joeparv has multiple CVPI questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Since it ties into my question, what is/are the best halogen/strobe grille lights for a CV with the louvered grille?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
joeparv said:
What is your opinions on the best , brightest, or easiest install set of grille lights for a CVPI? Prob going to go with 2 so wouldn't want them to be tiny. I was thinking possibly the Weldon diamondbacks or a perimeter light such as a 3x7 or 4x6. What do yous think??

foxtrot5 said:
Since it ties into my question, what is/are the best halogen/strobe grille lights for a CV with the louvered grille?

If you want to go as big as possible, Id say a Whelen 600 series or a similar size...

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
joeparv said:
Be nice if they came out with them again. But I guess the cannons are closest to it available so far. So if I out a pair in my taillights could I just get solid red then? So it would be warning and also work as the regular brake lights do already? Or if I did the front I could do say amber for te turn signals and then have the second color white as a strobe??

Yes and yes. This version does not have dimming capabilities. The version 2 will be able to act as a dual filament bulb. So I used a set in my fog lights of white red. Steady burn white and red and white for warning. Now mind you that these are not DOT yet. They are in the process from what I have been told.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
TritonBoulder47 said:
If you want to go as big as possible, Id say a Whelen 600 series or a similar size...

I mocked up 2x 600s in the grille and between them and my 2x SA314 speakers, I'm concerned about airflow problems, any word on this?

Dissension

Dec 20, 2011
United States, AR
As a complete novice, I cannot speak to the effectiveness of such an arrangement, but I think this totally looks cool:

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5459_7111699435_b90901a713_z.jpg

(This is not my photo; all rights are reserved by pmp205.)

Unless this particular cruiser was converted to a slicktop and removed from K-9 service, I've seen pictures of at least one other car with the same arrangement. I assume it works well enough without interfering with air flow too severely.

uniden278

Oct 10, 2011
Winthrop, MA
Lets say, for example, I was using a set of blue/white Cannons on my '04 Taurus as a replacement for the reverse lights. Am I correct in understanding that the blue and white can be used both as warning colors, and there is also an override (for lack of better term) to make the white come on steady burn when the vehicle is in reverse?

An on a side note, anybody successfully and effectively using these on that style backup light yet?

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
uniden278 said:
Lets say, for example, I was using a set of blue/white Cannons on my '04 Taurus as a replacement for the reverse lights. Am I correct in understanding that the blue and white can be used both as warning colors, and there is also an override (for lack of better term) to make the white come on steady burn when the vehicle is in reverse?

An on a side note, anybody successfully and effectively using these on that style backup light yet?

Yes you are correct. I havent installed mine in the cvpi yet.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
uniden278 said:

Yes you can still use both colors as warning.

Also... the cannons can be special ordered to have one mode input be dimmer than the rest. I believe there is a $5-10 upcharge on them.

uniden278

Oct 10, 2011
Winthrop, MA
FEVER said:
Yes you can still use both colors as warning.

Also... the cannons can be special ordered to have one mode input be dimmer than the rest. I believe there is a $5-10 upcharge on them.

Stupid question, but what is the benefit of that, specifically in that type of application?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
uniden278 said:
Stupid question, but what is the benefit of that, specifically in that type of application?

I won't be doing it unless requested but say you want a tail light and a brake light function out of the cannon. the only way you could do it is to have one input mode dimmed for tail light and then the other full power for brake functions.

Im sure some installers will come up with other creative functions... maybe like a low power mode for night time operations?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Jamey@NNE said:
Or just put in a resister which is what I was told they do to dim it.

Correct.. actually.. I know which one they put on it.. Let me see if i can find a link for one. Give me a second.

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
me personally would go with something like a whelen tir6. there big and bright enought, yet small enough to not look doofy or effect airflow to the radiators. two 600's and a speaker in the middle? you might as well take the radiator out haha. that would certainly look badass. but iv actually seen a whelen 4 head dominator in the grill of a crown vic.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I've got two speakers and I want grille lights... I may end up looking for 500 series-ish. Catch is they have to be strobe or halogen, preferably halogen.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
And just to be clear, I'm talking about mounthing them BEHIND the grill... Not in front of it on a push bar or anything...

A radiator doesnt need direct air flow... As long as there is circulation you shouldn't see much (if any) temperatur difference... Besides, the CVPIs get a good ammount of air ducted from underneath the car to the radiotor...

Just for refference, this is how the grill of my Avalanache used to be set-up, and I experience absolutely NO temeratur change...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_ed71f000.jpg

And then I had a Billett Grill overlay ontop of my factory grill, which I roughly estimate gave me a 75-80% reduction is surface space for air... Which accounts for the cross bar frame, and the fact that 1/3 of the radiator is behind the bumber...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_2012_03_22_15_15_40_442.jpg

As long as you mount the lights away from the radiator, as in not right up against it, you should be good...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I believe so... i have the link to the actual one feniex gets from a supplier but I think it is at home. I'll look tonight when i get home from K-9 training.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Awesome, thanks for the info!

spc2315

Mar 27, 2011
Connecticut
When I had my 2005 Cvpi I hade many setups for the grill. First were 2 tir6s, then 2 lin6s, then 4 tir3s and finally 2 ions. By far the ions were my favorite. Slimline and pack a bright punch. I used the standard 500 series Cvpi mounts with the ion swivel bracket to make them work perfectly. Only thing I would've done differently was double stack 2 ions on either side to have a brighter, bigger footprint!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
spc2315 said:
When I had my 2005 Cvpi I hade many setups for the grill. First were 2 tir6s, then 2 lin6s, then 4 tir3s and finally 2 ions. By far the ions were my favorite. Slimline and pack a bright punch. I used the standard 500 series Cvpi mounts with the ion swivel bracket to make them work perfectly. Only thing I would've done differently was double stack 2 ions on either side to have a brighter, bigger footprint!

