joeparv has multiple CVPI questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
In the top picture, the black thing in your hand look like the ashtray light, but not sure. Not sure what the other piece is. The gray cable looped in the black loom looks like an antenna cable.

In the middle picture, it looks like the wires to control whatever lights were in the car. It looks like they were attached to a Federal Signal SW300 switchbox.

In the bottom picture, the large black cable is the cable that connects a Motorola radio to the remote head. The two wires off that same cable with the white connector are for the

speaker connection.

The other black cable with all the little multicolored wires looks like the control cable for a Whelen lightbar.

Last edited by a moderator:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
The headlight flasher wire is probably going to be in that bundle with all the yellow connectors. Same with the strobe activation wires. But the question is, is there a power supply somewhere to power the strobes?

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Top pic is a light n radio I believe. Middle is a bunch with clips maybe from the bar they had on it but there's a red one taped up that's barely visible. The bottom is I'm guessin for an arrowstick and also there's a few other wires there. Car has flasher and also strobes with power supply. There's a black button under the driver dash that doesn't do anything. Not yet anyways. Trying to find out whichnisn for the strobes n flasher so I can hook back up. Pain in the ass it is lol

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
These two circled in yellow are cigarette lighter plug and light for factory ashtray.

image.jpg

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
How do I get this to work? It's all wired in to the lights but the power isn't hooked up. Once I run power to it do I need to hook it to a switch? And how would I go about trouble shooting it?? Thanksimage.jpg

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
You have to connect the blue, yellow, red and black wires in order for your headlights operate properly. By connecting the red and black wires, the circuit becomes active and monitors the blue wire for a high beam input. When a high beam input is present, the relay for the yellow wire activates. If your red or black wire were not connected, the pax headlight would not light.

By connecting the orange wire, the flasher circuit is activated while the high beam switch is in the off position. If the high beams were to go high while the flasher is on, then the flasher will stop flashing and both headlights will be steady until the high beams are deactivated. Let me know if you need any more explanation.

Tony

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
ERM said:
You have to connect the blue, yellow, red and black wires in order for your headlights operate properly. By connecting the red and black wires, the circuit becomes active and monitors the blue wire for a high beam input. When a high beam input is present, the relay for the yellow wire activates. If your red or black wire were not connected, the pax headlight would not light.

By connecting the orange wire, the flasher circuit is activated while the high beam switch is in the off position. If the high beams were to go high while the flasher is on, then the flasher will stop flashing and both headlights will be steady until the high beams are deactivated. Let me know if you need any more explanation.

Tony

It's all connected. Passenger side highbeam does not work when I turn in highbeams. Everything is connected I believe except for the power n the wire for a switch. So I gotta find that wire hook it to a switch hook the power wire up to the battery and then once that's done just flip the switch and they'll begin flashing?

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
joeparv said:
It's all connected. Passenger side highbeam does not work when I turn in highbeams. Everything is connected I believe except for the power n the wire for a switch. So I gotta find that wire hook it to a switch hook the power wire up to the battery and then once that's done just flip the switch and they'll begin flashing?

As I said, the red wire must be connected to the flasher in order for the pax side light to work. The orange wire will only make the lights flash, but the red is needed to power the flasher and run its code of monitoring the blue wire and activating the yellow wire for both headlights to come on. Connect the red wire and everything will work normally.

Tony

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
ERM said:
As I said, the red wire must be connected to the flasher in order for the pax side light to work. The orange wire will only make the lights flash, but the red is needed to power the flasher and run its code of monitoring the blue wire and activating the yellow wire for both headlights to come on. Connect the red wire and everything will work normally.

Tony

Ok so orange would be my switch? Can use a normal toggle so power acc n ground to the switch. And make sure that the red wire from the unit is connected to the battery. So once I connect the red wire to the battery the passenger side highbeams will work finally? Normally they both work its just the highbeam On the passenger side that doesn't work because the red wire isn't connected to 12v. So once I power that up my light will work n then to flash I have to connect orange to a switch. Thanks alot man I really appreciate it lol

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Tony, you threw me off with the pax meaning passenger side. I have never heard the passenger side called pax, its always been pass! What you call left? ;)

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
joeparv said:
Ok so orange would be my switch? Can use a normal toggle so power acc n ground to the switch. And make sure that the red wire from the unit is connected to the battery. So once I connect the red wire to the battery the passenger side highbeams will work finally? Normally they both work its just the highbeam On the passenger side that doesn't work because the red wire isn't connected to 12v. So once I power that up my light will work n then to flash I have to connect orange to a switch. Thanks alot man I really appreciate it lol

I think if you cannot figure it out with explanations here, and via the install manual, you should have someone who knows what they are doing install/complete it for you. (and watch them so you can learn)

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
unlisted said:
I think if you cannot figure it out with explanations here, and via the install manual, you should have someone who knows what they are doing install/complete it for you. (and watch them so you can learn)

It's not that I can't do it. It's just figuring out where the wires run to n what's what. There's alot of wire still and what they did was just cut em so gotta trace em back to their source. Thanks tho I appreciate all the help

