joeparv has multiple CVPI questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
So what your trying to say is I don't know what I'm doing because I am asking other people questions and opinions on things? I don't know about you but I know I don't know everything there is to know and I'm sure you don't either. And I'm sure you've asked people questions also and others for help haven't ya? I'm sure if your sink leaks you call a plumber or if you electric goes out you call an electrician unless you think you know everything and your so "perfect " that you don't have to ask others for help when u get stuck on something?

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
unlisted said:
I said the same thing months ago.. I'm just waiting for the news report of a whacker.. I mean "professionally" upfitted crown vic on the road, on fire.. with some lights half twinkling between the power arcs.

joeparv- find a professional upfitter, and pay him/her to install/train you. watch them, and learn from them. Don't simply expect coming here to train you- it never will be a substitute for real life, hands on experience. It took me about 15 installs before I really knew what I was doing, and I still learn every time I do an install (and I was comfortable/understood low voltage wiring before my first install- you don't).

I do know what I'm doing I simply just did not cut the wire. Had everything else done. And also didnt want to cut the wire I just spliced into it. And I'm assuming your a psychic and know everything I've done?? I've done atleast 45 installs on various vehicles. Mostly strobes , deck,grille , perimeter, full size bars , sirens , cages pretty much everything except the flashers. So for you to say I don't know what I'm doing because I asked a question to get help and now you and the other guy are Criticizing me because I used the forum for one of the purposes that its used for and now I'm supposed to sit here and take shit from you 2?? Yea I don't think so. I'm not gonna bash on someone just because they asked for help. I don't know about you but I stopped doing that in middle school

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
joeparv said:
So what your trying to say is I don't know what I'm doing because I am asking other people questions and opinions on things? I don't know about you but I know I don't know everything there is to know and I'm sure you don't either. And I'm sure you've asked people questions also and others for help haven't ya? I'm sure if your sink leaks you call a plumber or if you electric goes out you call an electrician unless you think you know everything and your so "perfect " that you don't have to ask others for help when u get stuck on something?

This should now be in the ring... oh the fun that will be had...

Joe, they are not saying they know everything or trying to belittle you. All they are doing is questioning your status as a "Professional Upfitter" when you are asking questions about basic things. No one has faulted you for asking questions. Just that you claim to be a professional upfitter. Most of us are here to help for things such as this. Listing yourself as a professional upfitter without having sufficient training/certifications is decieving.

Also... in regards to your own argument... when my sink leaks... I call a plumber because he is the professional...

joeparv said:
I do know what I'm doing I simply just did not cut the wire. Had everything else done. And also didnt want to cut the wire I just spliced into it. And I'm assuming your a psychic and know everything I've done?? I've done atleast 45 installs on various vehicles. Mostly strobes , deck,grille , perimeter, full size bars , sirens , cages pretty much everything except the flashers. So for you to say I don't know what I'm doing because I asked a question to get help and now you and the other guy are Criticizing me because I used the forum for one of the purposes that its used for and now I'm supposed to sit here and take shit from you 2?? Yea I don't think so. I'm not gonna bash on someone just because they asked for help. I don't know about you but I stopped doing that in middle school

once again, your perception of them giving you "shit" is off. Theyboth said they were not trying to bust your balls.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
joeparv said:

Dude, I don't really care who you are or what you claim to have done. Re-read this thread in its entirety, and other threads where you asked questions... and ask for elaboration on, and still don't understand. I (and others) are not simply picking on you, we are only calling you out, as we would call anyone else out.

I highly doubt any installer with at least 45 installs under their belt would be asking the kind of questions you are.... then quickly demanding elaboration when you get the correct answer since you still don't understand. This is what people (besides myself) take issue with.

I mean comon, are you trying to claim you don't know the difference between "cut" and "splice"???

