WTF

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
Are you F***ing kidding me ......... At first I was like nice rig and then i was like drive that bitch into a fire and leave it there.

Last edited by a moderator:

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Sorry folks I am going to have to disagree on the current opinions. I like the "blues and twos" siren... It has s distinctive sound which when you are running code it's safe to say NO ONE else will be using that tone...

Now the whole "big ladder on a school bus" totally in agreement... LoL

Dennis

resQyou

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I think it's kind of neat. Sure sounds better than a god-damned Q siren. Too many fire engines out there with Qs anyway.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I'm gonna have to agree with RESQYOU on this, that would be wicked awesome!!! Also too bad I couldn't find a single response video where they used them, tisk tisk.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I kinda like it. If someone wanted that siren what kind is it and where would I find it?

I can imagine the looks I would get as I pulled in to the station lol

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Well I certainly like it.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I love it. The siren AND the paint job. Anything different is cool in my book, though a yellow fire vehicle isn't as unusual as the Euro-siren in the USA.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Someone said the same thing when they first heard a Powercall.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Wailer said:
I think it's kind of neat. Sure sounds better than a god-damned Q siren. Too many fire engines out there with Qs anyway.

Blasphemy!

But seriously, are you kidding me? The Q does a great job at getting attention and that's one of the reasons why it is so popular. If "too many fire engines out there" have a Q, that means that there are thousands of people out there that disagree with you. This European-type siren sounds awful, and I can see why some countries in Europe are starting to move away from that sound. Also, it sounds like a toy, so American drivers probably won't think twice about moving out of the way until they actually see the truck right on top of them (on the other hand, if they hear a Q or a wail/yelp/hyperyelp electronic siren, it's more likely that they'll recognize the sound and associate it with an EV)

As the for the E-One itself, it looks solid.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Sounds great if you ask me. Genuine mechanical sirens like this always sound better than fakes like the EQ2B and the European 2-tone equivalents.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
pdk9 said:
Blasphemy! But seriously, are you kidding me? The Q does a great job at getting attention and that's one of the reasons why it is so popular. If "too many fire engines out there" have a Q, that means that there are thousands of people out there that disagree with you.

I don't hate the Q siren.

What I hate is the stereotype that a fire engine must have a mechanical siren in order to sound like a fire engine.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Wailer said:
I don't hate the Q siren.

What I hate is the stereotype that a fire engine must have a mechanical siren in order to sound like a fire engine.

You don't NEED to have a mech. siren, but I can promise you that if I'm on a busy street or coming up on a busy intersection, people WILL hear me coming because when I'm in the engine, my foot will be on the pedal to run the Q. What I hate is how many of today's electronic sirens are relatively weak and you can't hear from what a lot of firefighters, EMS personnel, and LEOs would consider a sufficient distance. The Q solves that for firetrucks. Also, if someone hears the sound a Q makes, most immediately think of a firetruck and are more alert as we approach.

Q's are amazing, I would put on on my Cavalier if I could run sirens. That's no matter how tacky, ridiculous, and overdone it would be.

Tiller245

Jun 29, 2012
Chester County,PA
Are you F***ing kidding me ......... At first I was like nice rig and then i was like drive that bitch into a fire and leave it there.

I agree with you 100% I loved the truck when they first got it. It's a very solid and great purposely build ladder that's very practical. But putting the Martin horns on it just doesn't sit right with me to a point. Our tower truck(all German except the motor,trans, warning equipment and so on) has them here in Kennett Square,PA and even tho I'm not a huge fan of them I have had people pull over for them almost a 1/4 mile down the road from me just with the horns on...I hate the fact tho that they are on an American made truck and yes I agree needs to be driven into a fire but I can also agree that they are extremely effective.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
DefianceEngineCompany said:
I fell in love when i first herd the almighty POWERCALL

Was it an actual General Electric Power-Call/Siren, or something that tries to sound like one?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
That one would do just fine for someone in France! Mon dieu, where is ze fire? :) Y'all may consider the Q the leader, but the B&M Super Chief is giving the Q a real run for its money!!!!

