Wobbly Aerodynic Rotators

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I recently got my hands on a 6-rotator synchronized Aerodynic, and while everything works, a few of the rotators are extremely wobbly. It has been quite a while since I have messed with rotators like this, as I am usually dealing with sealed beams or strobes on the older stuff that I get.

Any insights as to how to remedy this issue? Would just greasing the rotators help?

Also, I was wondering how to remove the rotators from the lightbar base. The bar is in great shape, but it needs a very good cleaning, and I would like to get underneath the rotator gears.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Grease is usually the best thing to start with. That's solved all my problems so far. If that doesn't work, then there's probably a problem in a gear somewhere, but those are also an easy fix.

Remove the lightbulbs and the c-style clip on the gears in between the rotators and the gears. The rotators should pull right off.

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
Ok, now my question is what kind of grease to use. I've tried white lithium grease, but it seems to be too liquidy?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I had the same problem before. Grease is the answer.

About the rotator removal, the in-between gears will pull right off as Lotsofbars pointed out, but the rotators themselves will remain in place unless you unscrew the whole deck and loosen the bolt under the rotator. You can still clean under the rotators pretty well without removing them. Solvent on a Q-tips, for instance. :)

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
Thanks for all of the help. I have the wobbling and cleaning taken care of now. The new issue is that the pattern doesn't stay in sync, leading me to believe that the belt is skipping. I have a parts bar, so I guess that will be the next order of business.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
The best lube to use on that is the battery grease lube in the packet that they have on the counter in autzone. Been using it, and i also even use it on my unity spotlights.

65ramblerman

May 2, 2012
united states iowa
Just bought an AeroDynic that had been in a flood back in 2006. Never been cleaned out. Before I completely took it apart the belt was slipping, I tried WD-40 to get it to loosen up from the top side and couldn't get it. After i took it all apart and cleaned up all the old grease from the under side they all started spinng free and no more belt slip. Just a note, motor will have to come off...screw hiding underneath, and center divider will also have to come off, otherwise any screw along the very edges.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
65ramblerman said:
Just bought an AeroDynic that had been in a flood back in 2006. Never been cleaned out. Before I completely took it apart the belt was slipping, I tried WD-40 to get it to loosen up from the top side and couldn't get it. After i took it all apart and cleaned up all the old grease from the under side they all started spinng free and no more belt slip. Just a note, motor will have to come off...screw hiding underneath, and center divider will also have to come off, otherwise any screw along the very edges.

I go with the PB Blaster. When wd 40 cant do the job. you can get it in autozone.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.