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Where should I drill the hole n mount the led hideaway on the reverse lights? I have the code 3 6pk hide a blasts. Where should I put them at in comparison to the halogen reverse bulb??image.jpg

jrfive0

Sep 19, 2011
NJ, USA
I put vertexes in about the 5 o'clock position relative to the where the reverse light bulb goes in your picture, there is a circle already there if you look.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
jrfive0 said:
I put vertexes in about the 5 o'clock position relative to the where the reverse light bulb goes in your picture, there is a circle already there if you look.

ok i see what you mean. its pretty much directly underneath the reg bulbs position. did it give you a problem when puttin back on with clearence issues?

jrfive0

Sep 19, 2011
NJ, USA
nope not at all, i used whelen vertexes in the two crown vics i just did, i cant see the code3's being that much different

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
jrfive0 said:
nope not at all, i used whelen vertexes in the two crown vics i just did, i cant see the code3's being that much different

these have a heatsink on the back of them. the vertexs do not. i also have them on my other vehicle but theres more than enough room for that. maybe someone else mite have done it and would chime in and give some info lol

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
joeparv said:
It's not that I can't do it. It's just figuring out where the wires run to n what's what. There's alot of wire still and what they did was just cut em so gotta trace em back to their source. Thanks tho I appreciate all the help

Headlight flashers that someone else installed are not my favorite either. You are in for some tracing and comparing to the pdf file...

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Yea I just did them. I put it above the bulb and on the outside. So if you were looking at it from the back they'd be at about 2oclock position. Thanks for all the help guys

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
The new Feniex Cannon dual color would have gone into existing hole. Mode 1 would be reverse lights and mode 2 would be warning. Similar to how I did my fog lights...

Something to keep in mind for future installs. Until Mar 8th we have a great deal on them. PM for more info

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Kd8bao said:
The new Feniex Cannon dual color would have gone into existing hole. Mode 1 would be reverse lights and mode 2 would be warning. Similar to how I did my fog lights...

Was thinking about getting a pair of those. But was prob gonna wait til the 3 came out instead.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Honestly, If you are not afraid to drill into your reverse light housing then do it. If you want more light for a reverse light then get the cannon with clear to use for reverse mode. I woud drill below the factory location (the 5 o'clock position is probably ideal). I will be positioning my cannon facing straight out and be doing solid colors to get the full power of the cannon. I may do a second one in the factory reverse light bulb hole in the opposite color(i run red/blue). The only reason I will doing this is because my reverse lights are disconnected. They have been ever since I had an IR camera installed on my car as they interfere with it. That is a "luxury" i have that you may not though as I typically dont reccommend disconnecting reverse lights all together.

When I have a customer asking about the cannons for replacement reverse lights my questions will be:

-Are you unhappy with the reverse light output as it stands? If so I will tell them to add a cannon IN ADDITION too their reverse light.

-Are you unwilling to have a hole drilled into your light housing (that a plug can close when you remove it)? If so, this is about the only way I will push to have a cannon placed into that position. However, they are not DOT approved so each customer will need to be explained that risk.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Already drilled and put them in. Drilled he hopes at the top of the housing at about the 2oclock position which is where most of te clearance is at so that the housing would fit back into the trunk. Had to snip a little sheet metal away so that it would fit but wasnt hard at all. It's about the only place they would fit without making more adjustments other then just a little snip here like I did. The heat sink on em is a little thick so that's why I had my problem I had. Will put a video up shortly so yous can see the finished product

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
FireEMSPolice said:
Didnt Whelen or someone make lights that go in the socket for the OEM lighting assembly?
Yes Sir. Whelen made the HALO system that was the only system approved by DOT, FMCSA, or some other federal dept.(can't remember which one) that could replace the OEM lights. The approval was only for the CVPI though if I am not mistaken.

04P71

Nov 25, 2012
New York
hitman38367 said:
Yes Sir. Whelen made the HALO system that was the only system approved by DOT, FMCSA, or some other federal dept.(can't remember which one) that could replace the OEM lights. The approval was only for the CVPI though if I am not mistaken.

And think they're for 2006+ CVPI's

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
hitman38367 said:

and they are freaking AWESOME! (even in non DOT approved vehicles.. ahem) :cool: :thumbsup:

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Be nice if they came out with them again. But I guess the cannons are closest to it available so far. So if I out a pair in my taillights could I just get solid red then? So it would be warning and also work as the regular brake lights do already? Or if I did the front I could do say amber for te turn signals and then have the second color white as a strobe??

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
What is your opinions on the best , brightest, or easiest install set of grille lights for a CVPI? Prob going to go with 2 so wouldn't want them to be tiny. I was thinking possibly the Weldon diamondbacks or a perimeter light such as a 3x7 or 4x6. What do yous think??

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
unlisted said:
and they are freaking AWESOME! (even in non DOT approved vehicles.. ahem) :cool: :thumbsup:
yes they are!!! I have a 4 bulb set for the taillights of the Tahoe I am getting and I also have a 2 bulb set that I will be modifying the DRL spots on the Tahoe for. (kinda like Cajun did with the Batmobile but all red. lol!!!) :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.