Wiring a boat

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
I will be putting a siren and edge bar on a Rscue 1 boat. Is there anything special I need to be aware of? What siren and switches would be best? Pictures will follow in the install thread.

Thanks Andrew

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Salt water or fresh water use?

And it basically all boils down to.. Use marine switches, waterproof all connections (or mount in areas where it won't get damp/wet)

Never done a siren on a boat, but I think some companies make a "standard" two tone marine siren, IIRC.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
Also, generally you can NOT ground to the chassis on a boat. All grounds have to go back to the negative battery terminal.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
Thanks for the help so far. It will be used in fresh water. Our marine police around here have sirens on there boats, and I think they would use the PA part more than anything else. Its for a neighboring dept that has alot of lake front territory

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
You may want to consider a Marine radio with "loud hailer" option (which are quite common on larger vessels) and a electronic marine airhorn with the lights...?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
RJ* said:
Also, generally you can NOT ground to the chassis on a boat. All grounds have to go back to the negative battery terminal.

Depends on the size and material the boat is made of... On small crafts, though, I give it to you, return to the neg terminal...

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
definitely bring all grounds back to the battery as stated. depends on the boat (center console, etc) most emergency boats ive seen either have indoor area or at least a compartment above or below the center console where you would mount the equipment. Other then that is pretty much straightforward. Oh and mount the siren speaker relatively high or the sound echoes too much. Nothing special is need really as sounds travels like crazy on water.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Also dont forget to make sure you have clearance if you put any screws in. Nothing worse than putting a screw through a hull or gas tank.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.