Car is being painted.. but what about my lights for the front?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
is your dog a dual purpose or single purpose? If it's dual purpose you could also hook something to the door that the door popper is hooked too so that when the door pops open a light flashes from the door. Sounds ludicrous to some people but I've hit the door popper on my door and it from getting hit by another deputy pulling off to the side of my car.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
fireman616wfd said:
dont know how I would beable to sync all that together..??

I dont think you can. My only peeve is when all the lights that are the same style, size, etc, are not synced. But when they are different lights, and have their own purpose, they should not be synced.

The LAW in the tail lights should only be synced with the ones in the reverse lights, their purpose is warning as well as showing the profile width of the unit.

I like a strobe pattern of Xx - Xx -, then - Xx - Xx, Xx - Xx -, - Xx - Xx. Where the drivers side red flashes with the pass side reverse then the drivers reverse with the pass tail.

The bar should have its only pattern, slow, attention getting, as it has its own purpose, warning.

My only real suggestion is if you have a HAW system that is also in the front corners and able to do selective switching. You can have the tail lights on position 1 or on 1 switch, and then the reverse light whites and front corners on position 3 or another switch. So if you do not want all the light to the rear, you can still have HAW flashing to the rear, but not the white, if you do not need it. Or say you are primary unit, and other officers stop behind you. You can knock down you warning so it is not flashing in their units, cameras, eyes, or lighting up the interior of their cars.

Same with the rear bar, you can have it on position 2 or 3.

Not everything needs to come on at one, just one pair of lights to the rear is all that is needed sometime.

When I do my install on my expedition I am going to have LP lights, HAW strobes, signal master, and flashers mounted to the rear.

Position one will be end lamps on SM flashing, and HAW strobes

Position two will be end lamps, cudas, and HAWs

Position three, SM going to in-out pattern, cudas, LP, and HAWS, and maybe white strobes in reverse lights.

I also plan on hooking my HLF, front corner lamps, and white reverse lamps to park kill, with a override, so if I am stopped, I can decide, when I want white light on or off.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
ar6423 said:
is your dog a dual purpose or single purpose? If it's dual purpose you could also hook something to the door that the door popper is hooked too so that when the door pops open a light flashes from the door. Sounds ludicrous to some people but I've hit the door popper on my door and it from getting hit by another deputy pulling off to the side of my car.

I forgot all about that. VERY good idea. Out K-9 units popper is on the pass side. And the officer had wanted to put a flashing red TIR-3 or something on the door that will flash when it is open, along with reflective tape. He has also though of having a decal on it saying something "If door is open, dog is out."

Kind of like a warning to just keep on your feet, as dog may have be released off leash, to chase someone or something.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Yeah, I've trained everyone on my shift to know that if they see the door light on (thought about using green so they see it as something different) they need to be cautious with how they are driving to the scene. I may be fighting with someone and want them to come in a hurry, but I don't want them clipping my dog as they are trying to get to me quick because the dog may be our best tool. If you do this, wire it to a switch you don't usually use. Mine is hooked to the power window lock button. It is on all the time unless I hit that button in case I need to deploy tactically under the cover of darkness. Just make sure that is the only time you use it. One of the other handlers I put this light on for just uses the opposite door if he needs to do something in the dark. He didn't want a seperate switch.

My door pops on the driver side. I prefer it on the driver side despite it opening into traffic. The reason for this is i have seen time and time again where a handler has called a dog from the passenger side as he is getting out of his driver door. The dog gets target lock on someone completely not even around. Sometimes at the end of a pursuit cops don't turn their sirens off so it is impossible for the dog to hear you yelling commands. I'd rather have him have a visual of me so I can control him with signals. I've actually seen a handler and a dog run circles around the patrol car trying to find each other at a multi agency workshop. :duh:

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
would it look cleaner if I mounted some ghost there instead of that 4 head ultralite? or tag lights?

just saying that because I can sync the ghost or tag led3s and cant the ultra-lite.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
fireman616wfd said:
would it look cleaner if I mounted some ghost there instead of that 4 head ultralite? or tag lights?

just saying that because I can sync the ghost or tag led3s and cant the ultra-lite.

I think so.. and I'm sure you would get the same light output or close to it.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
there are three different ways you could do it.

1) You could sync the driver side tag light ghost with the passenger side LAW and vice versa for the other two that way you can have them fire in a semi "x" pattern.

2) you could sync the tag light ghost to each other and then the LAWs to each other and have the LAWs fire during the off time of the tag lights.

3) you could have the tag light ghost synched to each other and flash one pattern (say fast) then have the LAWS fire a different pattern(much faster) or vice versa.

