Yankee 264 Trooper

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
It took me awhile but I finally got the South Carolina Highway Patrol Yankee light set up the way that its suppose to be. When I picked up the light a long time ago it came with an aftermarket red dome and no bug screen. After searching for a long time, I recently acquired a correct bug screen in excellent condition and an NOS blue Yankee 350 dome. Anyone who knows Yankee lights knows how difficult it is to find nice domes, especially blue and NOS. The light is now looking like it rightfully should.100_5192.JPG 100_5193.JPG

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
That is really cool! I'm glad your persistence paid off and thanks for sharing. I never knew about the bug screen and it really adds to your light. Two thumbs up! :)

johnnyn

Nov 23, 2016
Lexington
Kerry4951...WOW
That is for sure an SCHP light. All of their numbers were 9179 and then the specific tracking number (282). They began using these in 1978 when they went to the current car paint/stripe scheme.
They also used the 9179- series numbering on the Federal CJ284, which they started phasing in about 1985 as well as the Whelen Edge light bar that was phased in in about 1988/1989.
I have a handful of both lights but I need the lenses and bug screens...any help??
Anyone else have source for Yankee 264 and/or Federal CJ284 lenses?
Please email me.
Thanks
buggin1967@aol.com

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
The domes and the bug screens are the hard things to find. I had my Trooper 264 for a few years with a red dome before I found a blue, and a bug screen. I had to buy a whole another light just to get the blue dome and the bug screen. I then sold that 2nd light with an aftermarket red dome and did OK to recoup a lot of my money. A friend of mine recently found and bought a 264 with a blue dome, but the seller never packaged it properly and it arrived damaged. Finding the Yankee domes is hard enough, but then getting them shipped without damage is another concern. Yankee domes are very thin plastic and will break very easy. Blue Yankee domes are as scarce as hen's teeth today. Over the years I have acquired all 4 colors of the Yankee domes (on lights) and I wouldnt part with any of them. They are just to hard to replace.

johnnyn

Nov 23, 2016
Lexington
Kerry
I had aftermarket bug screen made.
I will research the records tomorrow and see who had that light.
Do you happen the know the 9179 number on the other light?
Thanks

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I look at the Yankee 264's like I look at the Whelen 5000PA's. Both are very unique lights, both with light and speaker combos, and both seem to had been used predominately by mainly two major state agencies. The 264 being the SCHP and the 5000PA for the PA State Police. Outside of those 2 agencies, each one of those lights doesnt seem to have been used by very many other depts. or agencies. Im sure there were others but my guess is very few.

Reactions: tsquale

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Spot on with that assessment Kerry. Mine is a 2xx number, as were the other four I had at one point. Very cool and odd looking lights that, as stated above, are impossible to find parts for

johnnyn

Nov 23, 2016
Lexington
cid:DBDBFBD5-D737-4F37-8EB4-0C8B3B8FD634

johnnyn

Nov 23, 2016
Lexington
Kerry
Atached is the Rolodex card on the PO when your light was purchased by SCHP. They bought the first 200 lights, 100 at a time. (9179-1 to 9179-200). It's weird because they bought the next 20 lights 5 at a time (201-220). The attached card shows the PO number and where they purchased an additional 100 lights, which included your light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.