(for the record, I am saying this as a member, not as a mod)

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
unlisted said:
Dude, I don't really care who you are or what you claim to have done. Re-read this thread in its entirety, and other threads where you asked questions... and ask for elaboration on, and still don't understand. I (and others) are not simply picking on you, we are only calling you out, as we would call anyone else out.

I highly doubt any installer with at least 45 installs under their belt would be asking the kind of questions you are.... then quickly demanding elaboration when you get the correct answer since you still don't understand. This is what people (besides myself) take issue with.

I mean comon, are you trying to claim you don't know the difference between "cut" and "splice"???

(for the record, I am saying this as a member, not as a mod)

No sorry not at all. I do all newer vehicles from stock to outfitted. I've only done about maybe 7 vehicles with flashers that we've done here. As with the newer vehicles its all plug n play hook up which is why I was asking questions about my 13 year old flasher I have which is pretty Much obsolete for my own pov

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
joeparv said:
No sorry not at all. I do all newer vehicles from stock to outfitted. I've only done about maybe 7 vehicles with flashers that we've done here. As with the newer vehicles its all plug n play hook up which is why I was asking questions about my 13 year old flasher I have which is pretty Much obsolete for my own pov

I have to agree with the previous posts questioning your "professionalism".

"Plug n Play" does not a professional installer make.

Nor does your attitude. You came here to ask for help (more than a few times) and that is totally acceptable and everyone was more than gracious and helpful to you requests. As time went by, we realized that perhaps this was above your head and a member politely pointed that very fact out. Now all of a sudden he (and the others of us thinking what he said) are the villains? A week or two ago we had a young man on another thread who thought it was "stupid" to purchase business liability insurance to do install work or to register as a business with the state taxing authorities. He may have had the skills, just not the business sense to be a "professional".

It seems the big problem here is an issue with age. Youth today seems to think they are owed the title without the work (plug n plays make you a PRO now? Really?) or the respect they need to earn. You have gained a lot of information here for free. Most of the help came from experiance gained from hundreds of installs and a maturity and professional desire to help a younger member. You should now shut up and thank every single member here for the resource this site offers.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Firetrux said:
I have to agree with the previous posts questioning your "professionalism".

"Plug n Play" does not a professional installer make.

Nor does your attitude. You came here to ask for help (more than a few times) and that is totally acceptable and everyone was more than gracious and helpful to you requests. As time went by, we realized that perhaps this was above your head and a member politely pointed that very fact out. Now all of a sudden he (and the others of us thinking what he said) are the villains? A week or two ago we had a young man on another thread who thought it was "stupid" to purchase business liability insurance to do install work or to register as a business with the state taxing authorities. He may have had the skills, just not the business sense to be a "professional".

It seems the big problem here is an issue with age. Youth today seems to think they are owed the title without the work (plug n plays make you a PRO now? Really?) or the respect they need to earn. You have gained a lot of information here for free. Most of the help came from experiance gained from hundreds of installs and a maturity and professional desire to help a younger member. You should now shut up and thank every single member here for the resource this site offers.

Your cometely getting at what I'm saying the wrong way. The headlight flasher that we install are all plug n play flashers. There is not strobe plug n play or lightbars that plug n play. Unless your using a dash light with a 12 v plug on it then ur plug playing. I don't understand what is so hard for yous to realize. I'm not a genius and neither is anybody else. I simply ask for help on things I don't understand. Things are changing constantly , upgrades, new this new that. I simply just didnt understand a few things and asked for help. And yes I am getting criticized for it because look at what they're saying and also you as we'll. just be ause I don't know "everything" doesn't mean anybody should question my professionalism. Just because now I simply unplug the headlight n plug in the flasher doesn't mean anything. I just simply Never worked with one of the older styles, again its about 13 years old the flasher I have. Just be ause I don't know all there is to know because things are constantly changing doesnt mean anything at all. Its just simply someone elses opinion. I don't sit around on here allday long and bash on someone who asked for help. That's a childish thing to do and I didn't appreciate it all

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
We are trying to work with joe about getting his point across better. :rolleyes:

joeparv said:
No I have one f**king thread I can post stuff about. I can NOT close my own thread. So everytime I post another one its gonna get moved into that one. And I Do NOT want MY thread open any more I would like it completely closed and locked.