Personally, I would prefer option 1 or option 2 if I made that clear. I just think it would provide a much cleaner look. I do like mixing up flash pattern speeds at various levels... but they are so close to each other that I think synching them would be your best bet to avoid a constant blur of light.

***Disclaimer*** I am by NO means a lighting expert. As a matter of fact I am very new to this as I joined the site a couple months ago to learn about this. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
fireman616wfd said:
haha yea i sell sound off so I could get the amber easily but im just not sold on it... I would be the only patrol car in the state with amber in my reverse lights lol. I get enough hell around the department liking 2 amber lightheads in the rear or a TD bar in all amber in a lightbar so lord knows if i put amber in my reverse.

I cant sync the 4 head ultra-lite with the HAWs in my reverse and tailights would be the only problem with that...

Yes you can....set utralite to full steady burn...steady burn the two laws...use an external led flasher to flash them like a traffic backer flasher...the two reverse light laws will flash at the same time then the entire ultralire at one time...done! :)

You can also flash all four laws at once to all of the ultralite...I think that would have a nice effective warning footprint...

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
cbpdogboy said:
Yes you can....set utralite to full steady burn...steady burn the two laws...use an external led flasher to flash them like a traffic backer flasher...the two reverse light laws will flash at the same time then the entire ultralire at one time...done! :)

You can also flash all four laws at once to all of the ultralite...I think that would have a nice effective warning footprint...

yea I knew I could do it like that, meant splitting the heads up on the ultralite..

guess im just going to go with the 2 ghost or 2 mini 3s on a lp bracket instead of attempting the ultralite on the tag.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
As the time gets closer for the install and I have to wait for a few things to get done as far as window tinting, and waiting on K9 Decals im about to die to get it done.

As most know im going with a slicktop and im going to give you a run down of what i am installing on the car:

Front:

All Blue Interior Pinnacle with Takedowns

Blue SOS 8 head Ultra-Lite mounted under top rail of pushbar

Pair of 1400 lumen SOS Flood Work Lights mounted on mid-rail of Pushbar

2 FS Dynamax Speakers mounted under the midrail and bolted to the sides of the pushbar

SOS Hideaways .. Corner in white and turn signal housing in blue

Side:

New style flush mount Intersectors mounted to side of pushbar

Intersectors blue under mirror

side rear window - was thinking of ghost or flush mounting predator IIs to my k9 screen.

Rear:

Rear deck lower SOS pinnacle all blue with amber ends

Tag - either a set of ghost or LP Mini3 lights (or... the 4 head ultra-lite)? ha

LED HAWs - White in reverse and red in taillights with them synced with tag lights.

Inside:

Pro-Copper console

Sound Off 380 Dual Tone Siren/Switchbox

Federal Signal switchbox

2 Vertex Highband Radios

1 Motorolla Low Band (older radio for private channel)

Hope to find a K9 hot-n-pop system or similiar for just the tempature and automatic window roll down.

***now.... as far as the tag lights and side windows, do i put the predator IIs on the mirrors even with the interesectors?? mount the ghost on the tag lip on the mini 3s on the LP bracket there?? or do i put the 4 head ultra-lite on the tag? either way can put whatever in the side back glass because idk how well it will show through 20% tint.*** So.... many choices but i have done alot of narrowing down lol

what do you guys think?

Smebdysme1

Mar 9, 2012
USA, Florida
fireman616wfd said:
As the time gets closer for the install and I have to wait for a few things to get done as far as window tinting, and waiting on K9 Decals im about to die to get it done.

As most know im going with a slicktop and im going to give you a run down of what i am installing on the car:

Front:

All Blue Interior Pinnacle with Takedowns

Blue SOS 8 head Ultra-Lite mounted under top rail of pushbar

Pair of 1400 lumen SOS Flood Work Lights mounted on mid-rail of Pushbar

2 FS Dynamax Speakers mounted under the midrail and bolted to the sides of the pushbar

SOS Hideaways .. Corner in white and turn signal housing in blue

Side:

New style flush mount Intersectors mounted to side of pushbar

Intersectors blue under mirror

side rear window - was thinking of ghost or flush mounting predator IIs to my k9 screen.

Rear:

Rear deck lower SOS pinnacle all blue with amber ends

Tag - either a set of ghost or LP Mini3 lights (or... the 4 head ultra-lite)? ha

LED HAWs - White in reverse and red in taillights with them synced with tag lights.

Inside:

Pro-Copper console

Sound Off 380 Dual Tone Siren/Switchbox

Federal Signal switchbox

2 Vertex Highband Radios

1 Motorolla Low Band (older radio for private channel)

Hope to find a K9 hot-n-pop system or similiar for just the tempature and automatic window roll down.

