Zapp's Official Vintage Collecting Thread

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Ok, to preface, YES, I know there is a thread to "Identify this bar", but not in Vintage forum. I know it is an easy one for ou guys, not such a puzzle, but help me figure this out.

This should not be a hard one for you guys, I just cannot remember the name or model of this!

Local guy on CL selling it, I am interested. He says he replaced some innards from a junk bar, of same make/model, so they SHOULD be correct, but I just do not know enough about vintage stuff!! Claims it is a "Whelen Model 27597" although Google search of such yields no results!

Also, in the condition seen, curious what a good offering price should be?

Thanks in advance gurus!!

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_Lights_2012_07_18_18_13_13_963.jpg
ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_Lights_2012_07_18_17_31_14_296.jpg
ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_Lights_1_imagejpeg952.jpg

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
The domes are incorrect, the set its got are for the strobe version of this bar.

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
Generic model would be a model 80H, don't know exact model number, does not have the later "open on both sides" rotators, it looks like it is in really good shape, I would offer $75.00 to $125.00 to him.

Clarence

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
JennyCop said:
The domes are incorrect, the set its got are for the strobe version of this bar.
At this juncture, that would be the least of my concerns, at least they fit and are correct to the bar itself, but thank you.

Clarence H said:
Generic model would be a model 80H, don't know exact model number, does not have the later "open on both sides" rotators, it looks like it is in really good shape, I would offer $75.00 to $125.00 to him.
Clarence

Thanks a lot Clarence!! Gives me a better idea, thanks for that model!!!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I believe the ends of the base yeild the model. I think these all started with an 8 (80, 80H, 8000, etc... the Im getting the strobe 8000 from Tony) Pimp would be the guy to ask about this one Nate

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Agreed. This is an 80H bar, not sure about the specifics. The inner options are *#$!@!ing awesome, though, so I'd offer at least $100 for the bar.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
lotsofbars said:
Agreed. This is an 80H bar, not sure about the specifics. The inner options are *#$!@!ing awesome, though, so I'd offer at least $100 for the bar.

+1 those rotators are cool as hell. I paid $50 for my 8000 strobe bar. Try to get it cheap, and sell it to me cheap, so I can make an epic frankenbar!

Also, have him send you a pic of the very end of the bar so we can see the model number

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
7d9_z28 said:
+1 those rotators are cool as hell. I paid $50 for my 8000 strobe bar. Try to get it cheap, and sell it to me cheap, so I can make an epic frankenbar!

Also, have him send you a pic of the very end of the bar so we can see the model number

Lol, pfft :rolleyes: , not gonna re-sell it (at least not right away) if I get it for the right price!!!

Oct 28, 2010
Kingston NY
Zapp Brannigan said:
Lol, pfft :rolleyes: , not gonna re-sell it (at least not right away) if I get it for the right price!!!
This has been for sale now for a while. I was going to look at it since it is 10 minutes from my house but I figure I have too many bars now anyway. Hope you get it!!!

PinballCharlie

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
Based on the options, it appears to be a New York State Police version. The correct domes would be RED and have clear cutouts for the forward facing Par36 lamps for takedowns. The rear of the lens was solid red. :cool:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
dmathieu said:
Jenny is correct. The fluted strobe domes/lense will greatly decrease the effectiveness of the halogen flashes.

Which I am fine with, at least in the beginning, just to acquire it and I can always look for correct lenses in the future.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Ok, so I got my bar today. All bulbs work, one rotator the gears must be stripped on, it does rotate with a little assistance, but not on it's own.

Bar will need some work, some of the insides need to be sanded down and the rust removed and repainted, and I will need to get CORRECT lenses for this bar.

This is my first collection bar, and my first vintage, and first to restore. ANY and all help is appreciated!!

The plate on the bar only has a Serial #, the Model # does not appear, or has worn down with age. The center rotator is the one that does not rotate correctly.

2012-07-18_17-31-14_296.JPG2012-07-18_17-30-53_910.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
PinballCharlie said:
Congrats on your first bar!!!! You have a lot of work ahead of you. Hollar when you are ready for another :)

Definitely will let you know Charlie!!!

