Your Advice for Hooking This Siren Up!

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Well, I headed out today to do a few errands. I stopped in a Advance Motor Parts and quickly found a good chrome polish. However, when I asked him about a Par 36 bulb, he headed over to the headlight shelf. Then I told him this wasn't a headlight. "That's all we carry!" So one down! Then I inquired about a Ford solenoid to use with the mechanical siren, and he started shooting questions at me, "What model Ford? What year? Using it with a siren? How?, etc." It was non-stop and I had no answers for him.

So, where's the best place for me to look for a couple of Par 36 bulbs and just what type of switch or solenoid do I buy to use as the switch for the Federal Model E siren I have?

Thanks all,

Steve

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DalmatProd said:
Well, I headed out today to do a few errands. I stopped in a Advance Motor Parts and quickly found a good chrome polish. However, when I asked him about a Par 36 bulb, he headed over to the headlight shelf. Then I told him this wasn't a headlight. "That's all we carry!" So one down! Then I inquired about a Ford solenoid to use with the mechanical siren, and he started shooting questions at me, "What model Ford? What year? Using it with a siren? How?, etc." It was non-stop and I had no answers for him.

So, where's the best place for me to look for a couple of Par 36 bulbs and just what type of switch or solenoid do I buy to use as the switch for the Federal Model E siren I have?

Thanks all,

Steve

Go to another parts house and this time tell them that you need a 4416 bulb: 4416R if you want red, 4416B for blue, etc. Next, just ask for a Ford starter solenoid for a mid to late '60s Ford. Let them know you don't have to be specific and tell them what you're doing. If Advance can't help, try O'Reilly's if you have them. Also, come to think of it, NAPA is good on those solenoids. That's who Kevin at B&M recommends. If all else fails, go to the B&M website (B&M Siren Mfg, home of Super-Chief and Siro-Drift Sirens) and click on their contact info. They can help you on that solenoid.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Thanks, Skip, for the advice and direction. I wish you could have seen that clerk face. Now, he wasn't some young kid either; he was probably close to our ages. But you would have thought I had a monkey growing out of the top of my head, the way he looked at me.

Hoping I'll be able to hit the road again tomorrow. There are several car parts businesses within 5 miles of my home, so I'll probably just shoot for another.

Oh, and I did manage to pick up a good chrome polish while I was at the car store. So it wasn't a totally wasted trip!

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Well, to save myself a lot of frustrating running around, I decided to conduct a few web searches first for both the solenoid for the siren and for the bulbs. Sure enough, after hitting most of the parts stores around me and not finding the bulbs at any of them, I hit the O'Reilly's web site. It turns out, they don't have any stores in South Florida, but not a problem as one can purchase through the online store.

They had both the 4416 bulb and the switch, so I ordered two bulbs (since I have two separate lights, each with four bulbs) one to be an extra and I ordered a mid-1960's Ford Galaxy starter solenoid switch, since the second car I had as a kid was 1967 V-8 Ford Galaxy. They all should be here by next Monday, November 4.

Today, I should also be receiving the Novus polishing kits for my three lamps. Which reminds me, I know there's someone on here who often carries a lot of the domes. When I purchased my SVP 2000 mini-bar, it has two fairly large cracks in the dome. Even though the light will only be used for display purposes, I'm thinking about replacing the dome. Do you remember who is the member that usually has them?

Thanks!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DalmatProd said:
Well, to save myself a lot of frustrating running around, I decided to conduct a few web searches first for both the solenoid for the siren and for the bulbs. Sure enough, after hitting most of the parts stores around me and not finding the bulbs at any of them, I hit the O'Reilly's web site. It turns out, they don't have any stores in South Florida, but not a problem as one can purchase through the online store.

They had both the 4416 bulb and the switch, so I ordered two bulbs (since I have two separate lights, each with four bulbs) one to be an extra and I ordered a mid-1960's Ford Galaxy starter solenoid switch, since the second car I had as a kid was 1967 V-8 Ford Galaxy. They all should be here by next Monday, November 4.

Today, I should also be receiving the Novus polishing kits for my three lamps. Which reminds me, I know there's someone on here who often carries a lot of the domes. When I purchased my SVP 2000 mini-bar, it has two fairly large cracks in the dome. Even though the light will only be used for display purposes, I'm thinking about replacing the dome. Do you remember who is the member that usually has them?

Thanks!

I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product, Steve. As to those domes, I'm not sure who you're talking about. Several people on the board have domes and lenses, including John Marcson.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Skip Goulet said:
I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product, Steve. As to those domes, I'm not sure who you're talking about. Several people on the board have domes and lenses, including John Marcson.

Well, hopefully one of those folks who deal some replacements will see the post and leave a reply or PM.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Skip, at al,

Well here is a picture of the solenoid I purchased online from O'Reilly's, for this siren.

FordSolenoid_zpsdaeb59f0.jpg

Now, I just need your assistance in how to hook it up to work with the siren.