***now.... as far as the tag lights and side windows, do i put the predator IIs on the mirrors even with the interesectors?? mount the ghost on the tag lip on the mini 3s on the LP bracket there?? or do i put the 4 head ultra-lite on the tag? either way can put whatever in the side back glass because idk how well it will show through 20% tint.*** So.... many choices but i have done alot of narrowing down lol

what do you guys think?

if your concerned about syncing the HAWS with the LEDs on the LP then go with the ghost or mini 3s. i would assume the ghost is the brighter output? if not, then i still think the ultralite 4 would be sweet. i also think predator IIs on the K-9 screen, side window. if you ever have to sit sideways in the road you wont have a lighting issue. :thumbsup: lol

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So im concerned because i dont want to junk my car up but i also want it to look good and have the perfect amount of lighting...

My Sheriff HATES lights on the side of a slicktop?? idk why ha he is old school and says its ugly but i can do what I want.

Below is what I had planned to do but now im second guessing myself.

Alright so I am finally getting another car... it will be a 2007 (i think) CVPI. Right now it is slick top, white car thats going to the paint shop soon to be painted Black/White, and also it has black lettering. Front of the car has a badass ranch hand pushbar.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE:

x1 Sound Off Interior Pinnacle (all blue with takedowns)

Dual Predator on Dash (blue)

8 Head Ultra-Lite (blue) either below the top rail, below the bottom rail, or mounted behind grille???

Pair of Sound Off 1400 Lumen Flood Lights on Pushbar - still dont know if im going to use these. It looks cluttered on my Pushbar with these and ultra-lite when i looked.

x1 Sound Off Interior Pinnacle Rear Lower Deck (blue with Amber ends)

Pair of Sound Off Intersectors (blue) under side mirrors

Pair of Sound Off Flush Mount Intersectors (blue) Side of Pushbar

Pair of Sound Off Predator II flush mount lights (blue) Side rear window mounted on K9 screen

Pair of Sound Off Ghost (blue/blue) mounted on lip of tag

x6 PAIRs of Sound Off Universal LED Haws's - 2 white front corners, 2 white rear reverse, 2 red rear tailights.

Sound Off 380R Dual Tone Siren

x2 Federal Signal Dynamax Speakers

** Should I sync all the side lights? my PB sides, front white corners, mirrors and rear window? if yes then what sync??

** thought about syncing the lower rear as follows: red driver tailight, white driver reverse light, blue passenger tag lip ghost together (red,white, and blue)

SERIOUSLY>>>> need some help haha.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
ok folks, sorry for the hold-up in all of this but some things changed in depts budget, a wrecked car and waiting on a K9 Kennel has delayed my paint job and install longer than I had anticipated. The Sheriff told me that all things will be a go in October :( .

On a side note a recieved my pair of the new Sound Off Nforce in Blue/White split and I am thinking of mounting these on under the top rail of my pushbar and not putting wig-wags back into the car because these whites are REALLY bright and having them hooked to steady burn white when my takedowns on my interior pinnacle are activated.

If I put these there and the 8 head ultra-lite underneath the bottom rail of my pushbar and not put the predator II dashlight would that look ok or just keep the dashlight and not put the Nforces there or put both?

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
NEW... NEW... NEW.... 10-24-2012

ok my car is in the paint shop getting converted to a black/white (delay was a budget issue and new budget is in), all lights, siren, tint, rainguards, K9 kennel etc is in and ready to be put on.

It will be a slicktop and I have a question, i have a dual predator II dashlight and a interior pinnacle with a 8 head ultra-lite (all this is all blue , pinnacle has takedowns) and a pair of the new Sound Off Nforce Nexus lights in Blue/White split.

Question, Do I put the Predator II on the dash and Ultra-Lite on top or bottom of pushbar or do i leave out the dashlight and put the Nforce lights mounted on top rail of pushbar and have them blue/white flashing and have takedown override hooked into my takedowns and mount the 8 head ultra-lite on the bottom bar or just say forget it and put it all on there??

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Update:

Car is out of the paint shop, lights are installed, and im waiting on my windows to be tinted and K9 stickers put on. Will be posted in the install section soon with before and after photos.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Put the nforce lights on the sides of the push bumper, the ultralight on the front, and leave the dash light out.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Hoser said:
Since your Sheriff doesn't like side lights (presuming your talking about side window) throw some Intersectors on there you may just sway his opinion.

I had intersectors on my last car, love the lights but this time i went different and mounted predators to the front mirror caps. I have a pair of Intersectors sitting here brand new in the but i think it may be cluttered with both on the mirrors. Another thing is my tint is so dark on my side windows that I will be wasting time putting lights in my side glass.

I am thinking about HG2 Runners but Idk yet on them.....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.