I guess my point is that we are all getting frustrated with each other, and real communication broke down long ago. Joe-ask your questions politely and understand you may not like the answers. It seems you don't understand the answers you got already on a tech level, which leads people to believe you are not at a level yet where you should perform any electrical work.

The thing about the install diagrams you were given is this: If you can't read them, you shouldn't be doing the install. It's a blunt fact of life. I would suggest getting some training or at the least study time in re 12v vehicle terms and you will be able to wire straight off the instructions with little or no help.

As far as your posts, we are trying to keep all the crownvic help related questions you have together, that's all. I posted your rant to staff because I think it shows a pattern of not listening to, or not grasping, the answers you get. It's ok to admit you are in over your head. I understand you wanted lock one post and start a new one for each question. We have explained to you that because of the number of vic questions you have had, your posts were grouped.

I don't want this in the ring, I just want to give context on the frustrating journey of this thread.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
JohnMarcson said:
We are trying to work with joe about getting his point across better.

:bonk:

wowzers

god help him if this goes to the ring...

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
joeparv said:
Things are changing constantly , upgrades, new this new that. I simply just didnt understand a few things and asked for help. And yes I am getting criticized for it because look at what they're saying and also you as we'll. just be ause I don't know "everything" doesn't mean anybody should question my professionalism. I just simply Never worked with one of the older styles, again its about 13 years old the flasher I have. Just be ause I don't know all there is to know because things are constantly changing doesnt mean anything at all. Its just simply someone elses opinion. I don't sit around on here allday long and bash on someone who asked for help. That's a childish thing to do and I didn't appreciate it all

You missed the point I was making. I am not at all "bashing" you. I am not a dealer, so no skin off my teeth. Your claim to "professional installer" is what I am speaking to. Plain and simple you have not earned that title. You used the plumber analogy. By your measure of professionalism, if you know how to turn on and off a faucet or flush a toilet it would make you a "professional plumber". Yes things change, but if you can not get the very basic design of a 13 year old crown Vic cruiser with all the wiring already there and tons of manuals and on line help and pictures available, you are never going to touch a modern fire apparatus or police car.

I now have to question the law enforcement, EMS and firefighter claims too...

The Internet isn't about how much you can lie. Someone will always be able to tell. Use this site as it is intended, learn and grow and take your lumps like a man. It is all apart of growing up. Never stop learning.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
joeparv,

I understand you are upset, but try to look at this situation from the outside, looking in, instead of from the inside, looking out.

I know your threads have been merged, so the chronology might be off, but in reading your thread, these are the reasons why I question your abilities as a "professional" upfitter:

You mention you have done installations on 45 vehicles. I'm sure some of those installs have been on CVPIs. However, it appears as if you are having the majority of your difficulty in dealing with how to install headlight flashers, one of the most basic types of emergency equipment. Almost every emergency vehicle has headlight flashers. You are also having difficulty identifying the different types of wiring harnesses that are underneath a CVPI. You are unable to differentiate between factory wiring harnesses, fuse boxes, ashtray lights, Arrowstik harnesses, and other wires that are under there. A professional would definitely know his way around the bottom of the dash. That's where almost all the wires would end up for the controllers of all those other cars you've hooked up strobes, lightbars, and sirens for.

When "unlisted" suggested you have someone do the install for you, you replied that you knew how to do it, but you were just asking where wires go to, and where "what goes to what." If you don't know where the wires go, then you don't know how to install whatever it is you need to install.

