'm sure the red lights are brighter and easier to see too.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightBars4Sale.com

Dec 9, 2010
Norton Ohio 44203
Where I grew up back home in Pennsylvania north of Pittsburgh there was a dispatch center called Rainbow Control and each Township or Borough had their own color. The township that I lived in was Allegheny Township and the color was orange all of the trucks were orange. The city I am in now Barberton Ohio has a purple front line engine.... School colors

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
I think engine 192 should've had ghost graphics on it I think it would've made it stealthier being black in all, lol. :lol: . All kidding aside first black fire truck I've seen. Also being black I'm sure the red lights are brighter and easier to see too.
There is a dept near me that has a black ladder truck and it has ghost flames.

Too bad 192 is not nfpa compliant with the rear striping.... But it's awesome wish my engine looked like that!

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
The Village of Glendale near Cincinnati has had black trucks for quite awhile. The story was that a wealthy contributor specified the color to get the funds...

image.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Glad to see Harris Twp. Represented!
I really like the orange and white combination on the Type III ambulance in the bottom picture.

As to all these pictures, a lot of the new color combinations and super-nice graphics packages are fun to see.

It took me a very long time to get used to something other than red on a fire truck.  But I ended up in Lubbock, TX in 1968: just about the time they started moving from all-red fire trucks to white.  When I first went to Lubbock you saw ambulances in two colors: either red or white.  My volunteer ambulance company used what we could find, so we had white ambulances, red ambulances, red and white ambulances and one blue one.  Now the Lubbock Co. EMS units have some freaky colors and graphics setups.

The one color that really startled me on an ambulance came from the small town of Lovington, NM.  It was a Type III ambulance painted in a fluorescent lime green. Yechhhh!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Mechanictown def has some nice apparatus, and I'm always a sucker for tandem axle tankers.

BTW, did anybody see good ole Mount Horeb's squad for sale on brindlee? I saw it posted a few weeks back

osufire90

Jun 18, 2012
Ohio
I grew up in the town next to sugarcreek and I must say that the blue fire apparatus does look good. Their medics and brush trucks are white with blue striping to match the engines.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
The old gentleman is conducting a small group of people through the factory tour. He's explaining that there's some ridiculous amount (100?) of different shades of the color red and carries on to the spooled wire rack to demonstrate how E-One's wire is special flameproof insulated and lights a wire to prove it. OOps, wrong spool, it's dripping flaming balls of vinyl and making that weep weep weep sound as each drop fell to the floor. He finally gave up trying to blow it out and a helpful worker came to the rescue with a cup of water from the drinking fountain. E-One shortly after quit the practice of hiring terminated door greeters from wal wart as tour guides and years later I heard nixed all tours period. It was a hoot but you really had to be there to appreciate it. Damned slowcala!
Thought you were m. I. a., Dennis.  Haven't seen you on here in a very long time.  Glad to see you back.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
All of our trucks are Yellow. Our newest Engine we changed and decided to go black over yellow and we love it!

Here is our newest engine (2013 Resenbauer) and one of our ladders (1987 Pierce). 
I think that the black and yellow truck looks nice than the all-yellow truck sitting next to it.  Unusual color choice both ways!

Reactions: Brendan11

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.