Wiring My Display - Final Step

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Several asked about how I was wiring my new display up. So I took pictures today while I was working on it. I may do a video evenually, but I think the photos will show it pretty well.

I am using standard 14-2 Copper wire that you would wire your house with. It is rated at 600 volts. I only use the white and black wires.
Wire.jpg

I have 1-1/2" aluminum flat bar covering the wooden shelf fronts. I did this with the intent of using it to mount the toggle switches too, plus it just looks really nice on the shelf fronts. I drill a 1/2" hole into the flat bar where I want to mount my toggle switch. I first put two pieces of tape on the shelf so that the bit will not slip and the whole will be more round.
DSC_0744 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0745 (Medium).JPG

I purchased toggle switches off of Ebay for less than $1 a piece. They have an LED in the tip of the switch that lights when on. Not necessary but it was harder to find them without the LED. Keep in mind though if you do have an LED you have to run an extra ground wire for the switch.
Toggles.jpg
The switches take the slow boat from China, by the way, so order them a month in advance of doing the work.

Here is a basic diagram I did to show the wiring connections. The red wire in the diagram is actually the white wire. You can purchase 14-2 wire with red black if you choose.
Wiring.jpg

The first light I connect is on the end run. So I merely strip back the sheathing a few inches and cut the insulation back about 3/8" on the ends of the two wires. I just snip the copper wire off so it's not in my way.
DSC_0747 (Small).JPG

Then cut some wire for the toggle switch. I am reusing wire I had for the previous display which is red and black.
DSC_0748 (Small).JPG

The switches are labeled. Left is positive in, middle is power to the light and right is negative. The middle wire has to be long enough to reach the wire coming from the light. The other two only have to reach the middle of the shelf where the main wire is passing.
DSC_0750 (Small).JPG

This shows the toggle switch wired at the end of the run.

DSC_0752 (Small).JPG
Toggle switch installed in the whole we drilled.DSC_0753 (Small).JPG

The wires from the light drops down behind the shelf and connects to the switch.
DSC_0754_LI (Small).jpg
The wires are secured and tucked for neatness.

DSC_0755 (Small).JPG

Testing the connection.

DSC_0756 (Small).JPG
Then I move down to where the next switch is going and cut the wire 4" longer than needed. That accounts for the bends you need to connect wires together and stripping.

DSC_0757 (Small).JPG

DSC_0758 (Small).JPG
Wire the switch up just as before.

DSC_0759 (Small).JPG

Tuck the wires and move on down the line. I place a switch about every 9-1/2" along the shelf, that seems to work fine for small or big lights.

DSC_0761 (Small).JPG

The wires when tucked neatly do not show without stooping and looking under the shelf. My tallest shelf is 5' so only kids will notice the wiring. If your shelf is taller you could cut some 1/8 plywood and use stud spacers to make a bottom with a space for the wiring.

DSC_0765 (Small).JPG

The middle of my second shelf is where I have my various throw lights with lighter plugs. I tied a double power unit to the front of the shelf to use for them. I may add another two port one later.

DSC_0766 (Small).JPG

DSC_0767 (Small).JPG

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
I said it before in another thread and I'll say it here: the aluminum trim you've added to your shelves makes them look amazing! Thanks, also, for the wiring and switch detail. It's a great system you've got there. :)

Reactions: Skulldigger
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Very nice setup..

Reactions: Skulldigger
I like the idea of having the switch at the light! And the aluminum fascia is both functional and downright fine looking!

I guess I was going more for the DJ approach with a console to control the lights (and sirens).
IMG_0949.JPG Here's the console: 3 sheets of birch ply with an aluminum switch panel (I have yet to label the switches). The push buttons are for the sirens (see below) and their respective brake--the 78B DualTone has a switch for its light.
IMG_0947.JPG IMG_1078.JPG For wiring, I used a 100' spool of landscape light wiring--more than adequate for the amps. My power source for the lights is the Red Top Optima battery--I purchased that puppy 15 years ago! It's on a battery minder trickle charger.
IMG_0948.JPG And of course, everything is fused. Common wire is bolted to a ground panel and red wires lead to individual switches.

IMG_0950.JPG Not all the lights are hooked up yet, but the wires are run. This helps me keep my obsession in check--I can't add that much more to the display!
IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3634.JPGWires are run on the shelf behind the beacons and have races to conceal vertical and horizontal runs. My sirens are mounted on top of cabinets in my garage--the 78 and the SiroDrift are mounted on one piece of MDF and the Q on another (keeps em from flopping around) and are powered by another Yellow Top Optima (only 9 years old) also charged by a battery minder charger.
IMG_3636.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

So when I want to put on a show, I hand out the ear protection, disconnect the chargers and do my DJ routine!

Attachments

• IMG_3636.JPG
    IMG_3636.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3634.JPG
    IMG_3634.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 30

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I like the idea of having the switch at the light! And the aluminum fascia is both functional and downright fine looking!

I guess I was going more for the DJ approach with a console to control the lights (and sirens).

You have a nice setup. Like an old instructor of mine use to say. My way is A Way, not necessarily The Way. It would be interesting to see other peoples setups, probably really good displays out there we would all like to borrow ideas from.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan

View attachment 208345 Here's the console: 3 sheets of birch ply with an aluminum switch panel (I have yet to label the switches). The push buttons are for the sirens (see below) and their respective brake--the 78B DualTone has a switch for its light.
View attachment 208346 View attachment 208348 For wiring, I used a 100' spool of landscape light wiring--more than adequate for the amps. My power source for the lights is the Red Top Optima battery--I purchased that puppy 15 years ago! It's on a battery minder trickle charger.
View attachment 208347 And of course, everything is fused. Common wire is bolted to a ground panel and red wires lead to individual switches.

View attachment 208349 Not all the lights are hooked up yet, but the wires are run. This helps me keep my obsession in check--I can't add that much more to the display!
View attachment 208355 View attachment 208356Wires are run on the shelf behind the beacons and have races to conceal vertical and horizontal runs. My sirens are mounted on top of cabinets in my garage--the 78 and the SiroDrift are mounted on one piece of MDF and the Q on another (keeps em from flopping around) and are powered by another Yellow Top Optima (only 9 years old) also charged by a battery minder charger.
View attachment 208358 View attachment 208357

So when I want to put on a show, I hand out the ear protection, disconnect the chargers and do my DJ routine!
Your control panel is pretty cool looking and your set up is very professional, as well. I like the birch and aluminum. Thanks for sharing.

And, don't forget, from your stand, you could put up a curtain and tell folks to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain while you ran the lights and sirens to your heart's content! :)

Reactions: Maxim2Eng
You have a nice setup. Like an old instructor of mine use to say. My way is A Way, not necessarily The Way. It would be interesting to see other peoples setups, probably really good displays out there we would all like to borrow ideas from.
Definitely! Sharing sparks imagination and ideas! For example, I seem to recall a couple of members posting recently (kerry4951, and others?) who had engraved tags on their shelves... I am so gonna use that (albeit with a Brother Labelmaker). Like a museum, what is it and why do I have this light. One could get carried away an use QR codes to provide excruciating details!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada

If I were there to hear it, I'd request the Siro-Drift. It sings the best tune.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.