Some of the questions you ask about other emergency equipment also raise some questions about your skills as an installer. You ask what where to install LED HAWs in taillights, you ask what the best grille lights are for a certain application, and you asked "what the hell is a" Motorola Astro Spectra W9. You also asked for help in identifying wiring harnesses that were in the trunk of a CVPI, how to retrofit newer all-red taillights on a CVPI that took the red/amber ones, and how to clean out the inside of a headlight assembly. You also have difficulty trying to figure out how to make the horn work on one of your CVPIs. I would think someone who has done installs on dozens of police cars would know what most of these things are, or what equipment would be better for each application. Even after you were told what those wiring harnesses in the trunk were, you still couldn't tell if they were for a radio or for a siren. That also leads me to believe you don't really read the answers that members have given you.

Then there was a section of your thread where you were having difficulty troubleshooting some strobe power supplies. You mentioned you have done strobe installs on some of the projects you've worked on. You then had questions on amperage/wattage. These are electrical questions that every installer should know. If you use the wrong fuse, or the wrong gauge wire, the emergency equipment won't work properly. This also leads me to believe you don't have that much experience with the wiring, as you still kept bringing up questions about splicing wires and joining wires with other wires. Electrical and wiring skills are critical when installing emergency equipment in vehicles.

All that said, the way your questions are asked also doesn't help. When you use long run-on sentences, bad grammar, and end almost every question or statement with "LOL," or, "what a pain in the ass this is," it makes it seem as if you're not really taking the help you're being offered seriously. You have gotten help from a whole lot of people on the board, many of them are professional upfitters. I would probably get defensive and upset if someone questioned my abilities, also. I think you really need to take a step back and try to watch other installers work if you want to consider yourself a professional. I don't know you personally. I'm not trying to attack your character. All I'm saying is I think you have a long way to go to consider yourself a professional upfitter.

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
dg0223 said:
joeparv,

I understand you are upset, but try to look at this situation from the outside, looking in, instead of from the inside, looking out.

I know your threads have been merged, so the chronology might be off, but in reading your thread, these are the reasons why I question your abilities as a "professional" upfitter:

You mention you have done installations on 45 vehicles. I'm sure some of those installs have been on CVPIs. However, it appears as if you are having the majority of your difficulty in dealing with how to install headlight flashers, one of the most basic types of emergency equipment. Almost every emergency vehicle has headlight flashers. You are also having difficulty identifying the different types of wiring harnesses that are underneath a CVPI. You are unable to differentiate between factory wiring harnesses, fuse boxes, ashtray lights, Arrowstik harnesses, and other wires that are under there. A professional would definitely know his way around the bottom of the dash. That's where almost all the wires would end up for the controllers of all those other cars you've hooked up strobes, lightbars, and sirens for.

When "unlisted" suggested you have someone do the install for you, you replied that you knew how to do it, but you were just asking where wires go to, and where "what goes to what." If you don't know where the wires go, then you don't know how to install whatever it is you need to install.

Some of the questions you ask about other emergency equipment also raise some questions about your skills as an installer. You ask what where to install LED HAWs in taillights, you ask what the best grille lights are for a certain application, and you asked "what the hell is a" Motorola Astro Spectra W9. You also asked for help in identifying wiring harnesses that were in the trunk of a CVPI, how to retrofit newer all-red taillights on a CVPI that took the red/amber ones, and how to clean out the inside of a headlight assembly. You also have difficulty trying to figure out how to make the horn work on one of your CVPIs. I would think someone who has done installs on dozens of police cars would know what most of these things are, or what equipment would be better for each application. Even after you were told what those wiring harnesses in the trunk were, you still couldn't tell if they were for a radio or for a siren. That also leads me to believe you don't really read the answers that members have given you.

Then there was a section of your thread where you were having difficulty troubleshooting some strobe power supplies. You mentioned you have done strobe installs on some of the projects you've worked on. You then had questions on amperage/wattage. These are electrical questions that every installer should know. If you use the wrong fuse, or the wrong gauge wire, the emergency equipment won't work properly. This also leads me to believe you don't have that much experience with the wiring, as you still kept bringing up questions about splicing wires and joining wires with other wires. Electrical and wiring skills are critical when installing emergency equipment in vehicles.