Once I have a regular way to have it work, I'll start on its restoration and mounting for internal display in my home.

While I have often turn to you folks on ELB for directions and advice on putting things together again, especially, electronically, it feels good to be working on this stuff again. It's been a long time and my memory isn't quite as sharp as it once was!

Thanks to all who have offered that advice and those directions!

Steve

DalmatProd

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DalmatProd said:
Skip, at al,

Well here is a picture of the solenoid I purchased online from O'Reilly's, for this siren.

View attachment 63220

Now, I just need your assistance in how to hook it up to work with the siren.

Once I have a regular way to have it work, I'll start on its restoration and mounting for internal display in my home.

While I have often turn to you folks on ELB for directions and advice on putting things together again, especially, electronically, it feels good to be working on this stuff again. It's been a long time and my memory isn't quite as sharp as it once was!

Thanks to all who have offered that advice and those directions!

Steve

DalmatProd

O.K., Steve, looking at the solenoid from the back, the large left terminal is for the siren cable. Large right terminal goes to your battery (or power source). The small left terminal on top goes to switch and from switch to hot. Run a short wire from the small right terminal down to the large right terminal. That should do you. Just be careful, since I still suspect that it's a 6-volt siren. The solenoid puts full battery power to the siren. If we could definitely determine that it's a 6-volt siren, I'd suggest buying a replacement 12-volt motor from Joe Dorgan. Downside there is that the motor would cost more than what you paid for the siren. As a caution, if it is 6 as I suspect, just barely put enough juice to it to roll the siren over. Just down "lean" on it to let it reach its peak as that could burn the motor.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Skip - thanks for the step-by-step, easy-to-follow directions. However, you mentioned the word, "switch."

Did I "oops" this entire project by not buying a switch? And if so, what type of switch do I need to get?

I'm going to see if there is a way for me to replace that extremely worn wire that is coming out of the siren.

As for the voltage of the motor question, the few times I powered the unit, it not hear or feel as though the motor was over-revving. That!s what bakes me lean to the side that it's actually a 12 volt unit. We'll see. If it is, indeed a 6 volt, then you should be able to see the flame/smoke even in Texas!! LOL

Steve

DalmatProd

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DalmatProd said:
Skip - thanks for the step-by-step, easy-to-follow directions. However, you mentioned the word, "switch."
Did I "oops" this entire project by not buying a switch? And if so, what type of switch do I need to get?

I'm going to see if there is a way for me to replace that extremely worn wire that is coming out of the siren.

As for the voltage of the motor question, the few times I powered the unit, it not hear or feel as though the motor was over-revving. That!s what bakes me lean to the side that it's actually a 12 volt unit. We'll see. If it is, indeed a 6 volt, then you should be able to see the flame/smoke even in Texas!! LOL

Steve

DalmatProd

Since you're using a solenoid, you can use a large pushbutton found at most part houses...chrome that mounts into the dash, as for a starter or horn button. Or you could use a heavy duty toggle switch. Where the switch is concerned, you' re more concerned with amperage than voltage. Once you get it all up and running, as I've mentioned, just get on and get off when you're demoing it, just to be safe. I know you don't want to "fry" the poor critter, with all you've already done to get 'er up and running.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Skip Goulet said:
Since you're using a solenoid, you can use a large pushbutton found at most part houses...chrome that mounts into the dash, as for a starter or horn button. Or you could use a heavy duty toggle switch. Where the switch is concerned, you' re more concerned with amperage than voltage. Once you get it all up and running, as I've mentioned, just get on and get off when you're demoing it, just to be safe. I know you don't want to "fry" the poor critter, with all you've already done to get 'er up and running.

OK, sounds good. I'll head over PEP Boys tomorrow and pick up the switch. I'll have to test it moderately, as I live in a heavy residential neighborhood and I "currently" have a great relationship with my neighbors on that side of the house. PLUS, as it is, I live less that 1/2 mile from one of our firehouses (all career, dammit) and whenever the engine drives by and winds up the "Q," my dog, Kefi, runs to the window and, first starts to bark, then has developed this high pitched "howl" that she drags out to the sound of the "Q!"

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DalmatProd said:
OK, sounds good. I'll head over PEP Boys tomorrow and pick up the switch. I'll have to test it moderately, as I live in a heavy residential neighborhood and I "currently" have a great relationship with my neighbors on that side of the house. PLUS, as it is, I live less that 1/2 mile from one of our firehouses (all career, dammit) and whenever the engine drives by and winds up the "Q," my dog, Kefi, runs to the window and, first starts to bark, then has developed this high pitched "howl" that she drags out to the sound of the "Q!"

If she howls at the Q, she'd scream at a Super Chief! :p

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Skip Goulet said:
If she howls at the Q, she'd scream at a Super Chief! :p

LOL!! I'm going to walk her down there one day and introduce their favorite fan to the crew!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.