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
ford-dealer said:
Based on the options, it appears to be a New York State Police version. The correct domes would be RED and have clear cutouts for the forward facing Par36 lamps for takedowns. The rear of the lens was solid red. :cool:

Never saw a NYSP unit with this type light do you have a photo? :D

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Wigwam700 said:
Never saw a NYSP unit with this type light do you have a photo? :D

Here ya go Todd :)

Theres a better shot of this bar from the front somewhere but I cant find it at the moment.

Photo Credit:CopCar.com

newyork-vi.jpg

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Nice find!! I tried searching feverishly (for 5 minutes) and then gave up!! Living in NY my whole life, I never remember seeing one of these on a NYSP car, of course, back then I was just a lil kid lol!! :cool:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_scan0085.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_scan0086.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_scan0091.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_scan0090.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_Whelen_scan0089.jpg

Yours looks NY style ....

Reactions: Nathan R

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Ive always loved those rotator assemblies of those bars! just never liked the bar shape itself, would like to put those rotators in another housing professionally. looks like you got a good project on yours hands!

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
JennyCop said:
Theres a better shot of this bar from the front somewhere but I cant find it at the moment.

Jenny! Thanks for validating my observation about it being an NYSP bar with the pic! :thumbsup:

I bought one of those NYSP bars a few years back... but as luck would have it, UPS pretty much did it in! :( The not only destroyed the lenses, which BTW... Were NYSP specific lenses, but also flattened the speaker cover too! As hard as ANY nice lens is to find for these bars, was only complicated further trying to find the correct NYSP lenses... I gave up and parted the bar out.

It is hard to see in that photo, but the clear cutouts are NOT in the same position where a Typical Cutout would be for a Par46 strobe. They are set further away from the speaker cover, in order to be in front of the forward facing Par36's, while leaving the innermost rotator to still flash red, as well as the middle one too.

IF you can find a nice set of red lenses, and a pair of clear cutouts, I suppose it would be possible to recreate them with a HUGE hole saw or a router and a jig, however, IMHO, I would be hesitant to hit the domes with any tools, as lenses that age that have been in service are typically brittle. :undecided:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Any help in locating and items for this bar are more than appreciated! This is, as was mentioned before, my first venture into a collection, and I would not know the first place to start looking (aside from here on eLb of course)!!!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Zapp Brannigan said:
Any help in locating and items for this bar are more than appreciated! This is, as was mentioned before, my first venture into a collection, and I would not know the first place to start looking (aside from here on eLb of course)!!!

I have numerous parts and parts bars... PM me what you need.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
JOHN! Trade red strobe domes for ambers?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
JohnMarcson said:
I have numerous parts and parts bars... PM me what you need.

PM sent a while back, no reply....

I am sure you are a busy guy, just wanted you to know I am still interested, and if my PM was lost, I will re-send!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
So I just picked up an AeroTwinSonic today! Lenses in decent condition, needs a good cleaning, couldn't hurt to get a good polish. Insides need a little TLC.

Also got a Federal Signal PA150. I have no desire to collect sirens, so if someone wants it throw me a fair offer!!

Taking pictures of both now and will be posted in a short while!!

2012-10-18_16-07-59_906.JPG2012-10-18_17-12-38_981.JPG

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
PinballCharlie said:
Hey, congratulations and I am glad you went and got the bar and siren :) If you did not go get it, I would have.

PinballCharlie

I appreciated the heads up Charlie!!!

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
JennyCop said:

Thanks Jenny, ask and you shall recieve!! :yes: :yes: :) :) :D :D

Todd

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
JennyCop said:

Wigwam700 said:
Thanks Jenny, ask and you shall recieve!! :yes: :yes: :) :) :D :D
Todd

Now the problem is tryign to find a set of those lenses for my bar!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Friend just picked this up and I wanted to buy it off him. Looking for rarity and price range??

Model 143 Series A4

Thanks in advance!!

IMG950046_zps23e06be5.JPGIMG952451_zpse52b68ff.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.