All that said, the way your questions are asked also doesn't help. When you use long run-on sentences, bad grammar, and end almost every question or statement with "LOL," or, "what a pain in the ass this is," it makes it seem as if you're not really taking the help you're being offered seriously. You have gotten help from a whole lot of people on the board, many of them are professional upfitters. I would probably get defensive and upset if someone questioned my abilities, also. I think you really need to take a step back and try to watch other installers work if you want to consider yourself a professional. I don't know you personally. I'm not trying to attack your character. All I'm saying is I think you have a long way to go to consider yourself a professional upfitter.

As I said before we do all later model vehicles nothing older then 2011 we've done. My first CVPI was a 98 so 15 years old with equipment the same age. New CVPI is 2001 so again 12 years old. We don't have crown Vic's. just a few chargers caprices Tahoe explorer and Taurus. N a few malibus also. So again of course I don't know what stuff is that's 15 years old. Things are constantly improved and have never worked on a flasher I had to cut the wires for. The ones we use are the plug in styles. Been doing it for about 4 years now so couldn't tell ya what a 13 year old wire is, or from what when I've never had to use them at all. That's what I've been trying to say but I guess nobody could understand what I was writing. Do you understand it now?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
joeparv said:
As I said before we do all later model vehicles nothing older then 2011 we've done. My first CVPI was a 98 so 15 years old with equipment the same age. New CVPI is 2001 so again 12 years old. We don't have crown Vic's. just a few chargers caprices Tahoe explorer and Taurus. N a few malibus also. So again of course I don't know what stuff is that's 15 years old. Things are constantly improved and have never worked on a flasher I had to cut the wires for. The ones we use are the plug in styles. Been doing it for about 4 years now so couldn't tell ya what a 13 year old wire is, or from what when I've never had to use them at all. That's what I've been trying to say but I guess nobody could understand what I was writing. Do you understand it now?

What kind of sirens/controllers do you use when upfitting vehicles?

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Now I am getting totally freaked about his claim he is also police/EMS, and firefighter.

Can you imagine him dealing with the public with his total lack of understanding?

I feel sorry for any departments he may work at. I thought we had pretty standardized testing to cull these kind of people out of the safety services. :no:

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Firetrux said:
Now I am getting totally freaked about his claim he is also police/EMS, and firefighter.

Can you imagine him dealing with the public with his total lack of understanding?

I feel sorry for any departments he may work at. I thought we had pretty standardized testing to cull these kind of people out of the safety services. :no:

One you can go and f%ck yourself for acting like your 10 years old following everyone elses lead. 2 you can give me your address and I can come over n shove my foot up your ass. And 3 I'm glad I give you something to talk about with your pathetic life where all you have to do is sit n criticize other people who you know nothing about to make yourself feel better about yourself. I'm glad you can get a kick out of being a follower.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Marcson doesn't want this thread in the Ring, so I'm going to close it until he has time to look it over.

joeparv said:
One you can go and f%ck yourself for acting like your 10 years old following everyone elses lead. 2 you can give me your address and I can come over n shove my foot up your ass. And 3 I'm glad I give you something to talk about with your pathetic life where all you have to do is sit n criticize other people who you know nothing about to make yourself feel better about yourself. I'm glad you can get a kick out of being a follower.

That kind of response will get you in hot water. You're track record in this thread is not so great, so I would take some time to calm down before posting again, where ever this thread lands. Right now, elite907 is screaming at his computer screen because I locked this before he got to battle with you, something that probably would have ended with even deeper trouble for both of you.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Joe, I will go through and prune off the off topic posts and move them to the ring, then we can figure out how to handle any additional questions you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhaberny

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.