I want to quad stack Feniex T-6s for that exact reason. :crazy:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
As much as I'd love to use IONs or a similar sized LED product, I'm determined to do this build using only halogen/strobe lights.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Right now i have 2 d-44 speakers and 2 rigid dully d2's infront of the grille on the cvpi and dont have any problems at highway speed, city driving and I even am known to leave it infront of the shop running for hours with a/c full blast.

Im really debating ordering a set of duallys in red and blue.......

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
It's unbelievable how so many of you overthink this stuff to the point of absurdity, they all do the same thing- they blink, just get 2 or 4 lights of reasonable size and mount them

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
CHIEFOPS said:
It's unbelievable how so many of you overthink this stuff to the point of absurdity, they all do the same thing- they blink, just get 2 or 4 lights of reasonable size and mount them

God forbid someone wants to see if someone has any neat new ideas or has run into any issues before they shell out their hard earned money.

I think most of us come here to discuss things like this. Most dealers are more than willing to help someone who might need a little input because well...... That's our job.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
"neat new ideas" for a 15 year old car/grill setup? There are a few hundred different halogen, strobe and LED lights suitable for grill mounting, and there's just one best/brightest/easiest to install?

Here's a tip- decide which technology, what color, how many, and budget, then buy whatever meets those criteria, they all do the same thing.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
CHIEFOPS said:

CHIEFOPS said:
"neat new ideas" for a 15 year old car/grill setup? There are a few hundred different halogen, strobe and LED lights suitable for grill mounting, and there's just one best/brightest/easiest to install?

Here's a tip- decide which technology, what color, how many, and budget, then buy whatever meets those criteria, they all do the same thing.

Holy hell, calm down. I'm asking for input on a project to make sure that my investment is capable of doing what I want it to do without having any adverse effects on my vehicle. I have specific ideas in mind for how I want things done (technology, check) and if they won't interfere with vehicle systems I want two big lights (how many, check), SC only allows me to run Red, White, or Amber so I picked Red (color, check), and budget is dependent on what kind of lights I select (budget, check).

We're all aware that when it really boils down to it, all of our lights display either a flashing or steady visible signal to other drivers but with the massive discussion on flashpatterns, flash rates, light placement, and other factors there are obviously many many ways to "blink" them.

You signed up for a forum dedicated to emergency lights and sirens. If you're only here for the sirens, then stick to "Audible Warning Equipment" where things only blink to indicate an error with the system. You're in "Visual Warning Equipment" where things blink at different rates and at different patterns, deal with it.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
So, from my observation and recommendation, you concluded I'm not calm? And what exactly do I need to deal with?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
so, back to the lights...

i like the Whelen M4s, M6s, or M7s behind the grill, on the grill, or preferably, on a push bumper of the CVPI. You cant go wrong with any of those.

i know strobe and halogen were mentioned before, i just dont see the point. i would hands down put a set of LED grill lights in a CVPI.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
CHIEFOPS said:
So, from my observation and recommendation, you concluded I'm not calm? And what exactly do I need to deal with?

You appear aggrivated that we are discussing options on grille lights for a common model vehicle normally used for police work. You need to deal with us having this discussion.

Storm4200 said:
so, back to the lights...

i like the Whelen M4s, M6s, or M7s behind the grill, on the grill, or preferably, on a push bumper of the CVPI. You cant go wrong with any of those.

i know strobe and halogen were mentioned before, i just dont see the point. i would hands down put a set of LED grill lights in a CVPI.

My project is to prove to myself and several members of my FD that a proper strobe/halogen (read: low budget) install can be just as or more effective then some of the LED setups I've seen out there.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
foxtrot5 said:
You appear aggrivated that we are discussing options on grille lights for a common model vehicle normally used for police work. You need to deal with us having this discussion.

My project is to prove to myself and several members of my FD that a proper strobe/halogen (read: low budget) install can be just as or more effective then some of the LED setups I've seen out there.

I don't know how you concluded I'm aggravated, I simply made an observation. I'm also still trying to understand what "you need to deal with...." means, it suggests something silly in concept. And since you clearly didn't comprehend my comment, I acknowledged strobe and halogen lights as suitable warning equipment for your project.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
CHIEFOPS said:
I don't know how you concluded I'm aggravated, I simply made an observation. I'm also still trying to understand what "you need to deal with...." means, it suggests something silly in concept. And since you clearly didn't comprehend my comment, I acknowledged strobe and halogen lights as suitable warning equipment for your project.

The second part of my comment was not directed at you. The first part, well you came accross (to me) as aggrivated that we were discussing emergency warning lights on an emergency warning light forum. If that was not the case, then my bad. I'm sorry.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I love tomar but I don't like their custom grill. I also love large lightheads, but I think they tend to look a little awk in some sedan grills (when they essentially take up the whole grill)

Personally, I would go with 2 solid color TIR6 or 2 solid color tomar rect 37 LED behind a honey comb grill. They both offer solid size footprints for the vics, IMO, with plenty of penetration thru the grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhaberny

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.