Wiring older siren/controller to new controller??

carguy4471

Is this something folks do? Is it possible to wire an older siren, such as a touchmaster, to a new controller like a 4200??

I'm pretty electronically savvy but wanted to ask before I jumped the gun and started buying some things.

Thanks!!

Doyle257

Site Regular
As long as the siren has a Power input, and uses trigger wires to activate a tone, you can use it without a problem. If the siren requires the output of the controller to run the siren, then a Relay will be required. Each output on the 4200 is good for 5a

OP
OP
C

carguy4471

So.... basically if it uses switches on the face of the unit, I'd have to relay each input and solder to the back of the switch....??? Seems like what you are getting at.

Doyle257

Site Regular
for a siren/controller combination...yes.

OP
OP
C

carguy4471

Dang! I was kinda hoping i could just solder in a couple wires on the back side of some switches and be done with it. I like the attractive cost of some of the older models on ebay, but I'd surely wind up with a nest of relays and wires running into the box. :(

shues

Lifetime VIP Supporter
You might be happy with a Unitrol 80K or Omega 90 instead of a Touchmaster. Both lend themselves to remoting. The Omega 90 will offer you a wider range of tones and functions than the 80K, but it will also likely cost more.

OP
OP
C

carguy4471

That's some good info there!! Looks to be a few 80k units pretty cheap on ebay as well. I appreciate the input!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amlun95
Top Bottom