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
As a lover of all things different when it comes to fire apparatus, I really like the yellow paint scheme along with the Martin's. Maybe not for everyone's taste, but no one can argue that it will get your attention.

I was lucky that the first Powercall I ever heard was an original GE. I was even luckier to get my own 1963 GE Powercall (58W model) about a year later. I now run it as the electronic on my Mack pumper, and god does it sound good with that deep pitch.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
That one would do just fine for someone in France! Mon dieu, where is ze fire? :) Y'all may consider the Q the leader, but the B&M Super Chief is giving the Q a real run for its money!!!!

It is a lower-pitched siren when running at full speed and therefore sounds better than the Q.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DefianceEngineCompany said:
MY GOD ..... why would you say such a thing. :jawdrop:

You've gotta understand, Wailer just doesn't like high-pitched sirens at all. Now if that truck had a B&M Super Chief, it'd be a horse of a different color (not to mention a much better sound).

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Q's are great and all responding... but it sucks talking on a portable with one winding down in the background. Must be why they came out with a brake.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JPolston said:
You don't NEED to have a mech. siren, but I can promise you that if I'm on a busy street or coming up on a busy intersection, people WILL hear me coming because when I'm in the engine, my foot will be on the pedal to run the Q. What I hate is how many of today's electronic sirens are relatively weak and you can't hear from what a lot of firefighters, EMS personnel, and LEOs would consider a sufficient distance. The Q solves that for firetrucks. Also, if someone hears the sound a Q makes, most immediately think of a firetruck and are more alert as we approach.

Q's are amazing, I would put on on my Cavalier if I could run sirens. That's no matter how tacky, ridiculous, and overdone it would be.

What you need for the Cavalier is one of those little Eagle sirens. Odessa has been running them on their medics for a few years and they're actually loud for such a small critter! OFD's Batt. Chief's car is a Tahoe, and they have an Eagle mounted under the bumper along with the Whelen electronic. I used to think that the Eagles wouldn't be much at all, but I stand corrected!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Liberty703 said:
Q's are great and all responding... but it sucks talking on a portable with one winding down in the background. Must be why they came out with a brake.

That's why they came out with headphones for your portable! :p

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Skip Goulet said:
That's why they came out with headphones for your portable! :p
Um, yeah... I'm already hard of hearing... with those on, all I see is lips moving.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Skip Goulet said:
What you need for the Cavalier is one of those little Eagle sirens. Odessa has been running them on their medics for a few years and they're actually loud for such a small critter! OFD's Batt. Chief's car is a Tahoe, and they have an Eagle mounted under the bumper along with the Whelen electronic. I used to think that the Eagles wouldn't be much at all, but I stand corrected!

I can't locate any audio or video footage of an Eagle so if you find some please post it Skip.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Fed Q > Super Chief... Just saying. Not saying the Super Chief isn't a great siren and isn't effective, just prefer the sound of a Q. When I hear a Super Chief I think of an OLD ambulance, like the 59 Cadillac meteor in ghostbusters before it becomes the ecto-1. When I hear a Q I think of an engine. Just how my mind works.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
JPolston said:
When I hear a Q I think of an engine. Just how my mind works.

When I hear a Q or any mechanical siren I think of an antique fire engine. In my opinion, mechanical sirens are out of place on modern emergency vehicles.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Wailer said:
When I hear a Q or any mechanical siren I think of an antique fire engine. In my opinion, mechanical sirens are out of place on modern emergency vehicles.

That is the irony - still more effective than modern technology.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Wailer said:
WS224 said:
That is the irony - still more effective than modern technology.

:iagree: :goodpost: :iagree: :goodpost: :iagree: :goodpost: :iagree: :goodpost:

I will take a good mechanical like a Q2B over most electronic sirens these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Zapp Brannigan said:
:iagree: :goodpost: :iagree: :goodpost: :iagree: :goodpost: :iagree: :goodpost:

I will take a good mechanical like a Q2B over most electronic sirens these days.

AGREED! There's nothing like a mechanical or four under the hood!

Signed; King Overkill, audible division.... :weird: (<me)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.